poor fuel economy 1.0 TSI 3 clylinder

There are Plug in Hybrid Car reviews where the reviewers are saying that the Fuel Tanks are more sealed (Special Venting) on the vehicles to stop the petrol going off because a tank full of fuel can sit so long unused if the cars engine is only running occasionally.

Unleaded does go off as it is easy to see if you leave some in a container even with a lid on but some room for evaporation and oxygen / H2o to get in.

Now driven 6,500 miles since August purchase, more than I expected and a slight increase on average mileage with previous car.  All is working as it should, however have suffered one puncture with the pain of replacing a tyre with just 4,000 miles on it (and high price of the rare 215/40/17 tyres). I've got 14 entries on my mileage log (some top ups combined so yes, more than 14 visits to a petrol station), generally run on Tesco / Sainsbury fuel, paid 1.129 today, overall mpg is 47.3, best was 52mpg when was confined to 50mph on the motorway whilst using the spare, worse 44.9 earlier this month with spirited commuting to ensure journey time did not exceed 60 minutes.  

Am I happy with the purchase, generally yes, although I would like to see even better mpg, perhaps this will come is the spring with fewer cold starts. Indeed, it's a slow car to warm up in the mornings, the 12k offer on Toledo meant I missed out on a few extras I would have been comfortable to pay extra for ... like heated seats and reversing camera.

10 tank fulls now and 4229 miles tracked on Fuelly.

Car is averaging 46.2 MPG (best 52.2 MPG / worst 43.9 MPG. which is 10-15% better than the 1.2 TSi (Rapid) it replaced - happy with that:thumbup:

The Toledo also warms up much quicker than my Diesel Yeti and is now 10% in front of the Yeti in fuel economy terms.

Edited by pinkpanther

On ‎19‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 16:07, Fab Estate said:

I have now done 3,300 in my Toledo. My best tankful was 60mpg and my worse tankful which was last week was 54.7mpg, most of my driving is mainly motorway or moving traffic. I fill up mainly with Sainsburys because it is the cheapest.

are you driving the same car? pushing it along the road flintstone style?

apart from the fact your getting close to diesel figures there its more than myself and 2 other owners have managed.

34 minutes ago, cypher007 said:

are you driving the same car? pushing it along the road flintstone style?

apart from the fact your getting close to diesel figures there its more than myself and 2 other owners have managed.

I am driving the Toledo 1.0 TSI  bought from Westgate Grimsby. I probably have a lighter right foot than most so get from 0-60 in 20 secs instead of 10 secs but still drive at 70-75 on motorways.

^^^ Maybe best driving like a petrol than a diesel then,

get it up to speed and keep momentum, driving like you have MIss Daisy next to you might be the issue.

must admit haven't had it on the motorway yet, but even so I haven't seen better than 54-56 like the others and that was taking it very easy 45-50mph on A roads.

when I did try 70mph on a straight bit of road it returned 47mpg :( . so I went back to 50-56.

I am not sure if changing up gears early when the dial advises helps because it is very easy to get high revs with that engine and another obvious thing is don't acelerate up to red lights but just let the car roll.

Going off the topic slightly, my wife has just got a new leon estate auto and her mpg has gone up at least 10mpg to her old leon and I think the main reason for the increase is that the car is in the right gear most of the time and not like when she was driving a manual when third gear was the main gear she was driving in whether 10 mph or 70mph.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, cypher007 said:

must admit haven't had it on the motorway yet, but even so I haven't seen better than 54-56 like the others and that was taking it very easy 45-50mph on A roads.

when I did try 70mph on a straight bit of road it returned 47mpg :( . so I went back to 50-56.

I also noticed a big difference between sitting on the motorway at 60mph and 70mph. The difference on the MFD was about 8-10mpg. If I was in no hurry I tended to sit at 60mph.

I remember those days of getting 510 miles to a tank :tongueout:

Not really poor fuel economy (I'm pretty satisfied with mine), but first oil used.

4616 miles covered thus far and car is reporting long-term average fuel economy at 49.2 mpg (vs actual mpg average of 46.2 mpg - brim to brim).

Whilst topping up screen wash / checking tyres pressures etc I noticed the oil level on the dipstick had dropped marginally. The manual suggests checking oil when the engine is at "operating temperature", so did this and it took 250 ml to bring it back to max. The manual states up to 500ml per 1000 km is acceptable, so 250 ml in 7456 km barely registers.

Other than this the only issues thus far are random/spurious alerts from the front parking sensors and a report of "keyless entry system failure", which cleared on switching off and re- starting. This might possibly relate to the close proximity of both keys??

Strangely enough I had the same trouble with the front parking sensors  giving alerts when I was stuck in slow moving traffic the other day when it was raining quite heavy, I do get an alertwhen  I get to close the the car in front at a junction or a motorbike passes me but that is not a fault.

• 1 month later...
On 25/11/2017 at 14:27, pinkpanther said:

Not really poor fuel economy (I'm pretty satisfied with mine), but first oil used.

4616 miles covered thus far and car is reporting long-term average fuel economy at 49.2 mpg (vs actual mpg average of 46.2 mpg - brim to brim).

Whilst topping up screen wash / checking tyres pressures etc I noticed the oil level on the dipstick had dropped marginally. The manual suggests checking oil when the engine is at "operating temperature", so did this and it took 250 ml to bring it back to max. The manual states up to 500ml per 1000 km is acceptable, so 250 ml in 7456 km barely registers.

Other than this the only issues thus far are random/spurious alerts from the front parking sensors and a report of "keyless entry system failure", which cleared on switching off and re- starting. This might possibly relate to the close proximity of both keys??

a

Strangely enough I was in economy mode today in my 1.2tsi  105 Toledo a round trip of 70 miles and knowing I may need fuel I did the return journey on the motorway with cruise set at 60mph, well half was restricted to 60 anyway, roadworks. I achieved 53mpg on the display,  I only usually get around around low 40's. Have got more on a long run in summer at a steady 65mph on the motorway, around 56mpg.

15 miles range showing on display now, I better fill up.

Edited by MickA

Just clicked over 6k miles and the car's long-term average is 45 MPG.

I'm generally satisfied with this, given both the recent cold weather and the fact the Toledo is mainly used for urban commuting (average speed currently 18 mph).

The best I've seen is 52.2 MPG (538 miles for tank), although I'm fairly sure I could crack 600 miles to a tank, given the right conditions.

Edited by pinkpanther

4 hours ago, pinkpanther said:

Just clicked over 6k miles and the car's long-term average is 45 MPG.

I'm generally satisfied with this, given both the recent cold weather and the fact the Toledo is mainly used for urban commuting (average speed currently 18 mph).

The best I've seen is 52.2 MPG (538 miles for tank), although I'm fairly sure I could crack 600 miles to a tank, given the right conditions.

snap! I have exactly the same average MPG, 45 mpg, I've driven just over 10,000 miles, the best I have seen (also 52 mpg) was when I used the spare and had to restrict my speed on the motorway. My daily commute is 75 miles, mixture of urban, fast dual carriageway / motorways and winding A road, I am hoping for an improved mpg come the summer, but nonetheless am satisfied with the fuel economy being achieved. Note my car is the 1.0 Toledo too.

I'm getting 45mpg as well from the 1.0 which I'm somewhat disappointed with, but I can't legitimately compare it with my 1.2 since I no longer do my 50 mile round trip to work.  Given the lack of torque as well, I wish now I'd bought a pre reg 1.2 Style Advanced rather than the massively discounted new 1.0 Xcellence.