poor fuel economy 1.0 TSI 3 clylinder

Neither did my Fabia Twincharger when i filled up in Blackpool on my way to Santa Pod, 

yet it had ran happily on Tesco Momentum for 3 years before that fill up. 

Luckily i had a boot full of 102 ron with me.

My issue is you can see Tesco Momentum 99 formulation and test results they carried out, 

and not Shell V-Power Nitro+ secret detergents,  but no problem really, they are exactly the same, just cost more from Shell, 

and i have had both on the dyno.

I like my Winter Spec Super Unleaded 99 ron Minimum. especially if it has come from Europe and is 100+ ron like the lovely stuff from Continental Europe.

The 'cheap petrol' mentioned here was the one that a major Fuel producer formulated and which was pretty much a disaster.

Not a provider of super market fuels...But then it was a long time ago, they would prefer people just forgot about it.

Edited by Headinawayoffski

In the UK Shell got the extra ethanol in after that giving the 99ron Min with Shell V-Power Nitro+ having it the same as Tesco Momentum 99.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating 

(Nice 100+ Octane from some Shell pumps in Italy near Factories & Test tracks.)

http://volkswagen.co.uk/need-help/owners/Fuel 

There are obviously some VW Group 'sporty cars'' that run on 95 ron as all EU Tested vehicles must, 

but then they can run like crap if the recommended fuel is not used, so not just R / GTI but vRS like a 1.4TSI / TFSI Twincharger.

(Called Super Plus which is the common 'lost in translation'.)

Does it matter if you get more power, or even more speed when you are only pottering around &  if the engine runs more efficiently from even cold starts & may be producing less emissions 

and all for just 3-5 pence a litre more?

Simple real world testing will tell you if it is worth it, and if you want more oomph get a remap or a tuning box, 

and then use the Super Unleaded.

Just remember APR and others show their possible BHP / Torque increases using 98 ron even though they are not using 98 ron in the cars when UK 'Official Dealers' are mapping and running on a dyno,

that is if they had them on a Dyno it maybe 97, it might be 99, but not 98 if none is available.

http://goapr.co.uk 

http://celtictuning.co.uk 

imageproxy.jpg

58a462d82668c_Fueldoor.PNG.d60ab82fcefa9b9831455ce42e0a8da9.PNG

220lid.jpg.90e1ddf2f538925a7280eea5593e3136.jpg

On 9/25/2017 at 14:18, camelspyyder said:

My 1.2TSI did about 6% better mpg on V-Power Nitro+ than on standard Shell unleaded.

The price difference was more than 6% however...

I ran several cars on Super unleaded (generally Tesco Momentum 99) for the performance boost (on clubcard points:biggrin:), rather than any economy gain.

My last mapped (petrol) car was much happier on super and there was a noticeable drop off in performance on the standard stuff.

I've tended to run a few tanks of Shell V-Power Nitro+ from time to time, but more for the (presumed / claimed) cleaning benefits than anything else.

I've also noticed my mapped diesel Yeti is noticeably quieter on Shell Fuel Save and a bit quicker on Shell V-Power Nitro+, whereas it's noticeably noisier (and slower) on Morrison's diesel.

Over the years I've tended to favour branded fuels, but this is more for convenience (local Tesco Express has an Esso outlet).

i have around 200k miles covered on Fuelly and have yet to document either a "running in" effect (improvement in MPG as the miles rise), or improvement in MPG on "super fuels".

Each to their own I guess:thumbup:

just going by what some dealers are trying to get for 2016 models. almost what we paid for our new.

just had a look at honest john mpg for the audi a5 I nearly bought and that seems as bad. so some consolation I guess. seems about 2007 was the pinnacle of automotive technology as far as economy is concerned. about the same time they started fitting DPF's.

no wonder some manufacturers are heading toward electric.

Edited by cypher007

Ah 'Asking Prices' at dealers are not the same as Trading in offers, or buy a car off you cash money.

If Asking prices for a 2016 model is not at least £1,500 more than any trade in offered that would be a surprise.

Ask one and see.

Seemingly my November 2016 2.0TDI is worth £11,000 less than the new price if traded in, 

but then it cost £4,000 less than the RRP, so £7,000 depreciation.

Those show a 101 Co2 g/km  cypher007 mentions his as 106 g/km,   are they that different?

Curious as to where Unleaded was available at 113 pence a litre average in September 2017.

3 hours ago, Headinawayoffski said:

Those show a 101 Co2 g/km  cypher007 mentions his as 106 g/km,   are they that different?

Curious as to where Unleaded was available at 113 pence a litre average in September 2017.

just checked dvla and that's what its registered as 106g/km.

on the used car front I always sell private. I did phone a some dealers earlier in the year when looking at Audi A5 and Toledo's the most I managed to drop one by was £500 on a £12500 car. most wouldn't budge.

I was not talking about how much you can buy cars for but you getting the same after 1 year for what you bought your car for, 

if you can do that then maybe you should become a car trader.

• Thanks 1

had a look at the filler and it says 95ron, but also says super unleaded. are they simply saying some markets have 95ron as super?

I will try a few tanks of Tesco 99 as its more or less the same price as 95 Esso, plus I can get more clubcard points on my Tesco Credit Card than cashback on my Nationwide card.

I have Club Car Plus. (Which is away to be stopped by Tesco this month but the extra points earned is continuing til 2019.)

But i use Santander 123 to pay which gives 3 pence in the £1 back, and still swipe my Tesco Club Card Plus for double points.

filled up just as I left Westgate yesterday, but that's another story, the bell went off as I approached Tesco Cleethorpes. filled it with 99ron and 54L after venting it.

how long before it adapts? did about 50 miles so far not noticed much difference, maybe bit quieter on higher revs. does make a strange ticking sound on load in high gears, almost like an injector click. assume its the higher RON doing something.

There is no adapting time the ECU just knows there is fuel and air coming in to the system and makes fuel and air adjustments,

there may be no noticeable improvement in economy or performance if the car was running perfectly well on 95 ron unleaded as you just drive about,

just see if there is any difference you spot when you do brim to brims using different octanes.

Where you going to use enough fuel up after venting before parking up?

The kind of miles that needs covered before parking up to be safe if venting.

Maybe your extra £2.70 will be wasted if the 99 ron cost that much extra, only time will tell.

well the alternative is Esso 95ron at £1.18/L as Tesco 95ron is not a good move in my opinion.

the Tesco 99ron was £1.19/L, 2p/L cheaper than where I live, so worth a punt I thought.

I would probably jump at 95ron Shell if this shows no improvement, but our local Shell was axed after the Banksters crashed the economy on the roulette wheel.

when brimming how do you guys do it without venting?

Edited by cypher007

You seem to be missing that the ESSO Unleaded and Tesco Unleaded is the same fuel, there is no special extras in the ESSO Unleaded.

Brimming is until you see the fuel, 

venting is pushing the slide, Venting and getting 7 litres or so more in.

yes the trouble is with brimming I find that as soon as you see the fuel it starts going down due to the vent system I assume. so I'm not sure brimming is a very exact way to measure consumption.

ive tried Tesco diesel and ESSO, and I definitely got more MPG from ESSO. there are several threads on pistonheads where people have compared fuels and the brands appart from BP always seem to be rated higher than supermarket.

There you go then, rated better.

Problem with that is all the car can know is the Cetane or Octane rating and not the detergents that are added.

But you have the lifetime of your car to find out what helps with efficient running.

If the higher costs give better economy or smoother running then sorted.

some test results here on various engines / cars

http://www.tescopfs.com/our-fuels/tesco-momentum99 

did some guestimating based on Camelspyder's 6% increase in MPG.

my local Tesco 99 costs 1.219p/L

my local ESSO 95 costs 1.189p/L

if it does say 43mpg on esso 95 and 45.5 on Tesco 99. over a theoretical 1000 miles it will save me £4 running on the Tesco 99. if ive done the maths right.

one question in the pics I noticed the last filler flap looks a lot like mine on the Toledo, but the tyre pressures are slightly different is it on a Rapid? also mine says 95ron will running it on 99ron cause any issues?

Read the page in the Owners Manual on Fuel.

Running a higher Octane will do no harm, the 95 ron is the minimum you should run and the minimum there is in the UK anyway.

Other world regions might and do have lower octanes and different Engine Management to suit.

The Red Filler Flap is from a Fabia mk2 vRS 1.4TSI 132-136kw,.  no idea what cars the others are from, just there as an example of the Super / Super plus having a different meaning in Continental Europe.

209-1-800.jpg

• Thanks 1