5000 Mile Review

dcl5ad

1 hour ago, silver1011 said:

£67 :o

Capture.thumb.JPG.b739aaed1f0838b949316cf755c2b982.JPG

Expensive stuff, I bet there is a good markup on that, even allowing for development!

On 12/07/2018 at 11:52, dcl5ad said:

We're on 20000 miles now and it's time to say goodbye to our bear - we've outgrown it.

Despite it having 7 seats and three isofix points (we specified it with a front passenger isofix) the reality of the situation is that with three children requiring child / baby seats, the back two seats become inaccessible, which makes it useless for carting around my increasingly immobile in-laws. So why not fit a child seat to the third row? The bottom line is: you can't. As the headrests are not removable, the backrest of any child seat placed back there is pushed forward, leaving an unsupported section. In an accident this would break, potentially causing injury.

But the manual says you can use a Britax Kidsafe seat back there? Yes it does, it even lists a test number. Except that's cobblers. Its a generic test for the seat. Britax have never tested the seat there and neither have Skoda. Their official response when I queried this was "The manual is wrong, we've never tested a seat there. You could try mothercare and see if they think it fits." Which, to be frank, was an unacceptable response. The rear seat squab is also too short to properly support a child seat, meaning that my son's recaro seat wobbles around all over the place. Yes I've gone against my engineering instinct and made his seat fit: hacked the headrest mechanism so that i can remove them & then used two ratchet straps to pull the seat back & down into the third row. This is temporary fix while we sourced an appropriate replacement vehicle, in the shape of a VW Caravelle.

Apparently the 3rd row headrests can be removed...

Edited by john999boy
Removed hyperlink

On 12/07/2018 at 11:52, dcl5ad said:

We're on 20000 miles now and it's time to say goodbye to our bear - we've outgrown it.

Despite it having 7 seats and three isofix points (we specified it with a front passenger isofix) the reality of the situation is that with three children requiring child / baby seats, the back two seats become inaccessible, which makes it useless for carting around my increasingly immobile in-laws. So why not fit a child seat to the third row? The bottom line is: you can't. As the headrests are not removable, the backrest of any child seat placed back there is pushed forward, leaving an unsupported section. In an accident this would break, potentially causing injury.

But the manual says you can use a Britax Kidsafe seat back there? Yes it does, it even lists a test number. Except that's cobblers. Its a generic test for the seat. Britax have never tested the seat there and neither have Skoda. Their official response when I queried this was "The manual is wrong, we've never tested a seat there. You could try mothercare and see if they think it fits." Which, to be frank, was an unacceptable response. The rear seat squab is also too short to properly support a child seat, meaning that my son's recaro seat wobbles around all over the place. Yes I've gone against my engineering instinct and made his seat fit: hacked the headrest mechanism so that i can remove them & then used two ratchet straps to pull the seat back & down into the third row. This is temporary fix while we sourced an appropriate replacement vehicle, in the shape of a VW Caravelle.

Tried to post a link to the Kodiaq forum as there is a post on how to remove 3rd row head rest but it won’t allow me and post is hidden. 

Apparently you just extend headrest as far as possible then push this plastic clip and headrest pulls right out.

10010870-F3AC-4D24-9A65-DD689DD37B13.jpeg

• 5 weeks later...

Great write up which I found really interesting and detailed.

Like the Kodiaq a lot, but our Yeti is likely to get replaced with an EV, so expect that might be a Kia Niro EV next year, although thats not a given. Depends what else might be available.

Would love a Yeti EV like this... http://www.kreiselelectric.com/en/projects/electric-yeti-4x4/

but thats not on the cards as probably way too expensive to convert our current Yeti or a more recent end of line model.

• Thanks 1

Should be an option to reset the gearbox - I had my dsg done when it went in for service recently. Kept changing far too soon and they did it for free.  You can also pay for a remap and a gearbox remap through places like Shark - not that they're called that now, I can't recall the new name.

• 4 months later...
On 20/08/2018 at 18:02, burntcrisps2 said:

Great write up which I found really interesting and detailed.

Like the Kodiaq a lot, but our Yeti is likely to get replaced with an EV, so expect that might be a Kia Niro EV next year, although thats not a given. Depends what else might be available.

Would love a Yeti EV like this... http://www.kreiselelectric.com/en/projects/electric-yeti-4x4/

but thats not on the cards as probably way too expensive to convert our current Yeti or a more recent end of line model.

Just changed our Yeti for a Karoq now the tbm has expired. 

Considered a Niro but it is not type approved to tow a trailer.

It is ok to fit a towbar, say for a cycle carrier, but you can’t tow with it. 

Tom

13 minutes ago, Sanqhar said:

Just changed our Yeti for a Karoq now the tbm has expired. 

Considered a Niro but it is not type approved to tow a trailer.

It is ok to fit a towbar, say for a cycle carrier, but you can’t tow with it. 

Tom

Think you may have your Karoq and Kodiaq mixed up. You’d be better asking the question separately  in the Karoq section and not tagged on to another thread.

But if fitting a towbar it would need to have the proper wiring loom and coded to the car irrespective of whether it’s for towing or fitting a bike rack.

Edited by Kenny R
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Kenny R said:

Think you may have your Karoq and Kodiaq mixed up. You’d be better asking the question separately  in the Karoq section and not tagged on to another thread.

But if fitting a towbar it would need to have the proper wiring loom and coded to the car irrespective of whether it’s for towing or fitting a bike rack.

I was just pointing out that the Niro is not type approved to tow. 

Nothing to do with a Kodiak or a Karoq. 

Tom

• Confused 2

The Kia Niro Hybrid comes with the option of a towbar and can tow up to 1,300 KG braked. 

Or so i was told at the Kia Dealership and i read in the reviews.

I road tested one.

PS.

Karoq 1.6TDI SCR Manuals can not be fitted with a Tow Bar for Towing, so it would need to be a Tow Bar for Bike racks.

Best always to let an Insurer know that is what it is fitted for though.

Edited by Skoffski

Send an email to Kia Uk if you are not sure. I did, I think back in September, and they told me it was not type approved for the UK except as a bike carrier.  It is type approved for europe.

This was a red line for me, so deleted the email and eventually ended up buying a Karoq. 

Unless something has changed in the last three months next time you are in a dealer check out the chassis plate, the towing capacity will be blank. 

Check out the KIA uk site configurator, I couldn’t find a towbar option. 

This is from KIA.com

PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Browse the range of car accessories for the Niro to find the features most suited to your needs. Discover an assortment of both practical and aesthetic accessories including interior, exterior and technology related add-ons to make your Niro more unique to you and your individual style. Make your Kia your own. Add items to your wish list or contact your local Kia dealer directly for more information regarding accessories for the Kia Niro. !UK specification vehicles have no towing capacity. Kia Motors Ltd are not offering an approved Towbar for this vehicle!

All I'm saying is do your own research and don’t just believe salesmen and journalists, it’s too important. 

Tom

^^^ Sorry on the OT, and you are right on that so sorry.

I am not buying one so not really bothered if the Salesperson have the wrong gen or KIA Media team have their press packs arse over elbow.

My local Kia Dealer in 1/2 a mile away so i will have a look in the car and read what the plate says.

Full specs and details of the 2017 Kia Niro hybrid SUV _ Carbuyer.mhtml

PS

It appears that the UK Spec ones have no Towing Capacity while other World Regions have.

?

Is it not EU Approved with Official Weights given then or just EU Approved excluding the UK?

Can I tow with the Niro Hybrid and PHEV_ – Kia Motors New Zealand.mhtml

Discover Kia Niro accessories _ Kia Motors UK.mhtml

Edited by Skoffski