Power steering leak

Torbo

I have a leak in the power steering! It looks like it is a metal tube thats leaking? 

The tube is very rusty and moist in a bow

Is it complicated to change or repair, it's very cramped! It worries me the most.
It's easy to get the air out afterwards?

Can't answer if it is easy, I'm guessing that it is the tube that seems to get road spray landing on it, I spotted that in time on my wife's previous 2002 VW Polo and treated it to some Hammerite black paint. Getting the air out - purging these systems, it is said, is easy, you just move the rack from side to side fully with the engine running, a few times and the system purges itself it seems.

• Like 1

Thank you! Now I got more relaxed.. Is it possible to use copper tube? Gasoline tube....

High pressure?  

39 minutes ago, Torbo said:

Thank you! Now I got more relaxed.. Is it possible to use copper tube? Gasoline tube....

High pressure?  

Yes high pressure, if you take the pipe off and take it to a hydraulic hose supplier they can make you a new one or repair the old one much cheaper than buying a new pipe from the dealer.

• Like 2

Shocking! I got a price on a new pipeline from the servo pump yesterday : 3000 NOK (300 pound).  I hope I can get en good used? If not repair.

Hope I can get the air out after changing/repair...

3 hours ago, KenONeill said:

@Torbo - According to my manual, you can bleed the PAS hydraulics by jacking up both front wheels and spinning the steering repeatedly lock to lock.

Yes. I changed a PAS pump on a Ford Focus and I bled it like that without any problems.

• Like 1

I got a used pipe to day. 20 pound, ok price. Just a little surface rust . I will clean the pipe and cover it which epoxy and antirust paint.

The dealer said there is two producer of this pipe and pumps. Hope the pie I bought is the right. If not, I know what i need.

44 minutes ago, Torbo said:

The dealer said there is two producer of this pipe and pumps.

Yes, TRW and Koyo.

• Like 1

Good... The question is if they have the same tread in the pressure link?

I took a chance.. 

Yippie! Now I can clean the pipe and make like new! 

20 pound (200 kroner) used and 300 pound (3000 kroner) new. 15 timers more. Many liter of fuel on nye weekend travels...

over 300 liter fuel! I have to calculate, since it was a little job to take it out..

Im thinking of to put it in, and have it a little loose on the steering and put the ignition on, to get the most air out?

Like to bleed the diesel pipes... Then raster it, and use the tips I got over her...

Thanks! Good that something is easy! "move the steering to lock" ? - Is it not necessary to steer from side to side?

8 minutes ago, Torbo said:

Thanks! Good that something is easy! "move the steering to lock" ? - Is it not necessary to steer from side to side?

Lock to lock means side to side :)

• Like 1

Unlucky day! I should change the servo tube to day, but the new one has wrong treads. Different in bot ends. 

My model is 2000, and the one I get was from a little newer one... But the same car...

I have to look further for the right one.

Well I cleaned the type and put some epoxy on the surface. Hope it will work ok some days.

What a job!! Hard to enter the screw on part where the steering column is.

The other end was easy.

I also make a big hole in the corner of the battery box, so it is more easy to fill hydraulic oil.

To morrow is also a day...