Thoughts on alloy wheel centre caps.

I just fitted these new centre caps and wondered what your thoughts were. I could have purchased them from superskoda for €40, but instead purchased them off of Ebay and came from Hong Kong for £9.99 including delivery. Although they had the same part number stamped on the back as my original caps they were very slightly smaller and would not stay in position. After heating the clips with a hair dryer and gently bending them, they fit nicely into place but as the badges are thicker in depth they stand out from the wheel. The last photo was the original which was flush fitting but were all damaged. Which do you prefer? 

1506435478632.jpeg

1506435566930.jpeg

1506435517750.jpeg

Edited by VrsOctaviaAndy

4 minutes ago, VrsOctaviaAndy said:

They are fully clipped in. They are about 5mm deeper than the original ones. That's what you get for cheap copies I suppose. If I squint and look the other way then they are not too bad.

That was my point... They look like they haven't - even though they have :)

4 minutes ago, VrsOctaviaAndy said:

They are fully clipped in. They are about 5mm deeper than the original ones. That's what you get for cheap copies I suppose. If I squint and look the other way then they are not too bad.

Worst case! come Christmas time, Superskoda normally do 20-25% off, if they don't bother you until then ;)

12 hours ago, BATVANVRS said:

Worst case! come Christmas time, Superskoda normally do 20-25% off, if they don't bother you until then ;)

Roughly how long do deliveries from Superskoda take from ordering to receiving them? Providing they are in stock of course. I might well be after wheel centre caps, front and rear badges and the rear door sill trims to match the front. Last question, what courier delivers the items in the UK? There's not always someone in and I don't want to have to travel miles to their depot.

39 minutes ago, VrsOctaviaAndy said:

Roughly how long do deliveries from Superskoda take from ordering to receiving them? Providing they are in stock of course. I might well be after wheel centre caps, front and rear badges and the rear door sill trims to match the front. Last question, what courier delivers the items in the UK? There's not always someone in and I don't want to have to travel miles to their depot.

Was about 2 weeks for me and it was Royal Mail. I wasn't in for my order so had to go to the depot to collect.

23 hours ago, VrsOctaviaAndy said:

I just fitted these new centre caps and wondered what your thoughts were. I could have purchased them from superskoda for €40, but instead purchased them off of Ebay and came from Hong Kong for £9.99 including delivery. Although they had the same part number stamped on the back as my original caps they were very slightly smaller and would not stay in position. After heating the clips with a hair dryer and gently bending them, they fit nicely into place but as the badges are thicker in depth they stand out from the wheel. The last photo was the original which was flush fitting but were all damaged. Which do you prefer? 

1506435478632.jpeg

1506435566930.jpeg

1506435517750.jpeg

Buy cheap, buy twice

These are mine

20170927_161556.jpg

Edited by themanwithnoaim

Simple question but.... Whats the method for changing these? I know its easy to push them out from the back with the wheel off but I was thinking that since my originals are going in the bin I could put a couple of turns on a self tapping screw and pull them out? Or lever them out with some trim tools?

Also yes, they will replace them under warranty, mine have been bit Im hoping to get them in a bag ratger than fitted to the car as I cant get the car to the garage during workshop hours for a while and dont fancy leaving it!

I did mine with the wheels off & pushed out the old centre cap & clipped in the new centre cap, if you want to try the other method you mentioned above, then cant see no harm in trying but as long as you know that the centre cap can & probably will be proper goosed & try to use a plastic lever trim tool as you don't want to mark or scuff the alloys.

Edited by BATVANVRS

16 hours ago, ExSEAT said:

Simple question but.... Whats the method for changing these? I know its easy to push them out from the back with the wheel off but I was thinking that since my originals are going in the bin I could put a couple of turns on a self tapping screw and pull them out? Or lever them out with some trim tools?

Also yes, they will replace them under warranty, mine have been bit Im hoping to get them in a bag ratger than fitted to the car as I cant get the car to the garage during workshop hours for a while and dont fancy leaving it!

I drilled a hole in mine, put a screw in partially and then pulled out using the screw. Couldn't lever out with a trim tool - nothing was thin enough and didn't want to damage my wheels.

Old caps were corroded to hell, so going in the bin anyway. 

I reckon this is the easiest way, but only if the old caps are being thrown.

Edited by ahenners
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

I’m booked in at the dealer to have mine looked at under warranty, although why they have to do this over 2 visits baffles me (one to check them over, another to rectify the issue, if deemed necessary) especially in the current climate.

I’m hoping they have some in stock when I first visit as it’s a 5 minute job to swap them out. If not I’ll encourage them to swap them out with one in the showroom.

I’m tempted to fit a plane, flat, centre cap and get some gel badges made up to stick to them. DMB graphics are quite popular on the Ford forums when it comes to gel badges and overlays, I’ve had a few custom badges made up by them in the past for my ST too.

I recently got some chrome centres from China, they were very slightly domed, just right, they had the reference number on the back. Skoda stickers off ebay, spot on.