Had a diesel Astra, concerned that petrol car won't last the same miles

etmsreec

Hi,

I had a scout around the forum pages, but couldn't find an answer to this question.  Could be that I was searching wrongly, or might be it just hasn't been asked.

I'm in the position where I need to buy another car, having been driving an 05 diesel Astra.  My last few cars have been diesels, first because I was doing high miles up and down the M4, and then because I just liked them.

The Astra had 127k on the clock and, whilst it seemed to eat alternators for breakfast, it was a nice car.

With all of the chatter against diesels, though, I'm considering petrol, too.  I'm wondering if a petrol will be likely to do the same mileage that my various trusty diesels have, though?

Astra - 127k (bought it at about 35k)

406 - 130k

Cavalier - 150k

(The Cavalier had the classic Isuzu valve problem, so maybe ignore it being happy and healthy! :) )

Would something like an Octavia petrol be likely to match those mileages, or would the diesel still be the better bet?  Diesels still seem to have the better reputation for running to very high mileages.

Thanks!

Go look at Aus, or SA or USA for high mileage petrol engines...250,000miles & going strong.

There are few people on here with very high mileage petrol Fabia MK1...

Any engine/car from any of the mass produced lot will have problems...its just trying to reduce them to a manageable level.

As long as they are looked after and serviced regularly, there is no reason why a petrol car cannot last as long as a diesel. 

My Octavia has done 116,000 so far and the only problem I have had with the engine was my own fault. There is no reason why the engine could not go on far longer.

• 4 weeks later...

Like what has been said here already, as long as the car has a service when it needs to be done then petrols will last the same as diesels. The highest mileage car I have owned was a Ford Focus Mk1 2.0 petrol which had over 120,000 miles & was still going strong. In fact, I reckon if I did not sell it then I would still be driving in it. 

hi op,

Echoing what's already been said really...my Superb v6 has passed 97,000 miles in less than 6 years today and it seems quite happy mechanically. The driver's foot well light did briefly go out on the way home tonight. Other than that, everything seems fine and still pulls extremely well. Statller's in Sheffield agreed it was mechanically very good when serviced earlier this year so I don't think there's anything to worry about as long as you don't skimp on your servicing.

Cheers,

Steve

I suspect that current diesels will not last as long as ones from c2004/5 as they have a lot more emission control gear, dfps etc to go wrong and which are expensive to repair. This can wrtite off an otherwise sound car as uneconomical to spend £1k plus on a dpf replacement when the car is only worth £800 in good order.

If you are prepared to accept these costs as part of routine maintenance the underlying diesel will probably run for ever relatively.

And I am not biased as I have recently bought a new diesel Yeti, just accept the fact that this is in the future. All our cars usually are disposed of due to uneconomic repairs needed, or a number of smaller jobs looming. EG wifes fabia 1.9 , 2003 car. Very low mileage at 75k but at 13 years old needed a new driveshaft, cambelt, wheel bearings exhaust front shocks, etc. Just not worth repairing when the garage missed all that on test drive and gave us £1k towards a nearly new car.

Still main reason for buying a diesel over petrol is the saving in fuel costs, and I just prefer the way a good turbo diesel drives on the road. A petrol car may well be economic to keep on the road for as long as a diesel or longer. My sons focus was disposed at 13 years old as it failed the mot on brake lines, exhaust, leaking shocks, worn bushes etc, yet bodily was in very good order and had only done 75k miles from new with a full service history. Really any engine and body will outlast the other components which may all fail at the same time making repair uneconomic.

Edited by kenfowler3966
  • Like 1