Clonking/knocking at low speed

When you say you greased the track rod ends and arb links, what exactly are you greasing as the ball joints are sealed inside rubber gaiter and would need removing to have any effect.

Cheers puddy 

• 3 weeks later...

Well, after pumping even more money into the car, the suspension is now fixed. On top of the new bearing carrier and bearing. the NS front also needed a new console bush housing and new ball joint. The squeaking noise when turning the wheel was the CV joint on the other side. It rides like a dream now! (Apart from the squeaking over high speedhumps......) 

Thanks again :) 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks, Palatinux. Sadly, I have hosed every bush I can find in silicone spray, but the car still groans and squeaks over every speed hump. It's doing my head in.  The only way I can stop it is if I go two wheels off and two onto a hump. Could that point to arb bushes? (As I haven't greased them, as I can't get to them?) 

Edited by GeneralDogsbody

Silicon on metal connected to rubber will make it squeak even more. You can use WD40 or Vaseline spray. WD40 will seep in best. but is quickly gone when it rains. Most common places where the noises came from on (my) the Fabia:

Pic1: The console bushes (spray around the red circle or the whole rubber part, same from the other side if you can reach it). The blue arrow points to a crack/tear in the rubber. If your car has two connections from top to button like this one (instead of 4, l/r t/b). They are suppose to fail/tear eventually.

Pic2: The wishbone that connects to these console bushes (side of the blue circle). Try to spray the bearing with the red circle on both sides. Not very common to fail, but you may not know.

Pic3: Above the wishbone, next to the steering rod, you'll find the ARB bushings (red circle). Soak them from both sides or from above in your motor compartment if possible. In most cases the plastic component on the ARB within the bushes is cracked. You'll might still hear it, but a lot less. In the blue circle is the ARB link. Another component that wears out eventually and shows play when you lift both front wheels. This might be the grinding/knocking sound.

Pic4: My replaced ARB + bushes (red circle). This is the proper but expensive replacement. Your mechanic can also remove those two bolts and the bush, remove the broken piece of plastic from the ARB rod and fit a smaller bushing with new grease. If the bar is not completely rusted on the outside, this might last a few years.

Still I'm not sure if it will work in your case. Put it this way; My wife puts Vaseline on here lips every night, but she still moans and squeaks every day. So the only option might be finding a proper replacement.

IMG_20160801_151222.jpg

IMG_20160903_110923.jpg

IMG_20161123_125705.jpg

IMG_20170415_124223.jpg

Edited by Palatinux

1 hour ago, Palatinux said:

Put it this way; My wife puts Vaseline on here lips every night, but she still moans and squeaks every day. So the only option might be finding a proper replacement.

:D

That's a great write-up, P. I'll grab some WD40 ASAP. I've read that warmed-up (room temperature) Waxoil spray works well. Is there anywhere at the rear of the car that could need spraying, as well? 

On the parts replacement side of things, I've had; dampers, springs, top mounts, droplinks, wishbones, bearing and carrier and consoles bushes and carrier! Still squeaks the same as the day I bought it...... 

Almost the full package :) I guess I missed some of them. I assume you hear it at the front of your car, but you can spray the springs and bushings at the rear-suspension too, but those bushings there are a bit difficult to reach. (see the pic below).

I expect the ARB bushings, but you might also check and spray the gearbox mount. But I think you'll only hear that one when pulling up or reversing the car (same goes for the engine shocks and mounts).

Take a look at the perfectly filmed AutoDoc video's for the Fabia 6Y. Everything we discussed is seen on the video's (more or less).

0.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Another possibility; Since my own Fabia is making recognizable banging/clonking sounds again while twisting the frame a bit when going over speed bumps/potholes, one front wheel off, the other on;

The heavy bonnet of our old cars will show more play when they age. Sometimes you see damaged paint below the windscreen-wipers, above the headlights, below the front grill, and/or your can push the bonnet in easily at the position of the catch. In this stage, the bonnet can make horrible noises and it needs to be adjusted (see attached pdf).

Besides the noise; if the bonnet does not seal properly, heavy rain can go into the engine compartment and might finally seep into the ECU connector, PAS connectors/sound insulation, starter, or major wiring-looms below and behind the battery. Personally, I would remove, clean and silicon-spray the seal too. PS. this seal has the tendency of coming off too easily, causing leaks too > 13 - Cooling-water tank seal

Adjusting the bonnet high relative to the wing (play at the catch) > 5 - Adjusting buffer

Adjusting the bonnet position (need two man to do this properly) relative to the seal/car > 12 - 22 Nm

Bonnet adjustment-exploded view - Skoda Fabia MK1.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

I Hi, and sorry for the late reply. My Son has been very ill over the last two weeks...... 

I'm still at a loss as to what causes the squeak/groan over speed humps. 

At a recent service, I had all of the suspension rubbers sprayed with GT85, this nothing. 

It seems to be something to do with the twisting of the chassis, as I also get the noise going around corners etc.  If I go one wheel on, one wheel off on a speed hump, the noise only happens on the OS wheel hitting the speed hump and not the NS wheel..... 

And I did try and adjust the bonnet, but made a hash of it, as it now sit proud of the NS front wing....