Clonking/knocking at low speed

Hi everyone. My 'wonderful' Fabia has offered me another fascinating noise to try figure out over the last few days. 

I'm now getting a clonking/knocking noise, whilst pulling away, or reversing, from standstill, from the ns front corner. I was hoping it would be something to do with wishbone (as I have now bought one) that side, but I'm not so sure...... Many thanks 

Hi Wino. The car has had new springs (elbach) dampers (Bilstein b4s) uprated console bushes and new mintex discs and pads. I'm at a loss as to what it is. I have seen some posts on here suggesting a gearbox, or engine mount. The gearbox had been out two times in the last two months. Could this have weaken something? Can any of the gearbox mounts be sourced easily and replaced easily, whilst the gearbox is being swapped again? 

Yes it will be removed when box is changed.

Call the dealers and try them for price.

Ive had ECP crap before and the mount fell apart whilst driving leaving only the exhaust to support the gearbox/engine from ripping itself out.

5 hours ago, clarendon462 said:

Yes it will be removed when box is changed.

Call the dealers and try them for price.

Ive had ECP crap before and the mount fell apart whilst driving leaving only the exhaust to support the gearbox/engine from ripping itself out.

Would this be the (possible) right item? 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-SKODA-FABIA-MK1-6Y-REAR-DOGBONE-ENGINE-MOUNT-6Q0199851AT-/321974272393?epid=1133705274&hash=item4af7298189:g:yd0AAOSwYlRZHy8N

Well, the car has now started clonking from both front legs, after my latest gearbox has been fitted (which is much better, with no diff 'grumble') when going over 'shallow' speed humps and uneven ground. The knocking when pulling away and reversing has gone. 

My mechanic has had it up on his ramp today, and the only thing we could find, is the lowered springs (Elbach) twisting/knocking in the B4s - he checked all of the ball joints and rear gearbox mount (which looked new, as it had a brand new part number sticker on it and was spotless......)

I've seen that you can buy some rubber sleeving that lessens the noise between damper and spring. Can anyone suggest a good make/seller of this sleeving, that would fit my springs? Thanks.

Edited by GeneralDogsbody

Sorry to double post, but I've just found this item on ebay;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Coil-Spring-Silencer-Sleeve-Snake-Skin-Noise-Reducer-Apex-Tein-Spax-Eibach-/231137840057?hash=item35d0e38bb9:g:dO0AAMXQVT9S2Bwx

Would this sort the problem? How much would I need? Do you wrap the whole spring? Thanks ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to double, double post! I've taken the car to my mechanic today to see if the plastic sleeving I bought (see above) will fit my springs - it won't! In the words of my mechanic 'That wouldn't go over a biro!"

So back to the drawing board on that front (In contact with the sellers - hoping to swap for some of these items:

http://www.tein.co.uk/product/silencer_rubber.html

My mechanic took my car for a spin, and has told me that some of the noise I'm getting is the springs 'chattering' but the louder noise is from my Darkside uprated (Cupra) console bushes! He thinks that they failed due to the gearbox being taken out several times. Could this happen? They're only four-ish months old! 

I'm getting a clunking when I pull away, when I brake and when I go over certain objects. Could this be the reason why my steering shudders when I brake at certain speeds? And would the bushes failing cause the handling to be wobbly and vague at speed? 

Another mechanic who works at the same garage has suggested to swap to the original OEM bushes (His Dad has the same car as me....) Would poly bushes make the ride even harder?

Many thanks in advance     

I use PSB bushes and they are great. Ive done over 4000 miles now on them and they are silent. Give a nice amount of feel to the steering without any vibration. And thats on 17inch 40 profile tyres.

OEM bushes are crap IMO

• Like 1

I know when I did my console bushes that I didn't quite tighten one of the wishbone bolts enough and it caused a clonk on pulling away and at low speeds over bumps. I tightened it and the clonk vanished and has not returned. It's also possible that the thread in your console is stripped and the bolt can't be tightened adequately. When other people fix your car you never know what's going on with stuff like this.

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply, TMB. From the noises you are describing, it does sound as if the clonking I'm getting could be console bush related. I also get the same noise when braking. Did your handling go all soft, as well? 

If I'm going for another set of bushes - should I go for OEM, Poly or Darkside "Cupra" bushes? (The Darkside version I have at the moment are good, but make the ride very hard)

I have Meyle HD bushes on mine and they are still perfect three years later.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOR-VW-POLO-SEAT-IBIZA-SKODA-FABIA-MEYLE-HD-CONSOLE-WISHBONE-ARM-BUSH-BUSHES-/170964885786

Originally had PSB ones but found them too harsh.

Edited by TMB
  • Like 1