Clonking/knocking at low speed

Thanks, TMB. I currently have these ones;

https://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/products/ibiza-cupra-uprated-console-bushes-for-vw-polo-skoda-fabia-and-seat-ibiza.html

Are the bushes that you posted the same sort of thing and for the same place? (It's all gibberish to me!) 

Yes they are all console bushes. The ones you posted are the Solid Cupra ones. They all do the same job and the Cupra ones are a good choice. However, as sepulchrave has previously said, there's no way your bushes are going to be worn in such a short time.

Best get the wishbone bolts (22) checked for tightness.

44546677.png

Edited by TMB

• 4 weeks later...

I'm afraid my tale of woe with my car is continuing. My lovely mechanic never fitted the uprated bushes properly, so they were knackered by the time the other garage got to them. New bushes and wishbones have now been fitted. Sadly, the steering wheel was miles out of wack (very RHS down) so took the car for a four wheel alignment, only to find out that the camber is OK on all four wheels, apart from the NS front - which is at - 2.5! 

How can this happen? I've had everything replaced. Many thanks ;-)

Edited by GeneralDogsbody

1 hour ago, GeneralDogsbody said:

I'm afraid my tale of woe with my car is continuing. My lovely mechanic never fitted the uprated bushes properly, so they were knackered by the time the other garage got to them. New bushes and wishbones have now been fitted. Sadly, the steering wheel was miles out of wack (very RHS down) so took the car for a four wheel alignment, only to find out that the camber is OK on all four wheels, apart from the NS front - which is at - 2.5! 

How can this happen? I've had everything replaced. Many thanks ;-)

I really wouldn't worry about it if I were you, negative camber helps with cornering so you can attack right-handers with more gusto.

The only explanation can be that the subframe has been misaligned slightly forcing the N/S strut out further than the O/S strut, if you recentre it you could get both sides at about -1.25 but it's not really worth the faffing around, it's not a racing car.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sepulchrave said:

I really wouldn't worry about it if I were you, negative camber helps with cornering so you can attack right-handers with more gusto.

The only explanation can be that the subframe has been misaligned slightly forcing the N/S strut out further than the O/S strut, if you recentre it you could get both sides at about -1.25 but it's not really worth the faffing around, it's not a racing car.

Thanks, Sep. It really does look very odd at the front, mind you. All wheels are straight, then the N/S one's on the p**s (And the N/S tyre' is almost squared off!) I wish you were right about the cornering prowess of my car........it's awful - it wobbles around like an out of control shopping trolley! And this is after everything's been changed - just frightening. And the annoying 'chattering' from something in the car is still there (on uneven ground etc)   

EDIT: Could it be down to the spacers I have on the car? As I've 'equalized' the front/rear track, have caused an imbalance? I would like to swap the standard wheels out (15s) for a set of Vrs alloys and ditch the spacers, as well. Would it be any better? And can I find a decent set of vrs alloys? Can I heck!

24 minutes ago, GeneralDogsbody said:

Thanks, Sep. It really does look very odd at the front, mind you. All wheels are straight, then the N/S one's on the p**s (And the N/S tyre' is almost squared off!) I wish you were right about the cornering prowess of my car........it's awful - it wobbles around like an out of control shopping trolley! And this is after everything's been changed - just frightening. And the annoying 'chattering' from something in the car is still there (on uneven ground etc)   

EDIT: Could it be down to the spacers I have on the car? As I've 'equalized' the front/rear track, have caused an imbalance? I would like to swap the standard wheels out (15s) for a set of Vrs alloys and ditch the spacers, as well. Would it be any better? And can I find a decent set of vrs alloys? Can I heck!

I personally dislike spacers, they never improve the handling on FWD cars. I cannot see any other mechanism for the unequal camper if everything else is straight, the subframe and consoles have to be misaligned to push one of the wishbones out further, both your front struts should show a little negative camber so if one is upright and the other not then it has to be the problem.

• Like 1

Back again. Just had a bit of a scary moment on a right hand corner near me - changed down from fourth to third (damp road) and the back end decided to 'step out' at 20mph! The rear of the car is very wobbly after having the front end done. Could the front subframe be causing rear-wheel problems? The rear tyres are down to 3mm, though. It does feel as if something's loose, mind you.  

EDIT: I have spoken to my local mechanic (the one who fitted the console bushes and wishbones, last week) and he said that there's no adjustment on the subframe on the Fabia? Bent? 

7 minutes ago, GeneralDogsbody said:

I have spoken to my local mechanic (the one who fitted the console bushes and wishbones, last week) and he said that there's no adjustment on the subframe on the Fabia?

He's wrong. The two M12 bolts that hold each console to the chassis go through 17mm holes (or something similarly oversize) in the consoles, so there's quite a lot of potential adjustment/misadjustment.

9 minutes ago, GeneralDogsbody said:

Back again. Just had a bit of a scary moment on a right hand corner near me - changed down from fourth to third (damp road) and the back end decided to 'step out' at 20mph! The rear of the car is very wobbly after having the front end done. Could the front subframe be causing rear-wheel problems? The rear tyres are down to 3mm, though. It does feel as if something's loose, mind you.  

EDIT: I have spoken to my local mechanic (the one who fitted the console bushes and wishbones, last week) and he said that there's no adjustment on the subframe on the Fabia? Bent? 

Yes, there's no adjustment per se but there is enough play in the mounting holes to correct misalignment. 3mm is nowhere near enough tread for safety, especially on the back of a FWD car.

Thanks Guys. So I'm a muppet for having low tyres on my car. What a surprise! Silly boy. It does feel very floaty/loose at the back. Could the spacers not help things?  

On the subframe side of things - Is it an easy job to 'adjust' said part? 

1 hour ago, GeneralDogsbody said:

Thanks Guys. So I'm a muppet for having low tyres on my car. What a surprise! Silly boy. It does feel very floaty/loose at the back. Could the spacers not help things?  

On the subframe side of things - Is it an easy job to 'adjust' said part? 

Get rid of the spacers, they ruin the suspension geometry, I suggested measuring the subframe alignment with a tape measure, you should still do this, no point in playing guessing games. Get treaded tyres on the car before you have a big 'off'.

I've got the new tyres on and it's made a small improvement to the handling. 

I'm now trying to make my way through the various rattles coming from the car over any uneven surfaces. 

I've noticed that the bonnet 'chatters' when you push down on it. On having a closer look, it seems that the catch has a little play in it, and there used to be some sort of rubber/plastic cover over the U-shaped bracket that fits into the catch, so it's metal on metal all the time. Can the cover be replaced? Thanks. 

8 minutes ago, GeneralDogsbody said:

I've got the new tyres on and it's made a small improvement to the handling. 

I'm now trying to make my way through the various rattles coming from the car over any uneven surfaces. 

I've noticed that the bonnet 'chatters' when you push down on it. On having a closer look, it seems that the catch has a little play in it, and there used to be some sort of rubber/plastic cover over the U-shaped bracket that fits into the catch, so it's metal on metal all the time. Can the cover be replaced? Thanks. 

You should have two rubber bump stops under the bonnet, you simply unscrew them until they stop the chatter.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sepulchrave said:

You should have two rubber bump stops under the bonnet, you simply unscrew them until they stop the chatter.

Thanks Sep. Where are the bump stops in this webpage? 

http://workshop-manuals.com/skoda/fabia-mk1/body/body_work/bonnet_flaps_cab_central_locking/front_bonnet/summary_of_front_bonnet_components/

8 hours ago, GeneralDogsbody said:

There never was a rubber cover on the catch hook. Here's a new one...

18773.jpg

2 hours ago, TMB said:

There never was a rubber cover on the catch hook. Here's a new one...

18773.jpg

There is a rubber/plastic covering on that hook. As shown in the photo

You could always use some insulation tape as a temporary measure and see if it makes a difference

My bonnet was 'buzzing' at around 2k revs. Turned out the hinge was slightly bent and it was not seated properly. Adjusting those rubber stops helped to keep the bonnet firm against the catch. It did make shutting the bonnet more difficult and required a slam to get it seated

He said on the U-shaped bracket that fits into the catch. I only called it ''catch hook'' because that's what Skoda call the whole unit.

56678788.png

5658899.png

Edited by TMB

Just a bit of an update. The adjustable rubber 'bumpers' were indeed out of alignment - one was up and one was down. Winding them both in has helped. the rattling from the front is far less (My grille's missing a few clips which doesn't help, though) 

I've bought some of this tape to pad out the missing rubber sheath:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Scapa-Black-Single-Sided-Foam-Tape-3mm-Thick-Available-in-12mm-25mm-50mm-Width/121812697370?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=420802465150&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

The bonnet will still shut and lock though, right? *panics* 

Let's hope that sorts it. Many thanks for everyone's assistance. 

So after I posted all that you still think there is a missing rubber thing off the U-shaped catch?

There isn't. And that foam tape will simply shred to pieces if you put it there.

After another trip to the garage today, the mechanics that have had a look at my car have said, that it looks like the hub/wheel bearing carrier on the N/S looks like it FUBAR'd, hence the high negative camber (As everything else has been replaced) The only problem - they want £480 to fix it! 

I was quoted £150 for a wheel bearing - just found the same part on ECP for £49.99 (thanks Black Friday sale!)

I just need a 'Hub bearing carrier' What's one of them when it's at home? (That was another £100+ on the quote) Could I get one 2nd hand? Would anyone on here have one?

Many thanks  

Bearing carrier is the big cast part that brake calliper, suspension strut, wishbone balljoint and steering tierod attach to, as well as housing the wheel bearing.

Finding it a little difficult to imagine how it could be the cause of your trouble, but willing to learn.

Here's an example:

Bearing carrier.png