Clonking/knocking at low speed

Thanks guys. The garage have said that it's the only part left on that side that could be causing the wheel to jut out. The mechanics said it could have been in a crash......

All of the suspension was checked, as well as the alignment of the subframe etc. 

On seeing those two pictures, does the wheel bearing I've just bought fit into that housing?  Also, where can i get one from? 

Cheers ;)

Edited by GeneralDogsbody

1 minute ago, GeneralDogsbody said:

Thanks, Lee. You're a star. I need a N/S carrier! Blast!

You're welcome.

What about this one?...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skoda-Fabia-MK1-6Y-VW-Polo-ABS-Front-N-S-Hub-Carrier-Bearing-ABS-passenger/292344253608?hash=item4411134ca8:g:VuoAAOSwGUBZ65zL

6 minutes ago, TMB said:

Thanks. I saw that one. It's meant to be for a Fabia, but it came off a Polo? (Am I reading it right?)

Is this a new one? 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Wheel-Suspension-Stub-Axle-VAI-V106342-Top-German-Quality-/192225533860

EDIT: Does the bearing kit look ok? 

Edited by GeneralDogsbody

^ That's a new one but it's for the drivers side. There's really no need to buy a brand-new one. It's not the sort of thing that wears out. I'd be interested to know why the garage thinks yours is knackered. Also hope the garage knows how to install Gen2 bearings because if they just press them in by the hub flange they will be ruined.

Polo and Fabia carriers of the same year are the same.

Edited by TMB
  • Like 1

I'm glad I don't have to rely on garages. I don't even like leaving my car with them for MOT.

Edited by TMB
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, GeneralDogsbody said:

It's so annoying that my Dad's a mechanic who owed his own garage - and I haven't seen him for 30 years! I'm being punished for former bad deeds in a past life! 

Hope you can get it sorted out and get some good use out of it.

Thanks again, Lee. I have been searching for a bearing hub carrier all day. ECP don't stock one, and GSF want £110 for this one (if bought over the phone) 

https://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=371939921730&alt=web&globalID=EBAY-GB&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Frover.ebay.com%2Frover%2F0%2Fe11051.m43.l1123%2F7%3Feuid%3D03d549cd1c244ac890799d46cfec79e6%26bu%3D43141134809%26cp%3D1%26sojTags%3Dbu%3Dbu

Any other suggestions as to where I could look? (wary about buying 2nd hand parts again!)

A used one with a new bearing properly fitted to it would be fine. At the end of the day it's just a chunk of metal with no moving parts.

14 minutes ago, TMB said:

A used one with a new bearing properly fitted to it would be fine. At the end of the day it's just a chunk of metal with no moving parts.

I'm just worried about buying the wrong one! There seems to be a lot of different versions for my car.......

2 minutes ago, GeneralDogsbody said:

I'm just worried about buying the wrong one! There seems to be a lot of different versions for my car.......

Whats your engine code and year of car?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GeneralDogsbody said:

2007 and AXR? 

So it's one of these depending on production codes (on a sticker in your service book and under the boot carpet). Doubt there's any important difference between them tbh.

56677.png

6787899.png

67778889.png

Edited by TMB

3 hours ago, Wino said:

I think the first of those will be compatible with 256mm front disc  set-up, the second one with 239mm and the last one 288mm?

I'm not 100% sure though.

Oooh never thought of that. Could well be.

I'm confused about the third one TBH. Not for 288mm, that's listed separately as a 7A item by the looks of it. Possibly another 239mm variant. Probably not relevant anyway as the OP's engine code appears in the first item 7 listing, the -AC part.

11 minutes ago, Wino said:

I'm confused about the third one TBH. Not for 288mm, that's listed separately as a 7A item by the looks of it. Possibly another 239mm variant. Probably not relevant anyway as the OP's engine code appears in the first item 7 listing, the -AC part.

Could it be for a car with no ABS? no sensor hole?

• Like 1

Maybe.

I'll have a look at the part number on a spare one I have at home shortly. Though that definitely does have an ABS sensor, it took major brutality to remove it, even working from inside as well as outside!

Edit; just had a quick look but can't find it...

Edited by Wino

As my phone's camera has decided to now break, I have been unable to get a picture of the sticker. I have also been on a wild goose chase today, trying to find a supplier of the wheel bearing housing/hub. I've tried; Euro Car Parts, KMS and Exhausts Unlimited/Wilco.  Is there any other stockist that you could recommend that might have a new one, for a decent price? (I'd like to buy 2nd hand, but I know I'll get a duff one, and as I've just got a refund for one of my gearboxes. I'd like to do it right, as such.....)

Thanks ;)