Clonking/knocking at low speed

Sorry for the double post, but the handling of my car is getting a bit more 'wayward' and I gave  my Wife a lift earlier, and she looked scared for her life! (might just be my driving coupled with the 'hard' ride as she put it) 

Does anyone have any ideas as to were I can get a new wheel bearing housing for a good price? 

Thanks ;-)

Edited by GeneralDogsbody

@GeneralDogsbody, I found the bearing carrier I was looking for the other day in my workshop this afternoon (While looking for something else, of course).

It appears to have the part number 6Q0407255R, which has been superceded by 6Q0407255AC according to this page.

So I think it could be what you're after. I took the bearing out a while back, for practice with my Gen2 toolset, and the casting is pretty rusty, but most of that will disappear easily with a wire brushing.

Let me know if you might be interested, and I can take some photos. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2017 at 20:28, Wino said:

@GeneralDogsbody, I found the bearing carrier I was looking for the other day in my workshop this afternoon (While looking for something else, of course).

It appears to have the part number 6Q0407255R, which has been superceded by 6Q0407255AC according to this page.

So I think it could be what you're after. I took the bearing out a while back, for practice with my Gen2 toolset, and the casting is pretty rusty, but most of that will disappear easily with a wire brushing.

Let me know if you might be interested, and I can take some photos. 

Hi Wino. I've only just seen your post - annoyingly, I have already bought a new bearing carrier to be fitted.......£132! Blast! The bloomin' car's squeaking like mad in the wet weather everytime I drive over a speed bump - it's doing my head in. I don't know what else I can grease on it!  

• 4 weeks later...

So, here's the latest saga in my sorry little tale. The hub carrier and wheel bearing was changed, which brought the alignment into 'spec' (as the garage called it) Sadly, the car is squeaking like mad from EVERYWHERE, and even when I'm just driving down the road. The squeaking happens when I'm turning, as well. It sounds as if it's coming from the OSF wheel. What can I grease to stop it? (SEE PICTURE! LOLZ) Thanks. I just wish that there was a Briskoda member around Cambridge who knew these cars better than some randomer in a garage.  

EDIT: One good piece of news - the car passed its MOT with no advisories :) 

Capture.JPG

So the squeaking only started after they replaced the bearing and carrier? Is the squeaking related to speed or going over bumps. Does it disappear if the brakes are pressed?

Does it drive properly now?

Honestly, the people at that 'garage' you go to want bloody shooting.

Edited by TMB
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TMB said:

So the squeaking only started after they replaced the bearing and carrier? Is the squeaking related to speed or going over bumps. Does it disappear if the brakes are pressed?

Honestly, the people at that 'garage' you go to want bloody shooting.

Yeah, one load of squeaking started after the hub carrier and bearing was fitted. I had to pay another hour's labour though, as it was still out of alignment after those parts. They had to 'adjust' the lower arm - God only knows what they did. If I take it back to them, they said they'll charge me if the squeaking is nothing to do with what they did previously. The only problem is, the squeaking is coming from the opposite side. I've been fleeced by two garages now, and it's doing my head in. Can't stand the bloomin car, as well. 

I did fire a pressure washer in all the wheel arches and it stopped the squeaking for twenty minutes. 

There is no adjustment on the lower arm unless they meant the three ball joint bolts which are such a close fit it hardly makes any difference.

Edited by TMB
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GeneralDogsbody said:

I did fire a pressure washer in all the wheel arches and it stopped the squeaking for twenty minutes. 

Maybe its not much help, but, I had a creaking noise which only happened when braking moving forward. Pressure washed the car and all the arches etc and it stopped for about a week. Eventually i gave up trying to find out what it was and it went away on its own. Also had a knocking noise from front left which started after having work done on front suspension. Again, it went away on its own as i drove the car more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TMB said:

There is no adjustment on the lower arm unless they meant the three ball joint bolts which are such a close fit it hardly makes any difference.

The garage said they had to drill something?! 

Thanks for the feedback, as well, C. Sadly the loud squeaking I've been getting has been there since I bought it, and is still there with 90% new parts. I've been out and greased the droplink and ball joint and console Bush on the osf, but to no avail, as the new squeak is still there. 

Need more description of the squeaking. I tried asking some questions which have't been answered. Can't diagnose stuff with a crystal ball.

Sorry, TMB and the gang, I was trying to view this thread on my phone, whilst my little boy was running around (no chance!) so my answers were all over the place. 

Yes, the 'new' squeak only started after the garage fitted the new carrier and bearing (and butchered the lower suspension) 

The squeak isn't speed-based, it appears when driving only a poor surface etc (not always, though) I can also get the squeak if I 'dry steer'/turn at low speed  or rock the steering to side to side when stationary. I don't know if it goes after touching the brakes, I'll have to check. 

The car drives much better - the steering tracks straight, and it has more front-end grip than before. The NSF wheel is still a little on the wonk......... 

Sure its not another part of the car like the dashboard creaking which you are mistaking for the suspension?

I'm 99% sure the squeak is coming from the OSF wheel arch area. The other squeak at the front when going over speedhumps sounds as if it's from lower front end. The squeak from the rear sometimes sounds as if it's coming from inside the car! Any suggestions? Rear seats etc.....

Many thanks in advance :)

So it happens even when dry steering, and it temporarily went away when you pressure washed the wheel arches. Hmmm. Can't think of a reasonable explanation that makes sense. Very hard to know without being able to examine the car. We don't even know if they've put it all back together properly, or even installed the Gen2 bearing properly.

I think (and hope!) that I might have sussed it. I took a trigger spray filled with water and a shot of washing up liquid with me on a long journey I had to do today, and systematically started spraying bits of suspension. The noise went away when I sprayed the OSF outer track-rod end - 1/2 a mile later the noise came back. I'll gun both of with some GT85 tomorrow and see what happens.  

Could the track rod ends be causing the groaning noise when I go over speed humps after it rains? 

Well, back to the drawing board! I've greased both outer track rod ends and the noise is still there. I'm getting an intermittent gentle knocking/tapping from the osf wheel when I pull away from rest in 1st gear, as well now. Any ideas? 

find another garage who knows a bit about cars. All these new noises appearing can't just be happening by chance. Considering you've had so much work done on it i would probably put some of the noises down to parts not being fitted correctly to the right torque values etc

Well, touch wood, I think the noises have gone! The car's still squeaking like mad from the front when its wet though. Just can't figure out how to sort it. I've had all of the suspension replaced, and everything's been washed down and re-greased. Still squeaks like a good'un over speedhumps until it dries out. 

48 minutes ago, GeneralDogsbody said:

Well, touch wood, I think the noises have gone! The car's still squeaking like mad from the front when its wet though. Just can't figure out how to sort it. I've had all of the suspension replaced, and everything's been washed down and re-greased. Still squeaks like a good'un over speedhumps until it dries out. 

ARB bushes possibly?

11 hours ago, sepulchrave said:

ARB bushes possibly?

That worked for my wife's old 2002 Polo, I think that it suffered a "small" bit of "mooing/squeaking" under certain weather conditions for maybe 4 years before MOT man dished out an advisory for slight movement in ARB mounting (car got a new style ARB at maybe 4 or 5 years old complete with new correct bushes), I replaced them and noise disappeared, now if I had been smart enough, I could have stopped that in its tracks a lot earlier!

Is it hard to remove the plastic undertray/sump guard? I can't get to the ARB bushes without removing it (I might have already have asked this somewhere before......)

And the noise went away today, after heavy rain - then returned when everything dried out. I get a groaning noise from the steering when I turn as well, now. 

Sorry to double post, but I was wondering where you can get the rubber/plastic covers that go over the rear dampers to protect them? (look like long, thin black sleeves) My local garage has said that mine should have been changed when the b4s where fitted and the old ones are perished. Could the fact that rain water is getting into the dampers cause them to squeak over speed humps when wet? 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SKODA-FABIA-1-2-1-4-1-6-1-9D-2-REAR-SHOCK-ABSORBER-PROTECTORS-BUMP-STOP-KITS/330748356618?hash=item4d0223680a:m:mwizKvlXPkGtagpaaEL91RA

I doubt water would get past the top piston rod seals, it's not even an automatic MOT failure if the covers are missing but it's not exactly ideal. The bump stops hold the covers up and it's a common thing for them to rot away causing the covers to drop down.

retmnb.jpg

Edited by TMB