Unexplained beep

simhub

Hi all

I'm getting a single beep sometimes from the dash. It's fairly high pitched and about one second long, but there is no message on the maxidot to tell me what it means. It happens most often when leaving a roundabout, but sometimes at other times as well. 

Can anyone shed any light for me please? 

Sorry can't tell you for sure but have a suggestion that might help narrow it down. The only beeps (I'm aware of so far) that don't result in something in the maxi dot are from the parking sensors, my suggestion is change the tone of the front parking detectors, this may at least help narrow it down. Hope it helps.

14 hours ago, MaddicIrl said:

Sorry can't tell you for sure but have a suggestion that might help narrow it down. The only beeps (I'm aware of so far) that don't result in something in the maxi dot are from the parking sensors, my suggestion is change the tone of the front parking detectors, this may at least help narrow it down. Hope it helps.

That's an idea, I will try changing the tone and see what happens. 

8 hours ago, RickTT said:

is not one of the rear seat belt warning beeps is it ? you dont happen to have something heavy on the rear seat do you which may trigger it ?  or even front seat ?

That was my first thought, I do usually have a bag on the passenger seat. I drove to work yesterday with my bag in the footwell though and the beep still came up a couple of times. 

20 minutes ago, MaddicIrl said:

It may also be worth noting the speed of the vehicle when the beep occurs as different systems are active at different speeds.

Usually leaving a roundabout, so about 20mph I'd say. 

On my wife's car  (Peugeot 108) when travelling at lower speeds and going around obstacles, say a round about or parked car, if the front camera thinks you might hit something it gives out a beep to warn you. 

58 minutes ago, simhub said:

Usually leaving a roundabout, so about 20mph I'd say. 

There are so many different systems that activate or deactivate around that speed, (Park Assist, lane assist, emergency braking, cruise control, etc.) I can appreciate its not easy to do accurately and maintain attention on driving but it may offer additional clues. If you can turn off certain assists (maybe cruise control for example) it may also give additional information if it is still present or not.

I've heard a beep a couple of times when the system 'thinks' I've got a little too close to the car in front, on each occasion I've been in fairly heavy traffic and moving quite slowly. The first time it happened I didn't notice anything in the display because I was concentrating on what was going on around me but the second time there was a 'close proximity' indicator in the display, but it only appeared very briefly. Are you perhaps moving into heavy traffic on the roundabout?

2 hours ago, Whaty said:

I've heard a beep a couple of times when the system 'thinks' I've got a little too close to the car in front, on each occasion I've been in fairly heavy traffic and moving quite slowly. The first time it happened I didn't notice anything in the display because I was concentrating on what was going on around me but the second time there was a 'close proximity' indicator in the display, but it only appeared very briefly. Are you perhaps moving into heavy traffic on the roundabout?

I did wonder that, but it happened a couple of times this morning with nothing in front of me at all, and there's definitely nothing on the Maxidot.  I'm going to try doing up all the seatbelts on the empty seats next...

Do you also notice it on acceleration by any chance?  Do you notice it on acceleration?   You could inadvertently set it to a speed and it will beep every time you go over that speed.  Do you notice it on acceleration?   I don't have ACC though so not sure how the system works with that.

I may have worked this out, and it makes me look slightly foolish :blush: 

I think the beep is actually coming from my dashcam.  I'm not sure yet, but I'll have a play around tonight.  I'm certain I turned off all the 'assist' features, but I may have left something enabled by mistake that's causing it to beep.

Thank you to those who tried to help :)

Mine beeps when it is triggered into "emergency mode" which means it is saving and protecting a clip and used to trigger all the time coming off of roundabouts - it's the sudden change in G-force from left to right that trips the sensor and it thinks you're having an accident :)  I turned my sensitivity down from high to medium and seems to fix for most situations except from when I'm driving really hard...   Mine only has 15 "protected" clips as well so it was forever filling up and had to keep deleting clips of me driving too fast in case I actually needed to save something!

Edited by nicklouse