Superb 2.0 TSi DSG Fuel Consumption

BobT

Had my new Superb for 2 weeks now and just coming up to 700 miles.  Runs like a dream and so glad I went for the petrol 220 bhp.  Interestingly getting 40-45 on a run which I reckon is fantastic for a 2 litre petrol.  Also for anyone thinking of ordering a Superb I can recommend the Active Cruise Control it is just brilliant on Motorways.  No niggles so far just runs perfect.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing, I'm coming back to a petrol after around 12 years of diesel ownership.

I'm going for the 280 engine , hoping I can get between 30 -35mpg.

Doing mostly town driving and short trips now so a diesel didn't make sense, combined with the backlash on diesel and having to keep filling up ad blu

I think you will be lucky to achieve that sort of mpg. My trips are very similar to your own and I am getting 28 mpg. Still you can't have everything and the 280 is brilliant in every other way.

7 minutes ago, Robbydazzler said:

I think you will be lucky to achieve that sort of mpg. My trips are very similar to your own and I am getting 28 mpg. Still you can't have everything and the 280 is brilliant in every other way.

Thanks Robby dazzler, I can live with that mpg for a little bit more fun 

I rely on pump readings over a full tank, rather than the onboard readouts. My last tank was 37 mpg on mixed driving. I'll take that. As a side note, the fuel mileage has not suffered since adding the PedalBox+, even though the acceleration is a bit more spirited.

Screen print of long term since new. Steady progressive driving but much at 40-50 mph. One or two longer motorway journeys when mpg does improve if avoid too much heavy foot.

2 car mpg.jpg

I'm getting about 35mpg from my 220 on my dual carriageway and motorway commute, I'm still on the first tank of fuel though.  I was hoping for a little more but maybe it will improve with time.  I got about 35 mpg from my 1.8TSI Mk2 as well.

Since refuel I am averaging 35mpg with some town and some A roads with traffic and some spirited driving, more than I was expecting from the 280 TBH so I am a happy bunny :)

With mostly town driving 28 seems about right, although short trips  less than 3 miles or so you will likely be around the 24 mark.

OK all sounds good. Yes I have come back to Petrol after 20 years of Diesel and its a revelation. I had forgotten how nice and quiet a petrol is......

19 hours ago, Gearcam said:

Hi Everyone

What fuel are you using in your 220's I have a new car 6 weeks old just using Tesco Momentum99  Ron feels like more power not sure about MPG yet

Hi

My MPG was "iffy" for the first couple of thousand miles and i was thinking how I was going to keep up with the amount of fuel it wanted and then literally overnight it shotup.  Currently getting 550 miles avg from a tank of fuel (Tesco 99).

Yes I'm also getting over 40 MPG with 95 octane supermarket fuel in my 220 L&K. Mind you I have been running it in so not tried the launch control (or even much sport mode for that matter!). Plenty of cruising with the ACC though. Love it. 

I've just had a 3 day test drive of a 220 tsi Dsg hatchback and on a long run to. Aberdeen and back got 43 mpg according to dot matrix. My 2.0 170 tdi DSG just returned 48.7 on the same trip. 

I liked apaptive cc but think it harms fuel economy with constant breaking. 

3 hours ago, kevin defty said:

I liked apaptive cc but think it harms fuel economy with constant breaking. 

I'm inclined to agree with you. Also it must be irritating for following drivers to constantly see your brake lights coming on.

35 minutes ago, facet edge said:

I'm inclined to agree with you. Also it must be irritating for following drivers to constantly see your brake lights coming on.

I think if you read the road ahead you can adjust speed often without the need to brake. 

1 hour ago, kevin defty said:

I think if you read the road ahead you can adjust speed often without the need to brake. 

I'm in full agreement with that, we are reading the road much further ahead than the ACC does.  Also I find myself losing speed as it adjusts to the car in front that I want to overtake when the outside lane clears. I tried to set the sensor closer but I find one bar a bit unnerving when following another car.

23 minutes ago, facet edge said:

I'm in full agreement with that, we are reading the road much further ahead than the ACC does.  Also I find myself losing speed as it adjusts to the car in front that I want to overtake when the outside lane clears. I tried to set the sensor closer but I find one bar a bit unnerving when following another car.

As soon as I decide I'm going to move out to overtake I use accelerator to override acc. If you don't there is a danger you can pull out and slow down with faster traffic catching you up. 

5 minutes ago, kevin defty said:

As soon as I decide I'm going to move out to overtake I use accelerator to override acc. If you don't there is a danger you can pull out and slow down with faster traffic catching you up. 

Yeah, sort of defeats the object of having ACC though doesn't it? I do find it useful for sticking to speed limits, one thing not to worry about.

50 minutes ago, facet edge said:

Also I find myself losing speed as it adjusts to the car in front that I want to overtake when the outside lane clears. I tried to set the sensor closer but I find one bar a bit unnerving when following another car.

Indicating right will keep the ACC going instead of slowing down until you get very close to the car in front, but it does feel unnaturally early to indicate sometimes. 

15 hours ago, simhub said:

Indicating right will keep the ACC going instead of slowing down until you get very close to the car in front, but it does feel unnaturally early to indicate sometimes. 

I know but I am usually waiting for a faster car to overtake so using the indicator will only complicate matters.

1 hour ago, facet edge said:

I know but I am usually waiting for a faster car to overtake so using the indicator will only complicate matters.

That is annoying. Normal cruise control works well in quiet traffic and ACC works well in busy traffic, but it seems neither is great for in-between traffic. 

• 4 months later...

Interesting read regarding mpg on new 220's. I picked my Sportline a few days ago and with mixed town, dual carriage way and motorway I'm averaging 26-27mpg, and that's with a light driving style so far. Off forums and the likes of Honest John I was expecting (hoping) for mid-30's. It's one of the reasons I chose it over the 280.

Have those who've commented so far seen their mpg improve? There's mixed messages online about whether modern engine's need bedding in, although it'd do no harm. After 15 years of diesel I'm a relative newbie to petrol, so I'd appreciate others experience of early days in a petrol car. 

Cheers.