Door Not Unlocking

Roomy1

The rear passenger side  door doesn't always unlock with the key fob/remote.  Started recently, at first if I pressed the unlock button on the remote twice really quickly it was fine.  Now even that doesn't always work.  If I get in the car and press the unlock button inside on the central console it unlocks, although not from the outside but from the inside.  Once it opens it works fine for a day or so, and then after locking with the remote it doesn't open again.

Is there a key fob/remote receiver in the door that might be the problem, or something else?

Edited by Roomy1

There is only 1 remote receiver, not one in each door. So the fact that other doors open it does mean your ECU is receiving and decoding the Key-Fob radio command OK. The need to double press for all the doors other than just the drivers door is something that can be turned on and off with VCDS. I've turned it off on mine as I prefer one press opens all doors.

If you tried from inside the car when you had this problem do you get the same symptoms as you state with the centre console switch, that it can be open from the inside but not the outside ?

Does the door lock make any noises as you press the key fob ?  If it was me I would pull the door wiring gaitor back and check for any broken wires. Push a thin blade screwdriver gently at the top of the gaitor between car body and rubber gaitor it will then come away from the car body. Push the gaitor back and check for any braking wires, insulation cuts etc. Then I would blame the door lock jamming.

Thanks, one press to open all doors sounds like a great idea.  What's VCDS and is it something I can change or is it a garage job?

I've tried a couple of times today, when it doesn't unlock using the keyfob, you can open it using the central console switch, both from the outside AND inside.

There's no noise when I press the keyfob, there is a noise when opens using the central console switch.  However, I've noticed that sometimes when you press unlock on the console switch it still doesn't open.  Then you have to press lock and then unlock on the switch and then it opens fine.

Hello Roomy1,

VCDS is a faults diagnostic device/system, there are members scattered all over UK who offer help with fault-tracing and re-coding issues using their VCDS, I got my doors re-coded for free by Barrie (thanks, Barrie!) from double- click, to single-click to open all doors; done at the Briskoda National event at Rockingham couple of years ago.

There's a whole section on VCDS, just scroll further down into "Tech, maintenance and care", then "Diagnostics and VCDS".  Think you'll find there's a map or other way of locating a VCDS-equipped member near you; it can be helpful to include your location in your Profile/Signature or whatever it's called!

I also found a VCDS-member near here, when I had an HID better-headlights kit fitted, needed a VCDS check to ensure the car's ECU (Electronic Control Unit) wouldn't throw a Fault Code; being an earlier car, it didn't, he emailed me the printout of the checks his VCDS performed, very helpful.  As no corrections were needed, he didn't charge me anything; I've heard some VCDS-providers ask for "beer tokens"!

PS yours is starting to sound like wiring breaks in the gaiter, had similar with my tailgate.  If you find broken wires or broken insulation, there may well be a nice repair kit from Sencom (German firm), google will find it, make sure you specify model, year, and eg. "left side rear".   Easily fitted by my local good-value garageman. Kit was c£50.

Be interested to hear if it's wiring breaks, or the door-lock actuator unit; I've just had to get the actuator on my driver's door changed, as was having to use the key to open my door, despite all the others opening via the remote.  Skoda list price was c£115, I got the part number from the dealer, then searched online, found one new for £24-50, plus £60 labour to fit (same friendly small local garage).

HTH.  Richard

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there all. I have the same problem as Aubrey. The passenger door on the driver's side won't lock or unlock at the moment. It's happened before and fixed itself for months -  but has recently started to do this again. I wonder if it's the wet weather sometimes! You can hear the lock working inside when you use the remote, but it's not unlocking. The other three doors and boot locks all work like they should. Can someone point me to where the central console switch is so I can try that. Thanks!

Edited by Morgana

UPDATE: Hi there again, Doh, I found the switch, but it didn't unlock the car door. However - I tried pulling the door handle on the outside and squirted a bit of WD40 PTFE dry silicone? spray into the inside of the door handle and after a few minutes it worked, and the door unlocked when I tried the remote key. After getting it open (it's remained locked solid for a few weeks now, both from the inside and the outside) I sprayed some more of the spray onto the lock mechanism. It was very dirty in there, so I gave it a good clean and then sprayed a bit more for good luck!  It seems to have worked, will update further if its a permanent solution. I intend to do all the others and give those a clean as well. I don't know how the dirt gets in, but it seems to interfere with the lock mechanisms when it builds up, I think.

Edited by Morgana
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hi, did you ever replace the faulty door lock? If so, where did the replacement come from?

I have same problem in my 2007 1.6 petrol roomster.

Left rear door is permanently deadlocked. Sometimes if I am lucky I can unlock it, thumping door with engine running while unlock button is pressed inside the car.

Big problem is, how to find a reasonably priced (aftermarket?) replacement lock, part nr. 75A-5J7839015A.

There are loads advertized on theebay, approx. 28 pounds, mostly from Preston. According to the listing it should fit the roomster.

But, when contacted, the sellers say 'it won't fit your car!

Is there an aftermarket lock for nearside rear, or do we have to get original Skoda (very, very expensive)?

Any suggestions welcomed! Thanks