iPlayer (et al) and DLNA player

mbames

Background

My current Sony Smart TV has slowly seen most of its app phased out - I turned it on tonight to find that iPlayer no longer works (itv and channel 5 services vanished a while back), and 4oD was never supported (although it is on SOny Bluray players)

I also have a rpi for streaming DLNA content over the network - the TV also supported this but struggled with being unable to decode everything and the rpi running OSMC offered a slicker interface and was happy to be controlled by the remote for my TV (nice tidy solution).

Going forward

I want to purchase a device which will support the playback of DLNA files and be able to access iPlayer, and the like.  I have little need (or demand) to record actual TV), so that feature isn't high up my list.  Likewise local storage in the device isn't required, and I can then re-purpose the rpi for other jobs,

Reviews that I've read so far tonight don't really seem to say if devices on the market for catch up TV support streaming from local network devices.

Wifi support isn't necessary, I got 2 x cat 5 connections available at the TV.

Any suggestions as to a suitable device which supports my limited requirements and may be relatively future proof (I realise the latter point may be asking too much!)

I do all of that and more currently with a H96+ Pro android box. 

Native android apps for streaming tv and BubbleUpnP for my in-house stuff. 

Recording can be achieved but I don't use that. Also have a fair few GB's hanging off the back in USB storage. 

I have tried a lot of solutions in the past and this just works. 

Can't go wrong for under £60.

( my kids now use my older H96+ boxes from a few years ago with no problems) 

• Like 1

We use our Amazon Fire TV box £80 with AirPlay/DLNA app £2 and it's been faultless and very simply to use. 

The network drive is a Seagate one that came with Plex which gets good reviews but we've never got on with it. You can also get this app for the Amazon Fire TV

Edited by CWARD

22 minutes ago, CWARD said:

Plex which gets good reviews but we've never got on with it. 

I've a PLEX server (modified HP Micro server) and while it takes a little time to get to grips with it (File names have to be a specific format to get the meta data) - It does seem quick especially if it needs to transcode on the fly.

Could be part of the reason we had problems as we have quite an old but very large library which took it over a day to add and then there was plenty of files missing so could have been the name format.

If you're an Amazon subscriber the Firebox (4k) is a good move otherwise one of the compatible Android boxes will be cheaper.

I picked the Roku 3 as it can do Now TV, Netflix, Amazon Video, Google, Wauki TV , Crunchyroll, Iplayer, ITV Hub, 4all, Five Player , PLEX, Youtube and a DLNA player all in native apps ie. it seemed to cover the most services . I found that the Fire products were missing the some apps (they were there for Android but didn't work too well for the Fire stick and required extra "fiddling" to get working).  Both are good that they have a Bluetooth remote and can be hidden away behind the TV.   I did look at the android boxes but decided that the support would be better with the Roku.

It was purchased as we were having a similar problem to you as the TV smart features were not longer being supported (although the TV is only 4 years old).

Edited by io1901

20 hours ago, biomulv said:

I do all of that and more currently with a H96+ Pro android box. 

Native android apps for streaming tv and BubbleUpnP for my in-house stuff. 

Recording can be achieved but I don't use that. Also have a fair few GB's hanging off the back in USB storage. 

I have tried a lot of solutions in the past and this just works. 

Can't go wrong for under £60.

( my kids now use my older H96+ boxes from a few years ago with no problems) 

+1 on this - its so eay to adapt to your own needs - put kodi on it and you have the best DLNA player about for the money

Thanks all, I've now got a "H96+ plus" on order for £55.

About the only smart feature left on my TV will be the TrackId button - Sony which is only about 5 years old I'd guess.

• Like 1

Apps on TVs apps in cars. It'll all end in tears. There is next to no chance the manufacturers will support them for the lifetime of the device. They are practically abandoned at birth. 

Much better to have an external box running the apps which you can maintain for longer.

1 hour ago, Aspman said:

Apps on TVs apps in cars. It'll all end in tears. There is next to no chance the manufacturers will support them for the lifetime of the device. They are practically abandoned at birth. 

Much better to have an external box running the apps which you can maintain for longer.

I do agree, but I liked the "one-box" (the TV can do DLNA, but is limited in its supported media types)  and one remote control solution up till now.  I'll give Sony credit for numerous firmware updates to the TV over the years (one every month or 2 to start with, and they have dwindled off now).