What is stopping you buying a new car?

CWARD

What is stopping you buying a new car?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. What is stopping you from buying a new car?

• Brexit economy concerns
    • Emissions scandal has reduced you car value
    • Concern over the future of diesels
    • Nothing wrong with current car so no need to change
    • Waiting a bit longer to see what happens with Electric Vehicles
    • Nothing new in car technology that makes you want to change
    • It's another debt that you'd rather not have for the sake of new car

Reasons for not buying a new car:

1. Disappointed with VAG over the emissions saga and their subsequent handling of matters.

2. Completely fed up with car franchises and the general preoccupation to attain a sale at the expense of proper customer service.

3. Bored with car design and the current SUV “fixation”.

4. Much better value to be had in the used market both trade and private 

5. Committed to independent servicing regimes rather than dealer servicing.

6. Intense dislike of the bogus deals (such as diesel scrappage and dealer contributions).

I have always bought my cars, whether used or new, with cash. I will not be buying new again. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jars said:

Nothing wrong with my car and nothing I want more without spending a bucket load of cash that I should be putting towards two weddings :biggrin:

I've already told my two girls that they have to pay for their own weddings.  They are 11 and 8 at the moment so that gives them plenty of time to save up.  It then frees me up to spend my money on more important stuff such as remaps etc.

1 hour ago, kevberlin said:

3. Bored with car design and the current SUV “fixation”.

I'm with you on the SUV design thing.  I can't stand them and look forward to the day when people decide to actively look at the aesthetics of what they are buying,

As for the initial questions, I went for the 'Nothing wrong with my current car' option.  I do look at what's currently new with a view to buying in five years or so when they have come down in price, but have no intention of changing for a long time yet.  The Superb 280 Estate looks interesting as a base car and might respond well to a remap and handling mods but seeing as they are over £30k, I'll be waiting a long while yet.

The wife wants a SWB M-Sport Transit Crew Cab as a family car but I pointed out that a £33k van is way out of my league seeing as I drive a ten year old Skoda worth about £5k.  :D

Edited by skinnyman

53 minutes ago, skinnyman said:

I've already told my two girls that they have to pay for their own weddings.  They are 11 and 8 at the moment so that gives them plenty of time to save up.  It then frees me up to spend my money on more important stuff such as remaps etc.

ng,

They’re my weddings :blink:

• Like 1

1.  Cannot afford one at the moment.  Not sure I would want to purchase a new one even if I could.

2.  Uncertainty over future legislation.  At the moment the current fad is to put diesels in the firing line.  How long until it is petrol, or non commercial vehicles.  Paris had a total car free day last week, and it appeared it went down well.  Not sure how viable it would be for that to be permanent, but who knows; Brexit, Trump as President et al?

3.  I am amazed at my current vehicles capabilities; comfort, motorway cruising, surefootedness, the low down torque (never tire of being pushed back into my seat when I floor it)

4.  It has been the most unreliable vehicle I have ever owned.  SUK and the dealerships are an absolute disgrace when dealing with complaints.  I really do not want a repeat performance.

5.  Cars are now deemed as 'white goods', and therefore disposable.  The number of people who take pride and actually care about their vehicles appears to be in the decline.  If they do not care about their vehicle, do you actually think they care about yours?  I commented on here about the number of times people have banged doors/trolleys/prams into my vehicle and not acknowledged or apologised for it, and the common feedback I got was, "happens every day/it's only a car, why lose sleep over it?".

Edited by Guest

Re 5.

Some of those who think car-park knocks are acceptable might instead take umbrage at people who drive an oldish diesel VW polluter in a city environment. 

We all have different values and moral compasses.

Too soon since last change.

but also:

Waiting a bit longer to see what happens with Electric Vehicles generally.

and:

Much as I like cars, I find the buying and selling of cars a generally stressful and unpleasant experience.

and:

Don't want to buy on the never never.

Hoping diesel is not dead and that they get the regens and reliability back under control as I would like to get back to proper diesel torque

and economy. That is the main thing that would get me back in the market.