Vibration and very hot, smelly passenger side wheel arch

Tan62

Hi all, I have a 2011 Skoda Superb estate, 170 bhp auto. Noticed the passenger side wheel arch gets hot and when I took it in to ATs for wheel balancing, they also said nuts wer very hot and looked like it might neeed a Caliper change as brakes seemed to be binding. When the car gets warm regards, it also vibrates a bit from low speed 25mph upwards- not terrible but noticeable whe. Holding th steering wheel - could both these be linked?

The ATs garage I went to don’t do repair brakes and referred me to another branch to have them check it out - drove past Kwik Fit and without looking said the Calipers, brakes and discs needed changing and it would cost £750 for both sides as both should be done at the same time. This seems awfully expensive and do I have to get both done. The guy at ATS was very helpful and looked at both brakes and said the divers side looked all fine. How much should I expect to pay?

Tan

Get rich quick eh ?  I would most certainly say no need to replace a good caliper and the sticking one (if it is sticking) may only need repair. Sometimes it is a good idea to replace discs in pairs but if the ok side has minimal wear not essential to replace the disc. Pads both sides,. Sounds like you need a decent honest garage or mechanic to take a look. They are rare, but there are some left.

Nige

Edited by Ennine
SP

2 hours ago, Tan62 said:

drove past Kwik Fit and without looking said the Calipers, brakes and discs needed changing and it would cost £750 for both sides as both should be done at the same time. This seems awfully expensive and do I have to get both done. The guy at ATS was very helpful and looked at both brakes and said the divers side looked all fine. How much should I expect to pay?

Tan

Er no

Go somewhere else that knows what they are doing

If calipers stick other damage can be done - eg wheel bearing but £750 is way OTT

Brake pads and disks should be changed in pairs (not calipers though)

Edited by bigjohn

At ATS Euromaster now and they are replacing the pads, Caliper, discs and doing wheel alignment on both front sides for £550

They alloys were red hot on passenger side but ok on drivers side and pads had worn out almost on passenger side.

dont want to risk anything with brakes because of safety and had god experience before with ATs so going ahead with repair.

Tan

here is my 2013 superb it is one of the best vehicles i have ever owned, it is achieving 52.9 mpg at 66 mph on a journey with 4 occupants it is a 2.0ltr diesel. does anyone get this kind of mileage from there 2.0 ltr superb

SDC10590.JPG

13 hours ago, bigjohn said:

Er no

Go somewhere else that knows what they are doing

If calipers stick other damage can be done - eg wheel bearing but £750 is way OTT

Brake pads and disks should be changed in pairs (not calipers though)

i find that shopping around for parts is the way to go, just replaced my front discs and pads earlier in the year the parts were £70. from a car parts shop in bishop auckland called coulthards m/f, they are the biz.

1 minute ago, chimaera said:

That's not going to cause the brakes to bind and overheat.

have i read your insert wrong, you said you were getting a smelly aroma from the rear wheel arch, if the suspension low / damaged the vehicle could be rubbing on the wheel burning rubber does give off a rancid smell, (haS your caliper seized up) I WOULD GET IT CHECKED OUT or if you can jack it up do that and try to rotate the wheel with the wheel on, this will tell you if the wheel is hard to turn

1 hour ago, georgieporgie70 said:

i find that shopping around for parts is the way to go, just replaced my front discs and pads earlier in the year the parts were £70. from a car parts shop in bishop auckland called coulthards m/f, they are the biz.

have i read your insert wrong, you said you were getting a smelly aroma from the rear wheel arch, if the suspension low / damaged the vehicle could be rubbing on the wheel burning rubber does give off a rancid smell, (haS your caliper seized up) I WOULD GET IT CHECKED OUT or if you can jack it up do that and try to rotate the wheel with the wheel on, this will tell you if the wheel is hard to turn

OP said they were at ATS now and the passenger side Alloy wheel was red hot

2 hours ago, georgieporgie70 said:

Same colour as mine! It’s is indeed a lovely and underrated car. Was you car affected by the emissions scandal and if so, did you have it sorted?

Tan

2 hours ago, georgieporgie70 said:

here is my 2013 superb it is one of the best vehicles i have ever owned, it is achieving 52.9 mpg at 66 mph on a journey with 4 occupants it is a 2.0ltr diesel. does anyone get this kind of mileage from there 2.0 ltr superb

SDC10590.JPG

Car sorted and so far running fine. The left wheel had no play at all whilst th driver side was ok. They replaced discs and pads on both sides but Caliper only on passenger side. Car drives much smoother now and so far no smell or heat build up. Will drive it more tomorrow. Total cost was £523 and they also did the wheel balancing for both front tyres.

Tan

• Like 1

6 hours ago, georgieporgie70 said:

SDC10590.JPG

Which wheels are those? I just have the poverty spec 16" Spectrum alloys

The Superb II is a great mile muncher - very smooth, refined and suprisingly economical (considering it drinks from the green pump) - touch wood no problems yet.

The only minor grumble on my part is I sometimes wish the seat base was a little larger for my big 6ft 4" frame - I never get back ache (which I did slightly in my Superb I) but after a long run without stopping it can slightly "dead leg" me. My fault for being "bigjohn"

Edited by bigjohn

44 minutes ago, bigjohn said:

I have those wheels on my Elegance - Themisto's. From my experience I would strongly encourage you to stay with the 16" wheels - much better ride that the 18's!

Just my opinion - you pays your money & you takes your choice tho'

Drefaldwyn

1 hour ago, drefaldwyn said:

I have those wheels on my Elegance - Themisto's. From my experience I would strongly encourage you to stay with the 16" wheels - much better ride that the 18's!

Just my opinion - you pays your money & you takes your choice tho'

Drefaldwyn

Hmm, yes the ride on mine is fab. Could also be due to the tiny/light engine. It's also very quiet since fitting Crossclimates

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Tan62 said:

Same colour as mine! It’s is indeed a lovely and underrated car. Was you car affected by the emissions scandal and if so, did you have it sorted?

Hi Tan, it was supposed to be one of the affected ones, i did get a letter to have it done, it was done at Derrick slack skoda (Middlebrough), i have no after effects to date, but i did take it to an independent garage in Darlington who do all my MOT tests on my motorhome and car, they did an emissions test on for free and it was (clean as a whistle) the tester said, two days later i had to go to my inlaws in West Yorkshire as they are both in their eighties so i filled the car to the top with diesel, wrote down the miles and traveled down there and back the same day covering 154 miles, so i went back to the garage in my tow where  fueled up on the outward journey and filled it up again, i then did the mathes ie; divided the litres and the milage by 4.54 litres it equaled 52.9 mpg at 66 mph on cruise, i only do these speeds on the A1 as there are long roadworks on this road and it is very very busy.

so i am very happy with the car, but i have noticed one thing that may be nothing! the car has a grunt acceleration, and the fuel economy is the same but it the power is much better. i have inserted my old car the Vrs which i also loved, but i sold it to by the Superb as i was then buying a caravan, but two weeks later i sold the caravan as i stood to make £1,950, on it, so i bought a younger motorhome which is also pristine, the pictures of it are two weeks ago, but i have had it now for three and a half years. catch you later Tan62

SDC10599.JPG

SDC11262.JPG

22 hours ago, bigjohn said:

The Superb II is a great mile muncher - very smooth, refined and suprisingly economical (considering it drinks from the green pump) - touch wood no problems yet.

The only minor grumble on my part is I sometimes wish the seat base was a little larger for my big 6ft 4" frame - I never get back ache (which I did slightly in my Superb I) but after a long run without stopping it can slightly "dead leg" me. My fault for being "bigjohn"

20 hours ago, bigjohn said:

Hmm, yes the ride on mine is fab. Could also be due to the tiny/light engine. It's also very quiet since fitting Crossclimates

May I ask what 16" you are running on ? I'm already thinking about ditching the 18"s on mine and have been looking for suitable 16"

Nige

Hello big John, i can appreciate your predicament John, i am 16 stone and 6'.00. but the car has good seat movement, and all electric, and the steering yoke helps too, i really do love this car, i was going to go back to a new Vrs but i did not like the interior now, they are all too dark inside, the new soiler is crap, as is the wheels, done like the electric handbrake either, might be fine now but when the battery gets older and with these new all electric gadgets the power soon fades, you cannot tow them off either, "bad move Skoda". i really do think this will be my last new car at 70+ i dont give a damn now but i still am a petrol head and like a tug now and then, in the right place of course, i have shown a few boy racers off with (chino) that is my pet name for her, the 4x4 traction is fantastic on roundabouts, and from a standing start on an incline not much beats me from the lights, it weighs 1.75 tonne got to go john the f1 is coming to a

6 minutes ago, Ennine said:

May I ask what 16" you are running on ? I'm already thinking about ditching the 18"s on mine and have been looking for suitable 16"

Nige

Nige

Nige

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, georgieporgie70 said:

the vrs comes with 18" alloys when new, i painted the calipers with hammerite smooth red and i also painted the bearing hubs too, this does actually helps to keep the alloys clean i have done this on most of my cars, and it look very good and sporty, the paint is ok and it the heat does not affect them.

Just now, Ennine said:

It was bigjohn I quoted regarding wheel size.

Nige

Just now, Ennine said:

Nige

Just now, Ennine said:

Nige

soz!

Mine are the Spectrum 16" alloys  - fitted to both the poverty spec Superb II and some versions of the Yeti (with different tyre size)

I have two sets - one with winter tyres on (although I'm trying a set of Michelin Cross Climates on the summer set - will still swap to my Conti TS850's in the depths of winter though, for now)

Edited by bigjohn