Coolant all gone!

I parked up the car at 5:20pm after a 3 hour journey, it is now 8:07pm. There is only a few drops left in the coolant expansion tank, car cannot be driven!

Could this be the dreaded water pump problem with 2.0 TDI? But I thought that is when water pump seizes and engine overheat, not leak.

Or could this be something more expensive?

The attached photo is seen left of the engine, as you stand in front of the car. The other one is under the car, not as much water as I'd have thought.

(car not under warranty)

IMG_0532.jpg

IMG_0533.jpg

On turning the key, it beeps red warning message Check coolant! Read manual! I am pretty sure the coolant should not be this much below the minimal mark. So I don't think that's condensation on AC.

Reading this, could it be a faulty sensor causing water to escape through gasket?

But what's strange is that during the drive, everything had been normal. No steam from bonnet. I have kept an eye on oil temperature and it was in 90-100 range.

Some rubber tubing leaking?

When did you last see the coolant at normal level in the expansion tank? I'm wondering if it has been low for a long time until it has now reached the level to actuate the sensors.

That must have been my self-check before MOT, about a month ago. It was at normal, about middle of the range.

I've added tap water back up to maximum, only needed to add the amount in expansion tank. Seems like (and I really hope) you are right, a slight leak somewhere that only managed to trigger the sensor after a month.

Are you 100% certain the water on the floor is not AirCon condensation? This was my first thought as I'm sure I've seen the same under mine and my coolant level has never needed topping up.

Yeah, it might be two plus two equals five. I lost all my coolant somehow about 4 months ago (MY15); topped it up and all fine. I asked the VW tech man why it dropped so much and he was a bit meh, they just do, just keep an eye on it

Edited by Aarond

Just checked again, no water in the expansion tank, a small puddle under the car. The underside tray I photographed above is even more wet. There is definitely a leak developed yesterday.

I'll take it into a garage when they open their gates. Hopefully just a rubber tube need replacing.

Took it to a very local garage after topping up. They took the undertray off and found coolant  to be *freely running* not dripping from the timing belt area when the expansion tank cap is taken off. It appears to come from behind the aux-belt, where timing belt should be.

So hopefully only need a new timing belt + water pump.

Is there possible known failure defect for other pumps seal near the timing belt?

3 hours ago, wyx087 said:

Took it to a very local garage after topping up. They took the undertray off and found coolant  to be *freely running* not dripping from the timing belt area when the expansion tank cap is taken off. It appears to come from behind the aux-belt, where timing belt should be.

So hopefully only need a new timing belt + water pump.

Is there possible known failure defect for other pumps seal near the timing belt?

The only seal in there is the water pump seal. Fairly common fault. 

Quick update:

I'm 150 miles away from home this weekend, so plan now is to get RAC relay to deliver the car to my home local Skoda service centre on Monday morning. Have timing belt and water pump change done early next week.

The car is 1 year out of warranty, with timing belt + water pump change due in 11 months, so it's not too bad doing it slightly earlier.

Good to hear there is only the infamous water pump in that area. Thanks.

OP - had the same issue on my car. Sent you a PM.

If changing the belt and pump, ensure that the belt tensioner is changed too - I assume that this is part of the belt kit? 

Edited by Black_Sheep
  • Thanks 1

Well, RAC just visited and diagnosed with coolant leak. So now waiting for long range tow-truck to come and tow me to my local Skoda service center near home.

But strange thing is, it's no longer leaking as rapidly as last few days. Perhaps it is temperature related?

How much do dealers usually charge usually charge for diagnosis? I'm keen to have the problem fixed rather than changing the timing belt + pump and having to go back to take the car apart again.

minor edit: Dealer told me £69.99 for diagnosis.

Edited by wyx087

If you remove the plastic under-engine-tray you may well see where the leak is coming from. Failed water-pump seals tend to leak slowly (drip, drip), so you may be lucky and just have a loose or split hose. It could even be a radiator leak which a bottle of Radweld can patch-up.  RAC man should have been able to identify exactly where the leak was coming from. When my water-pump failed Skoda Assist sent a Greenflag breakdown man who said that looked like water was leaking from the water-pump.

Status update:

Diagnostic done, water pump leak. Need the standard timing belt + water pump change.

But in order to qualify for that £485 offer, I cannot keep the old water pump as it is to be sent back and recycled as part of the offer. I'd have to pay additional £50 to get hold of it. This is the first time I've heard of this. Anyone else asked about keeping old parts?

4 minutes ago, wyx087 said:

Status update:

Diagnostic done, water pump leak. Need the standard timing belt + water pump change.

But in order to qualify for that £485 offer, I cannot keep the old water pump as it is to be sent back and recycled as part of the offer. I'd have to pay additional £50 to get hold of it. This is the first time I've heard of this. Anyone else asked about keeping old parts?

Fairly common practice, especially for parts that can be reconditioned such as alternators, starter motors etc.

Any luck in recovering any of the costs for another premature failure of the water pump fitted to the EA288 engine?

12 hours ago, wyx087 said:

Status update:

I believe @Orville had a similar issue when asked about retaining his prematurely worn clutch and had to pay to keep it. Sounded like an absolute battle too getting goodwill and for Skoda UK to agree it was faulty.

Love this community, so much useful information. Shame about the brand though: after 3 years 60k miles it's your problem. It's my first Skoda and it will certainly be my last.

I went to service centre this morning, asked to be let in to take photo of parts. Saw the car on jacks and water pouring out from behind aux-belt. The engine hasn't been disassembled yet. I've authorised the timing belt + pump change and asked for a photo of the pump with serial number visible. The dealer staff had been very good so far, so it's not too bad on this front. I'd happily buy a VW car and go back there for servicing in the future.

Luckily I've still yet to trade in my old Mercedes. Nissan dealer is slow getting the used Leaf ready for collection. Otherwise I'd be limited to 60 on the motorway to work. (60 miles per day commute, mostly motorway, Leaf's motorway range is 60 miles on the motorway)