MOT passed with Advisory - Shock absorber leaking

Hi,

If someone could help me with the warranty possibilities regarding the below issue, it would be  great. 

So the car has passed the MOT but with 2 advisories NSF and OSF shock absorber having a light misting of oil. And in the inspection sheet it says "front shocks leaking".

Does anyone know if this is something covered under warranty as my original warranty runs out end of this month. I am planning to buy another year of warranty - which is coming up for around 330-350£ on skoda website.

Thanks. 

The dealer said this is an expected thing on this car :o when I said to him that the car has only done 29k miles and it still in warranty. He said mot is a different "thing" and they have to note the light misting of oil observation as an advisory. 

I asked if it was a normal thing why should it be an advisory but he went on about the car has no problem at all. Maybe I will ask skoda uk directly. 

I purchased a secondhand Mk2 FL from a franchised dealer when it was nearly 3 years old.  When they did the MOT a few months later a shock was leaking and they replaced it at no charge.

Don't know if it was 'goodwill' but it did them good as I went back to them to get my Mk3!

• Thanks 1

Dampers are designed to allow a small quantity of oil to bleed past the top seal. If the seal was completely dry it wouldn't last long. I would suggest the advisory is nothing more than a sales pitch to sell dampers.

I once got new front dampers for a mini (old style) from Quack Fut, three months later I got new front tyres, and was told the front dampers were leaking. So I got them to change them, before producing the receipt for the previous set, which were obviously still in warranty. 

• Thanks 1

They are taking the P. You ganna have to forget about it - they are trying to worry you into spending money, Go somewhere else for the next MOT

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S00perb said:

If you are still worried, get the car MOTd somewhere else now. Far cheaper then new shocks.

Thanks for the reply. The car has passed MOT but with the advisory that there is a light misting of oil on the shock absorber. I think I will take it to an independent and get his view. 

I've had it pop up as an advisory but not following year despite the same shocking being fitted.

It's normal to have some oil get past the seals and as long as the shocks are working normally, I'd ignore it :) 

1 hour ago, langers2k said:

I've had it pop up as an advisory but not following year despite the same shocking being fitted.

It's normal to have some oil get past the seals and as long as the shocks are working normally, I'd ignore it :) 

Same here, on my previous car I had this advisory on two MOTs, then on the next year at the same garage no advisory - but a different person did the MOT test. Go figure...

My mates a mot tester and he says misting on shocks is normal and nothing to worry about but he has to list it as a advisory if there.

His advice is leave well alone don't waste money they normally last years after being noticed. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately the only way to properly test them is to remove them. A gas pressure shock should automatically extend to it's full length when under no tension from the top mount/spring. I recently replaced the fronts on my mk1 as the car felt spongy, needless to say the shocks looked perfect, with just a light coating on the rod, but when compressed, they stayed there and didn't extend.

MOT tester is probably just covering his own back by advising them,

• 3 years later...
On 26/10/2017 at 23:12, TechieAli said:

Perfectly normal to have a light misting.

Rather pleased to read all these posts.  Just had my 2017 Octavia MOTd and Inspection service.  Got a red warning that I need an Aircon service (£99) and an Amber warning that shocks are leaking. (£511) The car is 2017 Auto Octavia, with 27,500 on the clock.  Tyres are only down to 4 since new and brake pads are only 40% worn.  So I rang to find out what it meant and how could it be on this car.  Never known it before on any car.  OK I have a misting, not a leak!!  Is this a money making exercise?

Edited by freeb1rd
  • Haha 1

Aircon service is recommended every 2 years as the gas will gradually leak out the system. I had an independent mobile chap that comes to my house at my convenience and charged £75. 

I have no prior knowledge of it being done on my 2016 car at 70k miles and it was 50% down on gas but still working fine.

It's worth doing from time time as they vacuum out the system to remove moisture and replenish lubrication oil needed for the pump. Probably worth doing at some point soon to keep it good for the future IMO. A/C Pumps are very costly to replace. 

Two of my MOTs prior to me buying my car show misting of shocks, still passed last MOT @ 69 k miles and very common to be noted on our cars but nothing to be concerned about at all. My last Vw group car did 188000 miles and never had new front shocks. 😀 Still drove alright. 

Just my two pennies worth.