2.0 140bhp bss engine code, oil pump things to look out for ?

OK been seeing people saying about the oil pump failure on the bss engines well I checked yesterday and my engine code is the dreaded bss code , is there a replacement pump that can be put on that is more reliable, what are the signs to look out for ? Car currently has 127k full service history and runs like new all help appricated folks thank you .

It is not the pump itself that fails but the hex drive key/shaft that does. It rounds off as it is too short and soft. I believe that if the change has been done by a dealer then it would be on the cars record.

The HEX drive failed in ours at 99,600 miles. The unit was replaced with a modified type with a solid shaft. SUK paid for all parts and I paid a very reduced fee for labour. The car has now completed 121k. We also spent a fortune fixing the water ingress, which  fortunately was discovered quickly so there are zero issues, its water tight, everything works and the car is perfect and we love it and as its utterly worthless, we're just keeping it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Oil warning lamp illuminated briefly on Sunday whilst driving sedately at 50 checked and replenished oil (level had dropped significantly since last checked at the beginning of the month).  No further indications seen.  'Nora' ( 140, 2.0 TDI) went for periodic service yesterday at 99000 miles, service completed and oil light illuminated.  Suspect the dreaded oil pump failure has come home to roost.  Any advice on engagement with SKODA UK re known design issue now affecting FSH loved car that has had new coils, tyres and cat in last 12 months as was otherwise a loved and cherished member of the family?

I think that at over 8 years old and almost 100,000 miles, in the inimitable words of Boris Johnson you will probably be told to "go whistle"...

SKODA will still deny this is any sort of design issue I am sure, and I'm not sure you'll have any real joy.  Unless that is you bought it relatively recently and can take it up with the supplying dealer.

Jimbo,

I decided to bite the bullet and 'Nora' has gone - to be replaced by a 2014 2.0 170 CR L&K DSG 4x4 estate.  Now comes the process of setting up to suit and learning all the initials!  'Nora' was 11 years old in vg condition otherwise and for someone able to invest labour in swapping out the oil pump (and maybe but not definitely the turbo?) could yet be in service for many years more - just not with us.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...