Parking lights?

alidaf

I've had a Kodiaq Edition since September and noticed that one of what I think are parking lights (Immediately below the main light cluster) is off when driving but comes on when the coming home mode is activated after parking. The driver's side one seems to work fine.

I've been through the manual but can't figure out if I've accidentally activated a setting somewhere. I can't find a diagram that actually specifies what the function each light is (there are many), but from browsing the internet, I'm assuming that they are the parking lights but I could well be totally wrong.

Is your wheel turned when you stop? If it's a fog light it could be that the cornering element of the fog lights remains active when they switch to coming home - hence the side to which you turned will be on....

I'm guessing a bit here - but I'd claim it was an informed guess... :blink:

Edited by CheshireBumpkin

'Parking lights' are one front sidelight (positioning light) and one rear sidelight on when the ignition is off, 

ie for parking where there is no street lighting in the UK. 

(Put the indicator down to the right or left to activate parking lights, but remember if you leave them on through the dark of a winter night the car might not start in the morning.)

Owners manual is worth a read.

Handbooks may change, but in the version I recently downloaded from the skoda.co.uk website, the arrangement of front lights is shown on page 312.

The parking lights (also known as sidelights) are set within the main beam light (headlamp units nearest the centre of the car).

The units lying separately, below the main lighting units, are the foglights.

Try turning your lights on and having a look, at the various combinations of switch position, beam high/low and ignition on/off.

As others have said, you can get a one-sided effect by turning on the parking lights to one side (ignition off) or by having one front foglight come on as a cornering light, because the front wheels are turned (ignition on).

The Sidelights might be used to make 'Parking Lights' with one on at one side, but that does not mean they are known as Sidelights.

'Parking Lights' are something that is in the Construction & Use and the UK Highway Code.

(Like when Fog Lights should be used, ie reduced visibility, 'Fog'.

Cornering Fogs use Fog Lights, and might even come on automatically when you select reverse and go on and off at one side and help when Parking, 

but that still does not make them 

Fog Lights or Parking lights.  

So much gets lost in Translation from German, Czech, Spanish to English or American English.

32 minutes ago, Headinawayoffski said:

The Sidelights might be used to make 'Parking Lights' with one on at one side, but that does not mean they are known as Sidelights.

Eh?  So ... you're telling me the sidelights are not known as sidelights?

My comment was because, when you read page 312 you see that Skoda call 'em parking lights and, elsewhere, sidelights.

I think we're getting lost in the differences between lamps and lights, though, here.  The LAMPS fitted into the front of a Kodiaq (and many other modern cars) that give low-output white light are traditionally known as sidelights (though technically the sideLIGHT is the illumination that you see when the LAMP is on).  If you were driving along at 60 mph and put your lights on, but not the headlights, then it would be fair to say you'd got your sidelights on.  You could hardly be said to be parked.

When the exact same lamp is used for parking at night, what you see is the parking light.  Available either on both sides, or only one side.

No sidelights are Sidelights.  (Mk2 Fabia vRS use the DRL Unit dimmed as Sidelights, and one on as Parking Lights.)

Simple,

Sidelights, Rear tail Lights, Brake Lights (Not the High Level one), Rear Reflectors & Front Fog Lights work as 'Matching Pairs'.

A Cornering Fog Light is an Auxiliary light, not on in Fog as a Single light, 'Fog Lights operate as Pairs, even though some got away with 3 on front of vehicles. 

Front Fog lights are not tested in a UK MOT, & are not a legal requirement, as Driving or Spot Lights are not tested at UK MOT's.

Parking Lights are on when the ignition and sidelight switch off with the indicator stalk down.   One Sidelight to front, one to rear, 

and maybe one or 2 number plate light bulbs lit.

Translation issues, and Sidelight UK never called Position Lights, Marker Lights etc.

Then  the,

Out Dated UK / Highway code and permitted to drive with Sidelights in Street Light areas with Restricted Speed Limit, ie 30mph.

That is Sidelights, not 'Parking Lights'.

Waiting and parking (238 to 252) - The Highway Code - Guidance - GOV.UK.mhtml

Lighting requirements (113 to 116) - The Highway Code.mhtml

Edited by Headinawayoffski

Wow, we're in a mess here.  "No sidelights are Sidelights ".  (No biscuits are Biscuits, unless they are placed at the beginning of a sentence?)

Let's be clear:  there are motorists who don't actually have a Skoda Kodiaq.  For that, fairly robust, reason, the law is written to allow sidelights and parking lights to be in different places.  On my current Superb, and on Kodiaqs from what it says in the manual, the lamp which normally lights as a sidelight can also light as a parking light.  My earlier comments were in response to the OP who was asking about which bits of his Kodiaq should be lit up, when.

However ... on my 1951 car, as is typical of older cars, the sidelights (possibly the Sidelights, but I don't understand the difference) are at the corners of the vehicle.  The parking light, however, is an add-on accessory and hangs from the driver's window, with the one bulb showing white light to the front and red to the rear.  When following the law on the use of parking lights, I am fully legal to use the accessory.   When following the law on the use of lights for driving, I will need to turn on the sidelights and/or headlights.  Turning on the parking lamp, even one of them on each side, wouldn't do. 

You know what Sidelights are and they are required by law, you know what Head Lights are, you know what Fog Lights are,

You know what DRL's are.

Some have multi purpose, Sidelights can then Operate as a Parking Light,  Fog Lights or Headlights can be Cornering Lights, 

DRL Units can Dim and are no longer DRLS,  but Sidelights, or a Parking Light.

But Sidelights, Headlights, Tail Lights and Brake Lights, Indicators and Rear Reflectors, at least 1 rear fog and 1 rear reverse light is required in the UK.

DRLs fitted as standard since Type Approval Feb 2011, but not required to work or tested.

Not complicated now is it.  Not even for a Kodiaq.

PS

I still have the Sidelights with white and red that i put on the window of my Anglia & Morris Minor.

Just because times move on and there are modern cars and manufacturers with other first languages that are not English, 

the Sidelight is still a Sidelight in the UK.

Even when in with the Head Light and invisible when Dipped or Gull Beam might be on.

Edited by Headinawayoffski

As I said in post 2 in this thread, the lights immediately below the main cluster on the Kodiaq Edition with LED headlights are the Front Fog Lights.

They are used, along with the dipped beam, for Leaving Home/Coming Home Lights, and as cornering lights. I haven't tried to see if they are also used for the parking light function.

If the OP has only one of them lighting up then it is easy to check - manually turn the headlights to dipped beam and pull the switch outwards one position to turn on the front fogs, if only one is lighting up then you have a fault. If both light up then the only other condition I can think of where only one side will illuminate is as a cornering light (assuming they aren't used for the parking light function).

Any faults with the lights should flag an error or warning on the dash.

If only one front fog light is lit then it is highly likely to be the cornering fog lights in operation.

All Kodiaq LED headlight functions can be viewed here, including the cornering fog lights...

Edited by silver1011

It is the cornering light function. It didn't make sense because they are cornering fog lights, but I've not turned the fog lights on. I noticed that one light was active when the missus was turning into the drive, which now makes sense. Re-reading the manual does explain the function and they do activate if the fog lights are off.

That video explained a lot but thanks to all of the replies. 

Just for reference, they aren't cornering fog lights, they are cornering lights. It just so happens that the fog lights are used as they provide a low down wide beam to illuminate kerbs. Some manufacturers use a dedicated bulb for it, but VAG use the front fogs.

Confused.

If they are fog lights that double up as cornering lights then they are cornering fog lights surely?

Skoda call them cornering fog lights on the Kodiaq configurator.

Lost in Translation.  Lost in Technology, and different Countries and Nations driving,

like a car with 'Auto Hold' shining Brake Lights while stationery.

Fog lights used for Cornering light function.   Like DRL's used as Sidelights or Parking lights, only they do so at less intensity.

Very wrong to shine a single 'Fog' light at other road users when Visibility not less than 100 meters.

Actually wrong at say Road works and stopped with Side & Headlight on and turn the steering wheel and dazzle drivers coming towards you,  or even cyclists etc, 

Then again selecting reverse and automatically shining 'Fog Lights' at other road users.

One of these EU Construction and use and also drivers errors, allows the vehicle to just cause what was the breaking of UK laws, 

or Highway Code Guidence.

20 hours ago, silver1011 said:

Confused.

If they are fog lights that double up as cornering lights then they are cornering fog lights surely?

Skoda call them cornering fog lights on the Kodiaq configurator.

Any bulb could provide the cornering light function, VAG have chosen to use the front fogs. They aren't cornering fog lights though, they are fog lights that are used for the cornering light function.

Language & use of language, or poor use of and descriptions.

Fog but no fog equals lights.

Daylight or Daytime Running lights but not Daytime or Daylight if Night time and at less intensity.

Brake lights in UK English,  Stop Lights in US English.

Indicators or turn signals.

Hand Brake, Parking Brake or Emergency Brake.

2 hours ago, silver1011 said:

We'll have to agree to disagree :D

Same light, same bulb, same housing, two functions; cornering lights & fog lights = cornering fog lights.

Capture.JPG.694f6d0493853aa730389b298481439a.JPG

Or as the Kodiaq manual says, fog lights with CORNER function.

Just poor translation!

A well known Skoda weakness, translations of manuals into English.

Most manufacturers these days have dipped headlights that turn with the car, some have fog lights with two bulbs, one for the fog light function, the other for the cornering light (Kia Sportage comes to mind), some simply turn on the existing fog light.

'Fog lights with corner function' makes it sound more than it actually is, all they've done is added some coding to turn on a fog light in an effort to claim the car has cornering lights. I guess they are but they are cornering fog lights.