Poor fuel economy 2017 1.2 TSi DSG

greenstripe

3 minutes ago, Expatman said:

Okay most mornings I drive to get the paper, 3.5 miles there and 3.5 miles back. Since I got the car new at the end of March 2017 the temp gauge has indicated 90 (dead centre) by the time I get to the paper shop and stop/start is working. Three minute stop for papers and then drive back and almost invariably the maxi dot is showing about 50MPG "average" by the time I get back. Okay the drive is flat and  on country roads and I would rarely get to over 50MPH but it is hardly a long distance drive!

In comparison the temp gauge on my previous 2012 DSG Yeti would have hardly moved off cold by the time I got to the paper shop and barely have got to 90 by the time I got home. Maxidot was just over 40 at best.

I am at a loss to understand why some drivers are getting low 30's? 

Is it the "Yorkshire" factor? :biggrin:

Edited by bigjohn

Yorkshire where some hills are steep short climbs where the car is supposedly drinking lots of fuel, and where descents are long and not so steep and much fuel saving is indicated or even acheived.

The people coming from the other direction climb longer less steep and still use fuel, and then have shorter steeper descents saving fuel maybe but over a shorter distance.

The 'Yorkshire Factor', look at what fuel is used not what the car indicates it is using, 

remember and reset the maxidot, and remember that sometimes Yorkshire road surfaces and weather are different from say Somerset where there are hills, or Norfolk.

Edited by Headinawayoffski

18 minutes ago, Expatman said:

You are going to have to explain that one to a Cornishman living in Yorkshire! 

I was thinking "economical" driving style - In Yorkshire we have deep pockets and short arms

Okay - I live in the Vale of York so my morning drive for the papers is flat both ways, most of my usual drives are within 30 miles of home so a lot of it is flattish. Cornwall is very different with it's ups and downs as are other parts of Yorkshire which do have more steeper hills. 

I keep a record of mileage and when I visited Cornwall in September my MPG was between 41 and 44 - and that includes a fast trip down M1, M42,  crawl down M5 and then wriggly roads to destination.

Incidentally it's not only Yorkshire folk who have deep pockets and long arms - friends from Scotland have the same and Cornish have a similar build!

Edited by Expatman

In Scotland you drive gradually uphill going south to the Borders and then it is all down hill to the South Coast where fuel is more expensive and much else as well.

Going back North with the expensive fuel and polluted air you somehow get surprisingly good economy drafting behind those HGV's that seem to clog the roads going North but not when going South.

Edited by Headinawayoffski

Its more likely the wind direction. I typically get 5mpg less travelling South from Yorkshire to the Coventry area than I do on the return journey, as the prevailing wind is from the SW.

In my previous Greenline, I could see over 70mpg av on the maxidot driving back home if there was a brisk tailwind, and a lot of 50-60mph stuff due to traffic and average speed roadwork sections. Driving into the wind at the same typical speeds would be below 50mpg.

Its interesting watching the av consumption in my car on the maxidot. It is very low at the start of a journey and can take me 25+ miles before it is reasonable. Short trips must really kill the fuel consumption. Petrol seems to be much worse than diesel for this. My wifes 1.4 petrol fabia some years ago struggled to average upper 20's in mpg, maybe 35 on a very long run; swapped it for a diesel fabia and for same use with lots of short journeys never went below 50mpg. I could get 65+ on a long run.

Thats why I can't understand the rush back to petrol when this is no cleaner than a euro 6 diesel, indeed probably worse as more fuel is used to travel the same distance.

MY Greenline maxidot long term average was always around 57mpg

5 hours ago, kenfowler3966 said:

Thats why I can't understand the rush back to petrol when this is no cleaner than a euro 6 diesel, indeed probably worse as more fuel is used to travel the same distance.

Well, the reason for my 'rush' back to a petrol car (after 10 years with 3 diesels) was not so much to do with which is cleaner, but which is more reliable. I felt I was under the 'sword of damacles',  with the potential of a failing EGR, DPF or DMF and the horendous repair bills that they would incurr. I did in fact suffer 2 failed EGRs, and I had one replaced under warranty, and the other I replaced myself. 

Unfortunately, I feel the increasingly complex emission control systems are only making the reliabilty of diesels worse. Of course petrol engines are also becoming more complex, and time will tell if I made right choice.....

• Like 1

It's important for everyone to make the choice that is right for them isn't it. For me a change from diesel to petrol was a 'no brainer' - all short journeys and being aware that every time I got the car out of the garage it was going into a regen.

• Like 1

Why push your luck and give a nudge to those pondering their longer term future?.

Now they can easily find a reasonable explanation for moving.   Jobs/employment can’t be assumed these days.

Edited by Ryeman

On 12/10/2017 at 09:54, gman88667733 said:

I do not have a heavy right foot. I do mostly very short journeys though (6-7 miles)

The 1.2/105 in my old Toledo was only just getting the oil warm (not the water) in 6 miles, and at that point on my commute the mpg average was low 30's - by the end of the 25 mile trip it was averaging 45-50 mpg.

Also, in my last 4 years of driving them I found these small turbos need a very gentle driving technique to get good mpg.

I love driving DSG but I don't think I'd want to own one - It seems to be a lottery.

Edited by camelspyyder
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, gman88667733 said:

I agree with your statement about it being a lottery. Sometimes I love mine, sometimes I hate it. 

It has now started changing up to 5th at 25mph on downhill/flat roads on very light throttle. Ugh!

That’s the ‘programme’ that gets the unrealistic emissions figures.

9 hours ago, Ryeman said:

That’s the ‘programme’ that gets the unrealistic emissions figures.

Most of the time, I hate it. It doesn't feel like the 2010 dsg model I tried about 5 months ago when I was deiciding which Yeti to get.

Edited by gman88667733

Do you intend having the DSG checked out under warranty to see that the 'replacement' Mechatronic Control Unit, the Clutch Packs and the revised Software is all operating as they should do, and that the engine is, Spark Plugs, Coils etc?

It should not be hit or miss, and within 5 miles your coolant temp should be at 90*oC or so, 

and the oil above 50*oc, heading to 80*oC plus even in the coldest UK winter weather.

I hope 'They' are the Master Technician, and maybe the Dealer Principal gives you their perk, 'Best Demonstrator' in the Dealership for a few days and takes your car to drive around in.

Then you tend to get a proper response rather than ' They all drive like that',  The Engineers wanted them performing in a rubbish way!

21 minutes ago, Headinawayoffski said:

I hope 'They' are the Master Technician, and maybe the Dealer Principal gives you their perk, 'Best Demonstrator' in the Dealership for a few days and takes your car to drive around in.

Then you tend to get a proper response rather than ' They all drive like that',  The Engineers wanted them performing in a rubbish way!

I am taking it to a different dealer than the one I got it from, just because they've already said it was fine.

1 hour Diagnosis might well be £85 plus VAT and if no fault you will likely have to pay.

Best ask the Service Desk where it is going to before putting it there.

If there is a fault and covered by the Warranty that covers the DSG and the parts replaced while the original warranty applies, ie 3 years, 

then the diagnosis should not be costing you anything, or the repair once the Warranty Provider approves the repair, ie Skoda UK.

Well, I've been told to drop the car off tomorrow and they'll look at it on Wednesday, so we will see.

Is it worth leaving a note in the car with the exact issues I am having, so the technician knows what to look out for?

The person at the Service Desk taking your keys and getting your signature approving them doing a diagnosis and you paying should be writing down what the issues are, and getting the Workshop Manager or Master Tech through to talk with you, that way you know rather than a note in the car.

Maybe write it down though and hand that across as well.