Cigarette Lighter removal from hell

Hi,

Firstly I would like to congratulate VAG for installing a cigarette lighter that requires a tool that resembles a bearing puller to remove. Who invents this stuff, NASA?

Right, got that off my chest. Now I am trying to separate the cigarette lighter from its plastic surround to remove it from the rear console. There are two tabs I am pushing with a small screwdriver, but the parts are not separating. Does anyone have any other hints before I give up and have a beer?

Thanks.

Blow torch

It WILL work - but you will need a new console

Seriously, I would look at removing the console and looking behind it to see why its not coming out. Should be far easier all round

Edited by S00perb
  • Like 1

Wow - that tool looks like a piece of work. I've replaced a fair few console buttons and dials in my time but not a lighter. I assumed it would be similiar.  Never would have guessed you'd need some German bondage nipple clamp to get it done.....  :sweat:

$_35.JPG

$_35.JPG

• Haha 1

On 10/15/2017 at 23:38, LightRain said:

I noticed this thread yesterday, I'd imagine these are similar although knowing VAG, probably not.

Thanks for that, it was my inspiration to get started. A screwdriver doesn't give me enough leverage on the tabs inside. 

I will try again another day, but in the meantime I will email the local VAG dealer and see if they have the tool in the service department and what their minimum labour charge is....