Buying from Motorpoint - Advice

Hi folks,

Going at the end of this week to buy:

A 66 plate Skoda Superb L & K 2.0 150BHP Diesel DSG Quartz Grey. It has about 7800 miles and has an asking price of £19,799. It is not an import. It was registered on the 31st October 2016. SHould I expect it to have a service given that the 1st year is almost up? Any advice or things to look out for? I will be paying cash - no finance.

Also, they say the car comes with the remaining 24 months Skoda warranty. How do I register this? Or do I even need to register it?

Any must buys for the car or must avoids?

Thank you :)

You need to check if it is on Fixed Servicing because if so the Service will be due, and needs doing, 

but even if on Variable you best have it serviced at 12 months, 10,000 miles or less.

Check with Skoda UK Customer Services what Warranty Work if any it has had.

http://skoda.co.uk/about-us/contact-us 

The Warranty was registered when the car was first registered and it is with the vehicle now, 

just be sure the remainder is up til the first MOT.

Do you know who it was first registered to, it is important that you have asked, get the reply in writing or look at the V5 they have.

It can have been a Hire Companies Car for the past 11 months even if owned by VW Finance, so ask the question of the Sales Executive.

Also just ask if they know if the vehicle has been involved in any accidents, and needed repairs, and have them answer that in writing.

Edited by Headinawayoffski
  • Like 2

I just asked the following questions-

1.      Is the car on a Fixed Servicing plan? That would mean it is due a service this month as it is 1 year old. (Skoda states either 10,000 miles or 1 year - whichever is first).

2.      Has the car been serviced yet (either by the previous owner or yourselves etc)?

3.      Who was the previous registered keeper of the car?

4.      Has it been involved in any accidents etc or needed any repairs?

5.      Does it have any modifications I would need to let my insurance company know about?

Does that cover the main things? I already know it isn't imported etc as I did a full vehicle car check for my own peace of mind.

Thank you

Answers (They are quick!).

We will do the first service for you once the car arrives to store.
Previous keeper was a company called Alphabet GB Ltd so you will be the 2nd keeper, feel free to google them if you want more details
No accidents, we will give you a copy of a HPI report to confirm that on the day.
No modifications that I’m aware of.

Motorpoint charges a £99 'admin fee' which they said covers HPI check (which I can do), valet,  but they also say it covers a car service (if required). I have heard you can refuse to pay it and they have to take it off as it is 'optional'. However, would it be worth paying if they do a service on the car?

99 quid,  ask what the check they already did cost,  a copy of that will do you.   £3 at most will be enough for that.    Service per manufacturers schedule guidelines,  if a main dealer will do a minor service for £130 get that,  then software updates,  body inspection for the warranty will be done and on the system.  Remember cash purchase or not,  if faulty just return for full refund,  sooner not later.  Best have the skoda main dealer service in your case.  

36 minutes ago, neonplanet40 said:

Alphabet GB Ltd

They provide rent and lease cars to companies.  Sold a 1 year old car with only 7800 miles on the clock?

I wouldn't worry. I had a 1 year old car ex-AVIS with similar mileage and it was fine. Kept it 8 years.

Buying from Motorpoint is supposed to be easy. My daughter spent 2 hours there a few months ago, drove home in a lovely near new car, happy as can be.

Edited by camelspyyder
  • Like 1

Hi nice car we have a couple of MK3's at work really nice....but I would say have the proper service done by Skoda, as this is a valuable car then you need to preserve the service history, added bonus as stated by 'Headinawayoffski'  you get all the software updates and added piece of mind should anything go wrong.

I just check the Skoda website and in my closest garage, their first available slot is the 1st November for an interim service. Given that the car was registered on the 31st October, this would fall outside the year warranty and cause my warranty to be invalid.

It is not a year, it is 372 days, 1 year and 1 week on Fixed servicing or mileage, 9,400 miles.

& that is Service Schedule / Guidelines, & since the car could have been on Variable Servicing since it left the factory with Long Life Oil, 

& set at Variable and only changed to Fixed if it was at the PDI, or by instruction by Alphabet GB LTD, there is no need to have the Oil / Filter change done within the 12 months, 

you will not void the warranty.

Yes i meant get a Main Dealer Service, so that a Body Check is noted for the Paint / Corrosion Warranty. 

& any Software / Update enhancements are carried out.

Buying should be and is easy, and you have done all you can for due diligence.

Many Fleet Providers have the Special Deals from Manufacturers (VW Group) just to get First Registration and Sales in a Quarter / Year and then the cars on the 2nd hand market and more sales, just as Demonstrators, Hire Company Cars etc.

VW Spokesperson, says, 'Diesel Sales not affected',   True, because VW Group give cheap finance or sell vehicles cheap to be rented out,.

Note they are not back as a Skoda Approved Used Car, VW Approved, Audi Approved etc, Just back 'In Trade', 

punted at Auction /BCA, out to Car Supermarkets, 

Good cars, Pyramid Selling by Manufacturers, as the Car Trade has always been.

Have fun with it.

Edited by Headinawayoffski
  • Like 1

Well, picked up my car yesterday. Very happy with it so far. I have booked it into a Skoda garage on the 23rd for its first service. Despite it being on a variable service plan, 1 year seems a good time for a checkup.

The Sat-nav system is out of date, do they update this? Anything else been updated that I will notice improvements from?

Few things I have noticed so far that I want to ask about:

1)      In the picture, if you look at the headlight, there is some condensation on the inside. I am assuming this isn’t normal? I may ask the garage to look at it. The other one is the same also.

2)      Is it normal for the fan to stay on around the engine when I switch off? I was driving the car (not fast) for 30 minutes. Got home and it stayed on for a while (not sure how long) it was quite loud though and there was a smell (fumes I guess) from it.

Tyres on the car are Continental Contisport 5. Happy enough with them so far.

I will need some mats and a spare tyre or space-saver. Any recommendations?

Anything else I should know?! :P

Thank you.

uc?export=download&id=1oLrxv0XoUkYKiBqE2

• Like 2

3 hours ago, neonplanet40 said:

The Sat-nav system is out of date, do they update this? Anything else been updated that I will notice improvements from? This can be done yourself, do a search on here it’s covered several times

Few things I have noticed so far that I want to ask about:

1)      In the picture, if you look at the headlight, there is some condensation on the inside. I am assuming this isn’t normal? I may ask the garage to look at it. The other one is the same also. Normal... but worth bringing to the attention of the dealer, just don’t expect them to do anything

2)      Is it normal for the fan to stay on around the engine when I switch off? I was driving the car (not fast) for 30 minutes. Got home and it stayed on for a while (not sure how long) it was quite loud though and there was a smell (fumes I guess) from it. Yes the car is doing a ‘regen'

• Administrators

Looks lovely. Good luck with it.

For the issues./ / advice on the car now, it's best if you start a new topic... so as to not derail this from the title. Also a new title, attracts the right reader to respond... e.g. a tyre guru. No problem starting a topic for each of those issues after a search or two.

I do like that blue, I know it's grey... it looks blue to me :D ( New screen )

• Like 1

In terms of sat Nav out of date , unfortunately all the manufacturers charge for updated SD nav cards , you can get cheaper copies but be aware they are all bootlegs. Condensation in light fittings , well we live in the UK and damp is a fact of life , my last three vehicles , VW Passat , Nissan Duke , Ford Fiesta , all new all suffered from condensation inside the lights , the units are not hermetically sealed and in our climate it can be a problem , just check there is no residual water in fittings as this shouldn't happen.

Cars get jet washed to within an inch of their life when living on a dealers forecourt, condensation in the lights is therefore expected, it should clear with time.

See here for an explanation on the engine cooling fans running after the engine is switched off (DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) regeneration)...

2 hours ago, StuartAK said:

In terms of sat Nav out of date , unfortunately all the manufacturers charge for updated SD nav cards , you can get cheaper copies but be aware they are all bootlegs. 

I think it's an L&K and will therefore have the Columbus with maps loaded directly onto the hard drive. As someone has referenced earlier in the post, you can update it yourself using Skoda's official update portal.

On 18/10/2017 at 08:41, IJWS15 said:

IIRC their cars are not taxed so make sure you can get it taxed BEFORE you drive it away.

I wouldn't even drive it to the nearest post office.

Car tax is paid in full months. There is now official support from DVLA of the "14 days grace" that has been spoken about for decades which only become adopted 6 or 7 yrs ago. It is written into legislation.

Therefore, if a part month is cancelled the tax revenue is paid until the end of the month in any case, and if purchased on a new month then the full month is also purchased as well.

The plan of the DVLA when this was incepted was to allow for paperless billing and absence of physical vehicle excise licence discs, which is now a reality.

In short, as long as you get it taxed, no offences are committed.

From the Motorpoint website.

"Due to recent changes in the way vehicles are taxed you will need to obtain your own tax. We will happily provide you with the facilities to do this when you collect your vehicle."

When you sell a car to a dealer it goes into motor trade stock and doesn't need SORN or tax but the moment it is sold (when you sign the delivery note and pay what is due) it becomes liable for RFL. So in reality no car in motor trade stock is taxed anymore; it cant be, in normal circumstances, since the selling owner is required to notify DVLA and any outstanding tax goes back to them automatically.

To tax the vehicle you just go on line (probably on their IT and likely inputted by the salesman) or phone DVLA with the relevant references from the V5/C2 (new keeper details) and pay yer dues! Takes about 5 minutes at most.

Edited by Sagalout

I bought my S3 2.0 150 DSG Exec. a couple of months ago from Motorpoint - very happy:biggrin: It had 12k miles on the clock and was registered in Dec '16. The young lady salesperson allowed me to organise insurance, RFL and cherished plate transfer from her office. The car has a full size spare, but there were no SD cards with it - I 'm still discussing it with them - should there be at least 1 to update the satnav?

I have since had an oil / filter change (standard for me @ 10k miles) but from reading the above I ought to get a small Skoda 1st service in December.

The only things I don't like are the driver's seat belt anchor is too close to the tunnel and the surge when shunting in small spaces - otherwise a quantum leap from my old mk1.....