Memory advice

VWD

I recently made a "new" pc for my daughter out of bits that were lying about and some new parts (case, Gfxb1050 ti - anything else is too expensive) - the cpu is 3rd gen i7 so still reasonable and with 16gb RAM. I stupidly used a 500gb laptop drive as the main drive. The pc was very slow, at boot up ( took ages as well to clear) or during updates Task manager indicated that it was the HD at 100% utilisation while cpu and RAM was less than 5%. 

Yesterday switched on to an ssd - super fast now- HD utilisation now only 5% during boot.

The SSD certainly made a difference. But my first attempt was to partition the SSD into 3- XP/w7 and W10. That caused update problems on W10. Next, I used my 320 HDD as a 300 store for data and a 20 GB XP PARTITION, with a 50/50 split on the SSD for w7/10, and installing W10 ON THE LAST PARTITION. I found that W10 would run anything that W7 would, so I asked myself WHY have W7 & W10. I deleted the XP partition on the320 and partitioned the SSD as  30 GB XP, and the rest ( approx 89GB) FOR w10. XP installed in half an hour with adding the other stuff taking up a little more. W10 was an install of the first W7, add in the programs I wanted moving to W10, then install using the update method. I've now got W10 VERSION 1709( fALL CREATOR VERSION), with none of the old problems I got on W10.

• 2 weeks later...

Today, I found that Maplin has reduced the price of 4GB  xms3 DDR3 .most places average at least £35-£40 for one of these.  Maplin closing down price is  £27.99.

Having recently spent about £150 on 16Gb I'm really pleased :dull:

The rest of the prices online seem to be pretty much what I expected, still dearer than everyone else.

Edited by Aspman

38 minutes ago, Aspman said:

Having recently spent about £150 on 16Gb I'm really pleased :dull:

The rest of the prices online seem to be pretty much what I expected, still dearer than everyone else.

I've just ordered 16GB of PC3-15000 DDR3 memory from Maplin for £101.49

On 27/03/2018 at 10:32, SWBoy said:

I've just ordered 16GB of PC3-15000 DDR3 memory from Maplin for £101.49

Memory arrived today, took less than a minute to fit.

Well pleased with the quicker performance, especially with multiple apps open. Definitely worth the £101.49

Biggest increase I noticed was by fitting a small SSD to run OS'S on .that made the upgrade to W10 1709 very fast. The modest memory increase to 4GB DDR3 1600  Stopped the slight program hang, I'd noticed on occasions. The only discrepancy I've now got is that although RAM shows as 1600 in bios, it's only running at 1333 and any attempt to tweak the speed to 1600 fails.

Edited by VWD