Engine Control Unit Blocked

LJH888

Hello everyone, I haven't visited here in a while, good to see there is still plenty of trusty MK1's about. Can anyone please give me a bit of advice regarding my first ever engine management light ? Due to my departure from the taxi industry and a move 300 miles south west to Newquay my Superb has stood idle on the drive for a couple of months, its always been very well maintained, serviced etc but needed a new battery which I had fitted on the drive yesterday by the RAC, all was well, car started fine, feels fine, pulls like a train, no symptoms at all other than the light on the dash, according  to the RAC guys diagnostics kit it reports "engine control unit blocked".

My car is decatted, egr removed, remapped by a well known guy recommended often on the forums, could anyone please suggest a course of action and tell me if I can still drive it like it is ?

My regular mechanic is obviously now 300 miles away and most people here just have tractors or skateboards, really hoping I don't need to go to a VW dealer....

Many thanks all for reading and any advice.

I'm afraid not, I was looking over the RAC guys shoulder, I didn't see the actual code, just "engine control unit blocked" next to the code.

The RAC chap commented that it was taking an unusually long time to read anything at all.

He turned the light off while my car was running, I went for a drive, the light stayed off, it came back on the next time I restarted the engine.

It starts and drives perfectly.

The ABS light is also on and thats never been on before either, the handbrake engaged indicator is also flashing now even though the handbrake is off.

Edited by LJH888

• 2 months later...

Hi, I have a similar issue being reported on my 52 plate Superb 1.9TDI. My car now won’t start, did you resolve the issue you was having?

Thanks in advance.