Tinted glass retro-fit

Unfortunately my 2014 VRS didn't come with the dark glass option from the b pillar backwards. Has anyone looked into getting the glass replaced by someone like Autoglass with the glass from a tinted model?

The reason I want it is primarily to protect my toddler from the Sun, I know I can use film but I doubt that will last long with kids!

5 minutes ago, SC03OTT said:

Kids won’t be able to rip tints off, unless they regularly play with Stanley blades. 

I wouldn't put it past him :biggrin: 

Yeah I've been reading a little more now, I just remember those flimsy self tint rolls from 20yrs ago, things have moved on!

I had mine done for £130. I went for 5% limo tint in the boot area and 20% on the rear windows. 

The 5% limo tint does take some getting used to. When i had my car tinted, I drove out of the tinting company and it was bright sunshine, looking through the back window it looked as though it was midnight.

20161227_135724.jpg

1508179324129.jpeg

5 minutes ago, AndrewE said:

I had mine done for £130. I went for 5% limo tint in the boot area and 20% on the rear windows. 

The 5% limo tint does take some getting used to. When i had my car tinted, I drove out of the tinting company and it was bright sunshine, looking through the back window it looked as though it was midnight.

Looks good! Are there no legal limits for the rear screen like the front?

Just now, Dave77 said:

Looks good! Are there no legal limits for the rear screen like the front?

No the only legal limits are on the front windows and windscreen. Which I did not touch.

Hi, I considered buying the full sun blind kit from a reputable online Skoda shop, however, went with a Onyx tint by Globaltint and it came out perfect.(not for that “gangster”look, but more in protecting the Youngling retinas from the sun!). Came to £174 and was done in 1 hour! 

Just now, Dezmondo said:

Hi, I considered buying the full sun blind kit from a reputable online Skoda shop, however, went with a Onyx tint by Globaltint and it came out perfect.(not for that “gangster”look, but more in protecting the Youngling retinas from the sun!). Came to £174 and was done in 1 hour! 

Not only the eyes, but your seats won't fade so quick, the car won't heat up so much and anything left in the car is hidden from prying eyes.

Yeah i'm not interested in blinds, had various types on another car and they either fall off or get pulled off!

What %age did you go for? I understand the factory darkened glass is 35%, standard is slightly tinted already, so i'm thinking 45% should be okay. Had a quote for £170 for rear sides and boot.

Edited by Dave77

Limo tint every time.

I had it on several cars. Had to add it to previous Superb as factory “tint” wasn’t enough.

As above, a quality installation will last for ever - provided you don’t scratch it it with loose luggage or knuckle dusters while wiping inside of windows.

I have had limo tint on the rear screen, the boot side windows and the passenger door quarter glass.

The rear passenger windows, they were done in the slightly more see through tint as I have to look back over my shoulder to see if anything is approaching when joining another road at a junction on my way home from work.

The front doors windows were left as is but any window behind the B pillar can be any tint you want, as dark as you like, there is no restrictions. It's even detailed on the gov.uk website.

Iirc mine cost a ton for my Octavia SEL Estate to be done. I left it with the guy and went into town while he cracked on.

Over 12 months in and no shrinking, rips, tears, bubbles (only miniscule ones if you really look hard) the only regret I have had so far from time to time is I often think that I should have had all the same and not gone for the more see through on the rear passenger windows. I might get a price for him to remove and replace them soon ;)

On 2017-10-16 at 21:13, vtec to vrs! said:

Get it done by a reputable tinting company and it’ll last for years!

I agree. My 3 last cars have had tinted rear windows, film done by the dealer as part of the delivery (paid extra of course, but anyway). I have not had any problems with the film coming loose etc. The car stays nicely cool inside even during summer - as long as you remember to park with the rear towards the sun. 

This is something I can definitely recommend, no need to swap glass.

With aftermarket tints, do the heating lines of the rear window become more noticeable? A few cars I've seen with aftermarket tints make the heating lines really stand out against the tints. Not sure if this is just with cheap tints etc. but never noticed them on factory fitted privacy glass.