Falling out of love with ECO Mode

BoxerBoy

I've given ECO mode a fair chance for 6 months, but now I'm just tired of the lethargic way it picks up after slowing down, so I'm using Drive as the default now.

A flick of the lever (Sport) continues to provide a bit more zip at those roundabouts and junctions that warrant it.

The other flick of the lever gives me manual when I really want to hold a gear, especially on big roundabouts and slip roads.

All over-ridden by the paddles of course many times a day.

I know ECO can return 10% (ish) better fuel economy, but it comes at a price.

Today I had a double 52 mile "taxi" trip so I used D for lap 1 and dash read 37 mpg.

Lap 2 in ECO read 40 mpg.

One member on the other Kodiaq forum compared eco mode with normal mode and found no significant difference in economy. I've kept mine in normal mode since the start, and am getting 40.2mpg on my 1.4L 150 Petrol which isn't bad at all. Don't see much point in saving pennies after spending £30K+ on the Kodiaq.

Edited by bigboss

These mode selections are IMO a waste of time. If I want economy, I won’t plant my foot to the floor.  If I want speed, I will. Until the modes unlock/restrict engine power, lower suspension or something of actual benefit I can live without. 

23 hours ago, andyvee said:

With the Adaptive Suspension there is logic to having a Sport/Normal/Comfort mode

That's different to the eco / normal / sport mode which changes the settings of control units. This will, for example, change the behaviour of the engine, automatic transmission and power steering.

The different modes in adaptive chassis control would change the suspension.

Edited by bigboss

1 hour ago, andyvee said:

Wrong, the driving mode selection also changes the suspension, as well as the steering, throttle response, air con and AFS.

No, that would depend on whether you have adaptive chassis control in your car or not. If not, it won't control the suspension.

3 minutes ago, andyvee said:

And as per my post that you quoted

With the adaptive suspension ........

That you disagreed with and have now agreed with????????????????

Where did I disagree? I merely said there were 2 types on normal / sport modes. I only elaborated on your post.

Edited by bigboss

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, 

I don't have enough miles on the counter to come to a final conclusion, but it seems that the eco mode is the only way to benefit from the coasting function. 

To me, under certain circumstances, it can really make a difference on the mpg:

• If you drive frequently on long moderate downhill slopes 
  • Not too much traffic 
  • You must actively take the benefit of it by lifting your foot from the gas pedal much earlier than usual (if you brake, you will re-engage the engine, but if you touch and leave the gas pedal, the coasting will resume) 
  • You must (and that is a pity) not use the ACC, because it never takes advantage of the coasting mode 

The way I'm trying to use it for the time being is that I deactivate the ACC when going downhill in order to benefit from the coasting. 

I agree that it is far from being the way it should go... But it keeps me alert and it's a kind of game. 

Today's trip gave excellent results for a new diesel engine  : 155km; avg speed 80km/h; 6.2l/100 km or 47 mpg (sorry for the continental units), lights,  heating seat and wheel on. 

Annoyance : eco mode is lost when switching off and back on the engine (while still indicated eco on the main screen, it is actually deselected... Looks like a bug). 

14 hours ago, ZacDaMan72 said:

In any driving mode you can make the car coast by holding the UP paddle on the steering wheel if yours has the paddles.

No, that doesn't work on my Kodiaq.

Holding the UP paddle switches back to automatic mode after a manual correction, without having to wait for 30 seconds.

Our new one has just 300miles on the clock achieved well over 45mpg over a weekend trip to Wales with it mostly in Normal and the odd flick to sport mode (150ps diesel DSG). mixed motorway and fast A-roads. since the first fill up it achieved 39mpg which is with 6 miles to and from work for the wife. For such a new engine which will be as tight as a drum I'm pleasantly surprised. Her Kuga AWD only achieved 38-39 over the same journey with 22000 on the clock. 

I've always found ECO mode hard work (same on my Merc) it just affects the urgency too much for me