Cold diesel engine rattle

BoxerBoy

Now the mornings are getting cooler I'm noticing the cold start rattle is more obvious.

As the engine warms up there is a very distinct rattle that was called "Pinking" in the old days on petrol engines.

This is on a 190 diesel.

Happens under gentle acceleration then quietens down when you lift off the throttle and disappears when engine is hot.

Anyone else suffering cold diesel rattle?

Anything can burn oil while the majority might never.

(My 11 month old 150ps TDI is using 1 litre every 5,000 miles, but not using much Ad-Blue strangely, sounds quite good for a diesel, on start up and under acceleration.)

I was interested if the OP's had, and was the level at delivery the same level now, and after how many miles.

Edited by Headinawayoffski

Cold morning will be more a feature as winter rolls in,

noisy rattly diesels are very much the norm which is why many would not have one, 

or want their neighbours to have them.

Hi Guys have owned Diesels since 1982 and a Friend told that there not Petrol

and to get out  that Mindset. Retired Road Train Driver.

Diesels need to Warmup for Min 3/5 minutes a while before Driving off.

1982 Toyota Hilux 300,000 KM. , Land rover TD5 Discovery 2.5 Litre Auto 385000 KM.

Current Skoda Yeti 2.0 Litre auto amazed me 725KM/ 55 Litres refill then I released

I had 58,000 KM on the  Clock, after 50,000 km they just kept ed getting better.

Edited by Gobmax

^^^ 

How much heat do you get into a Euro 6 Emission TDI in 3-5 minutes sitting at around 6*oC to -6*oC ?

The coolant might get warmer, the Oil temp will not be rising much with 5w 30 FS LL,

you might get the windows defrosting but the clatter will still be there if you have a clattery diesel.

I used to get a tapping noise in my 1.9dci 2001 reg megane, changed to better oil suited better to cooler temp and that cured the problem. Diesels are a bit noisier though so probably nothing to worry about.

I can’t say that I have noticed diesel ‘clatter’ or rattle with my now two year old 190 S3 Combi.  I certainly wouldn’t be having it idling for 3 mins before pulling away as that just encourages DPF issues - as well as wasting expensive fuel.

Compared to the engines I had in diesel cars since the 1980’s I would say the EA288 unit is very quiet.  And it is quieter than the other diesel cars in the car park at going home time.  Some of the major brands (Ford/Vauxhall/Peugeot/Renault) are truly noisy!

I have 30K miles on mine now and it doesn’t use any oil between services (~18k intervals).

Location location location. 

I can be sitting with the engine idling for 3 minutes 50 feet from starting off if there is traffic and can not get out the side street onto the main road.

Stop / start not functioning because the temp is low, or the heating setting difference from the ambient and interior temp too much or battery demand from lights / rear screen, heated mirrors, radio etc too high. 

How the Stop / Start is even in big vehicles and even worse were small ones get cheapo batteries. ie Fabia / Polo / Ibiza.

If fuel consumption of an idling diesel is a financial consideration then time to cycle or walk maybe.  Or lease / buy cheaper cars.

• 4 weeks later...

On my new MY18 Superb 150 TDI I used to have exactly the pinking you describe BoxerBoy.  From cold, under light load quite a severe rattly, diesel sound that disappeared after 15min or so once things have warmed up.

Mine only did it for the first 1,700 miles.  Even with the colder weather it's not returned and the engine's loosening up and running sweetly. 

Interestingly, I had a previous Golf GTD with the 184 version of the engine and that never rattled like the Superb used to.

• 2 weeks later...

Good evening.  We had this issue with our 2016 Superb 1.6 tdi when first purchased.  My wife brought the car back to the dealer to ask for explanation.  But turns out it's OK and it went after 6 months....something about new engine, expanding metal etc.  But I called them and told them I wanted this issue noted on the system as a warranty item and that they would be liable if anything happens to the engine, which they did and followed up with a letter to confirm.

No noise anymore and running smooth.