Advice about service history on my new VRS FL TSI DSG

Hi there.

Pleased to be back on the forum having sold my Yeti last Christmas.  I had a brief dalliance with a Golf R (awesome, but too small boot for family needs and nicked within 3 weeks) and have now just put down a deposit on a March 2012 VRS TSI DSG estate.

Before I pick up the car up next Monday I have a question about the full Skoda service history.  The car has done 52k miles and has had 6 services including DSG oil and brake fluid.  Clearly had some diligent previous owners.  However from studying the records in detail it seems the car has never had plugs, fuel filter or air filter (or at least these boxes haven't been ticked on records). Do you think I should ask for this before I pick up as service book says this should be done at 4 yrs or 60,000km (40k miles).  The last Skoda service was only a couple of thousand miles ago so seems a bit odd that they didn't do it then?

Also should I be looking out for evidence of cam chain tensioner recall work as I'm aware that this is a weakness of the engine and have read somewhere there was a recall about it?

Ive been offered 2 years warrantee and fresh MOT as part of the deal.  Does the Skoda warrantee cover full cost of engine replacement if the worst happens?

I'm really looking forward to getting behind the wheel next Monday. Immediate trip to Wales planned to give it a good pasting!

Thanks

3 minutes ago, Lozb said:

Hi there.

Pleased to be back on the forum having sold my Yeti last Christmas.  I had a brief dalliance with a Golf R (awesome, but too small boot for family needs and nicked within 3 weeks) and have now just put down a deposit on a March 2012 VRS TSI DSG estate.

Before I pick up the car up next Monday I have a question about the full Skoda service history.  The car has done 52k miles and has had 6 services including DSG oil and brake fluid.  Clearly had some diligent previous owners.  However from studying the records in detail it seems the car has never had plugs, fuel filter or air filter (or at least these boxes haven't been ticked on records). Do you think I should ask for this before I pick up as service book says this should be done at 4 yrs or 60,000km (40k miles).  The last Skoda service was only a couple of thousand miles ago so seems a bit odd that they didn't do it then?

Also should I be looking out for evidence of cam chain tensioner recall work as I'm aware that this is a weakness of the engine and have read somewhere there was a recall about it?

Ive been offered 2 years warrantee and fresh MOT as part of the deal.  Does the Skoda warrantee cover full cost of engine replacement if the worst happens?

I'm really looking forward to getting behind the wheel next Monday. Immediate trip to Wales planned to give it a good pasting!

Thanks

No recall for the Chain Cam tensioner issue, despite it being well documented. 2 years warranty should give some peace of mind on this issue for the next 2 years at least. The Skoda Approved Used warranty (assuming the car is approved used) the maximum claim limit is the price paid for the car, however there is a bit in there about it excluding "design faults". Given Skoda UK haven't officially acknowledged the issue or done a recall, you should be ok.

Plugs were done on my MK3 at the 4th year/40k service. Query the last service and what work was done. 6th year/60k should also be a major and the price of a major does include plug replacement if required. I'd want it done (as well as all the filters) as part of the sale condition if it hasn't already been done. Next service should only be a minor then.

6 hours ago, ahenners said:

No recall for the Chain Cam tensioner issue, despite it being well documented. 2 years warranty should give some peace of mind on this issue for the next 2 years at least. The Skoda Approved Used warranty (assuming the car is approved used) the maximum claim limit is the price paid for the car, however there is a bit in there about it excluding "design faults". Given Skoda UK haven't officially acknowledged the issue or done a recall, you should be ok.

Plugs were done on my MK3 at the 4th year/40k service. Query the last service and what work was done. 6th year/60k should also be a major and the price of a major does include plug replacement if required. I'd want it done (as well as all the filters) as part of the sale condition if it hasn't already been done. Next service should only be a minor then.

Thanks, helpful advice.

Went back to dealer and they have agreed to do plugs and filters before I pick up on Monday which should help keep cost of next service down, thanks for your comments.

That's good. They should of be done really, plugs were 5 years / 60k miles AFIR but either way they are nearly up and wld be good to change. Ask to see the old set would give you a view on the cylinder / combustion chamber condition but you do have the 2yr warranty.

2 Year Warranty will hopefully give some piece of mind. At March 2012 (registered?)  presumably manufacture date would be a month or two earlier (look at date on timing chain cover barcode for example) , that means it will not be running the current revision tensioner, so if you keeping the car after 2 yrs, may want to save for a tensioner / chain replacement as preventative mtce

Put the date in the diary a month or two b4 warranty expires to consider your move!

Edited by TheClient

9 hours ago, TheClient said:

That's good. They should of be done really, plugs were 5 years / 60k miles AFIR but either way they are nearly up and wld be good to change. Ask to see the old set would give you a view on the cylinder / combustion chamber condition but you do have the 2yr warranty.

2 Year Warranty will hopefully give some piece of mind. At March 2012 (registered?)  presumably manufacture date would be a month or two earlier (look at date on timing chain cover barcode for example) , that means it will not be running the current revision tensioner, so if you keeping the car after 2 yrs, may want to save for a tensioner / chain replacement as preventative mtce

Put the date in the diary a month or two b4 warranty expires to consider your move!

Thanks for this. I will ask for old plugs if it’s not too late. Anything I should be looking for

Will also schedule tensioner change. Are there any recorded failures of current revision or does this sort it properly? Will my current tensioner be better that say 2010 versions or is latest the only safe option?

The tensioner is a vulnerability.  I haven't read of any failures of the current revision but I think it cld still happen with time and duty cycles but clearly it is an improvement.  Your car will probably have the second to most recent version, better than earlier but still advisable to replace.

Ok, I have now picked up the car and I'm loving it so far.  The interior build quality is far better than my yeti and the performance has really suprised me considering it's 'only' 200 Bhp.  It's a very impressive package overall.  Definitely a keeper for a few years at least.

Having lived with the car for a few days now I have a couple of niggles which I'm wondering whether it's worth going back to the dealer about:

The (Skoda main) dealer described the alloys as immaculate but on closer inspection a couple of them have some nasty scrapes, albeit disguised with badly applied grey paint.

The plastic engine cover is missing (the thing with TSI written on it)

Three of the wheel nut covers are missing

There is a chip in the windscreen about 6mm dia, in the centre just beneath the line of sight. It passed the MOT but on checking the history it was an advisory at 2 previous MOT's

So should I just take this on the chin, after all it's a 52k 5.5 year old car.  Or do you think I have grounds for asking for some recompense?  Does the engine cover serve any purpose or is it just aesthetic?

thanks

The engine cover is just aesthetic, but should be there. the only recompense i would go for is the wheels as they are not as described, the chip in the windcrseen i would have i free repair done, most insurance company do this and normally don't add anything to the new premium; (none of mine have)

The engine cover is mostly aesthetic.

As you know the engine runs without it. But it does serve some purpose in preventing moisture / water penetration on some sensitive engine parts. For example, coil packs and deep spark plug thread recess are not great places to have water penetrate.  More an issue if you are cleaning engine or spill water when filling wiper reservoir  for example. But some water finds its way in the engine bay driving / heavy rain .

Ask skoda if they recommend driving without it - see what they say! 

Edit: has some sound absorbtion affect also.

Edited by TheClient

On 25/10/2017 at 21:55, Lozb said:

Ok, I have now picked up the car and I'm loving it so far.  The interior build quality is far better than my yeti and the performance has really suprised me considering it's 'only' 200 Bhp.  It's a very impressive package overall.  Definitely a keeper for a few years at least.

Having lived with the car for a few days now I have a couple of niggles which I'm wondering whether it's worth going back to the dealer about:

The (Skoda main) dealer described the alloys as immaculate but on closer inspection a couple of them have some nasty scrapes, albeit disguised with badly applied grey paint.

The plastic engine cover is missing (the thing with TSI written on it)

Three of the wheel nut covers are missing

There is a chip in the windscreen about 6mm dia, in the centre just beneath the line of sight. It passed the MOT but on checking the history it was an advisory at 2 previous MOT's

So should I just take this on the chin, after all it's a 52k 5.5 year old car.  Or do you think I have grounds for asking for some recompense?  Does the engine cover serve any purpose or is it just aesthetic?

thanks

Hi I hope this doesn't sound rude but why didn't you check the car more carefully before you bought it ? you have a much stronger hand in getting small things done by dealers before you have handed over your money rather than trying to go back after you have taken the car away.

• Like 1

On 29/10/2017 at 08:43, seriesdriver said:

Hi I hope this doesn't sound rude but why didn't you check the car more carefully before you bought it ? you have a much stronger hand in getting small things done by dealers before you have handed over your money rather than trying to go back after you have taken the car away.

Totally agree, I'm kicking myself now.  Saw the car and fell in love with it, and totally failed to spot the details.  Next time.........

Dealer will be posting me a new engine cover shortly so that's a bit of good news.  Apparently they had removed the old one whilst replacing plugs having noted a broken fixing so service department had already ordered it but not told sales, it's on back order apparently.

Im also now sitting at home waiting for Autoglass to arrive to sort out the chip via my insurance, good advice thanks.

I think I can live with the alloys until I change tyres in a year or so.  Then I will get them done properly.

Overall having reflected and driven it for a week now I'm really happy with the car.  It swallows massive amounts of family clobber and is still quite good fun on Welsh roads where i spend most of my driving time.  And I just love the rallye green!