Looks like rejection is on the cards .......

andyvee

Well, after 2 attempts at a fix and a 5 week wait for parts that the factory have now decided they can't supply, it looks like I am going to have to reject my Kodiaq due to build quality issues.

I'm not going to go in to any further details at this point, but there was a fault from day 1 that has worsened over time.

I'm glad that I notified my intention to reject within the first 30 days and gave them a final chance to fix, which they have been unable to do as the parts are not available.

Not looking forward to the hassle this is going to be ..........

Edited by andyvee

Oh dear. They're already rapidly losing their reputation for customer service, so if  build quality goes the same way that's not good.

To be fair the actual build quality on mine is excellent, although it would have been nice if they'd lined up the headlights properly and/or fixed them at the PDI rather than make me have to get a reluctant dealer to sort it out. 

• Thanks 1

Well, their customer service will be put to the test tomorrow - along the lines of supply me what I ordered without any faults and without any further inconvenience or cost to myself.

After the massive delay with seatgate, they have some serious grovelling to do if they want to keep me as a customer. Losing faith rapidly in the brand, so they had better pull their socks up tomorrow and come up with a solution.

If you do decide to reject the car don't go to Nissan they are terrible, once i rejected my car it took over 2 months to get my car back. The nissan had faults on it from collection the lesson i have learnt would be if you find a fault don't accept the car until its sorted. 

I hope i don't get the same issues with Skoda don't think i could handle the street again.

Ones that others haven't mentioned so far.

I'm not prepared to post too much publicly until Skoda have had a chance to sort a mess of their own making out.

All I will say is the issue is with the factory, not the dealer or SUK.

• Like 1

?

Any reason you can not just say what the issues with your Kodiaq is from the factory.

Are you bound by some confidentiality agreement or the likes? 

You are posting on an open forum and being very mysterious. 

If you are getting a replacement Kodiak then Skoda CZ & UK have obviously accepted there is a major fault that can not be rectified.

Is the car so bad & unfit for purpose that it is unusable until the factory build can be done and delivered.

Edited by Headinawayoffski

There is an issue with the rear seat frame (2nd row, not 3rd row), and the factory cannot supply a seat frame, it was on order for 5 weeks then the factory suddenly decided they could not supply one.

Not bound by any confidentiality agreement, I am not being mysterious as I have posted in another thread :)

It isn't a major fault, the car is not 'unusable' but it is not of 'satisfactory quality', so I have the right to reject it as they cannot fix it under warranty, and the fault has been present since day one. The dealer doesn't even have another stock Kodiaq with the same interior trim level they could swap the seats with either.

The car was delayed for 5 weeks due to supply issues with rear seats, so to then supply me one with a faulty rear seat and being unable to source the parts has left me no option other than to ask for the car to be replaced.

So no structural or mechanical failings, just Skoda CZ can not get a part.

Major expense to be incurred to someone, Skoda UK and as it will be the rejected Kodiak still needs the seat frame before they have it back on a forecourt.

Their issue then, and do not say much for the Factory, Company or the VW Group.

Edited by Headinawayoffski

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/10/2017 at 18:54, andyvee said:

Losing faith rapidly in the brand, so they had better pull their socks up tomorrow and come up with a solution.

Sorry to hear your woes Andy, sounds like an initial issue which no-one took ownership of, and perhaps could be have been avoided if the factory had agreed to supply or acknowledge the fault.

Hope you resolve.

1 hour ago, silver1011 said:

What is the fault!?

A manufacturing problem with the middle row of seats frame - it requires a new seat frame and due to seatgate part 2 the factory cannot supply one, but it took them 5 weeks to decide they couldn't supply. Seeing as the car was delayed 5 weeks due to seatgate part 1 I have rejected it as not of satisfactory quality. Luckily I had expressed my intention to reject within the first 30 days and given them 3 chances to fix it, the final chance was to replace the entire rear seat with a new assembly and a timeframe of a month was agreed. When 5 weeks had passed and no sign of the seats I rejected the car.

Edited by andyvee

52 minutes ago, Coops said:

Sorry to hear your woes Andy, sounds like an initial issue which no-one took ownership of, and perhaps could be have been avoided if the factory had agreed to supply or acknowledge the fault.

Hope you resolve.

No, the dealership took full ownership and couldn't have done more. They have been let down 4 times by the factory:

1. Order placed 5th Jan for early June delivery, BW kept slipping and ended up being the end of June. Not acceptable for a pre-order when orders placed after launch were getting built
  2. Car delayed 5 weeks and sat in a field due to a shortage of rear seats - seatgate part 1
  3. Seats eventually fitted were faulty but still managed to somehow pass QC at the supplier and factory - stinks of a rush job due to the shortages
  4. Factory unable to supply replacement due to yet another shortage of seats - seatgate part 2.

It is being resolved to my satisfaction - another Kodiaq is on order and apparently will be expedited at the factory. I am still awaiting a build date though, if I haven't got a date that is acceptable by the middle of next week then I will exercise my right to a full refund. They can't charge me for wear and tear or mileage as I expressed my intention to reject within 30 days. I'll then leave the brand and VAG group for good and buy something else.

Time for Skoda to show they still care about their customers or lose one for life. I could be car shopping this time next week unless they get their finger out.

Edited by andyvee
  • Thanks 1

We understand and sympathise with all that, Andy. But, as silver said: what is the fault?

In answering that, you’ve told us it’s “an issue” with the seats; that there was a “manufacturing problem” and that the seats “were faulty”. 

Mine is due soon and obviously I’ll now be looking closely at the seats, as will others in a similar position. But ... what are we looking for, please?

1 hour ago, DaveMiller said:

We understand and sympathise with all that, Andy. But, as silver said: what is the fault?

In answering that, you’ve told us it’s “an issue” with the seats; that there was a “manufacturing problem” and that the seats “were faulty”. 

Mine is due soon and obviously I’ll now be looking closely at the seats, as will others in a similar position. But ... what are we looking for, please?

sounds like they have put seats/frame from a 5 seat car that don't move ! into a 7 seat car  ( i might be wrong )

1 hour ago, DaveMiller said:

Not so much looking, as listening - the seat frame rattles like a tambourine - it was only slight at first (ie rough tarmac or a bump/pothole would set it off) but has got significantly worse. In Sports mode with DCC it is constant, even on smooth tarmac. The dealer cannot isolate exactly what is rattling, it is something internal to the seat frame itself. You only have to touch the seat backs firmly now and it rattles. It is driving my kids mad sat in the back.

The seats have been out of the car in an attempt to fix and no joy.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bripat said:

sounds like they have put seats/frame from a 5 seat car that don't move ! into a 7 seat car  ( i might be wrong )

:) if only it were that simple

TBH it sounds like a spring rattling around inside a metal tube

Sorry to here of your woes ! I think you are a victim of the modern manufacturing methods of "Just in time" , I would imagine the seats will be made by an external supplier and the assembly line will only have seats delivered for the actual shift that any car is due to be made ,and each seat will be allocated to a specific build , there are no stores or spares in the system anymore , the lead time on seat orders will be matched with all other components to build the car etc. To order an "extra" seat , which is not seen as a normal spare part will probably have no easy route on the manufacturing program , so I can understand why there has been so many delays , plus there have been all sorts of problems with supply of seats recently for the routine manufacture so I would guess your problem probably got little priority or "lost" in the system. It sounds ridiculous but it probably is easier for Skoda to build you another car!! but with a lot of options , you are at the mercy of the longest lead time item , I have ordered DCC for my car and the dealer warned me it would likely be a long lead time as the  factory build very few of them with that option.

I hope you get some sort of satisfactory resolution soon 

I don't see why dcc would have a long lead time in a kodiaq. The same line also builds the Seat Ateca, Karoq and Superb.  All of which either offer Dcc as an option or standard on a trim level.

Add to the fact that a lot of the oily bits would be standardised parts designed for the mqb floorpan, and there should not be any longer lead time than usual apart from the kodiaq seats problem, normal capacity requirements or how they generally sort in what order cars are built.

Ive just got a superb and even after order I was changing some specs and partially undecided right up until 4 weeks until build. It still took the same 12 weeks from order to collection that i was orginally quoted.

Edited by roo

1 hour ago, StuartAK said:

Sorry to here of your woes ! I think you are a victim of the modern manufacturing methods of "Just in time" , I would imagine the seats will be made by an external supplier and the assembly line will only have seats delivered for the actual shift that any car is due to be made ,and each seat will be allocated to a specific build , there are no stores or spares in the system anymore , the lead time on seat orders will be matched with all other components to build the car etc. To order an "extra" seat , which is not seen as a normal spare part will probably have no easy route on the manufacturing program , so I can understand why there has been so many delays , plus there have been all sorts of problems with supply of seats recently for the routine manufacture so I would guess your problem probably got little priority or "lost" in the system. It sounds ridiculous but it probably is easier for Skoda to build you another car!! but with a lot of options , you are at the mercy of the longest lead time item , I have ordered DCC for my car and the dealer warned me it would likely be a long lead time as the  factory build very few of them with that option.

I hope you get some sort of satisfactory resolution soon 

Yep, and the supplier can't supply enough seats for scheduled production in the first place.

58 minutes ago, andyvee said:

Yep, and the supplier can't supply enough seats for scheduled production in the first place.

Yes I am still waiting for a delivery date. It is now three weeks since the car was built minus its seats. I am expecting a phone call from a manager at Skoda UK tomorrow with an update as my dealer seems unable to find out anything 

Mine sat in a field for 5 weeks .............

I hope they are suitably compensating you for the delay as they did for those affected by seatgate part 1.

The dealer won't be able to find anything out, you need to be speaking to Executive Office Customer Services at Skoda to get any sense, and they can only tell you what the factory tell them.