2016 Octy 2.0 TDi SE-L suspension

I have just bought a Oct 2016  2.0 TDI SE-L and I am so disappointed with the suspension and ride!

For the last 9years I have owned a Mk2 Octy1.9tdi Ambiente which when I sold it had done 136,000 fault free miles and was a brilliant car comfortable and good to drive right up until I sold it.

This new 2.0 SE-L is driving me crazy the ride is so bad...The suspension is jiggly and just plain hard! With weight in it is slightly better but still unacceptable to me!

It has been suggested to me that it may be possible to change the rear shock absorbers but I need some info before going down this route?

After 5weeks ownership I am thinking of just gettting rid of it and buying an older BMW 320D estate. 

Help and advice needed please....

I had a 2013 O3 2.0TDI Elegance, effectively same car as yours.  I too was disappointed with ride quality, the rear torsion beam is an issue, but the clunking and banging from front also drove me nuts!  I did try to improve it with Eibach springs and Bilstein dampers, which did help and the lower springs improved the stance.  In the end, I traded it in for a 520d and that has 19" rims with M Sport suspension, the ride is sublime by comparison to the O3.  I have come to the conclusion the MQB suspension is not very well engineered, SWMBO has a Leon FR but with independent rears, it's better than the O3 but the BMW is light-years ahead in engineering terms.

Yes I didn't realise until I had bought it that the Octavia 03  suspension had seen a cost cutting excercise to a 1970's torsion beam setup.

Can someone tell me please If I did decide to change the shock absorbers which part number shock absorbers to change to?...and from which model VW?...Golf....or A3?...Change all round or just rears?

All help or ideas much appreciated to help me sort this.

I went from the Mk2 Octavia VRS on 18 inch wheels to a 320 MSport on 19 inch wheels with run flats. I was concerned about the stories of harsh ride so on the test ride I took it  down the worst I could find and surprised at how smooth and comfortable the ride was compared the Octavia. Only regret I have of changing cars is not having the huge boot of the Octavia but that is it, even the servicing costs of the BMW are less using main dealers.

If the Mk3 Octavia (I've not driven one) is a worse ride that the Mk2, the BMW will feel like a magic carpet.

It is jiggly at high speed ( M40, M3) and all round crashy and gives a rough ride at low speed on average condition roads! The car has done 11,000miles.

Tyres are OE Michelin Green X Energy Saver 205/55R16.

I have jacked up and checked the front suspension and I can't see any transport blocks underneath the rubber gaiter only the ordinary beige travel stop blocks. Haven't checked rear suspension though yet.

Edited by Alan R

5 hours ago, Alan R said:

Tyres are OE Michelin Green X Energy Saver 205/55R16.

Energy saver tyres have harder treads and sidewalls, so they may be a factor in your harsh ride.

My other car (a Citroen C1) came with Michelin Energy Savers and the ride was bordering on "shake your teeth out", changing to "normal" tyres made a massive improvement.

Hmmm... Thanks for the info on the Michelin Energy Savers. I see that Goodyear F1 A3's are the ones to go for. However I am not convinced dumping perfectly good tyres although I am sure may help a bit will fully cure the problem.

The problem I understand seems to be this very basic torsion beam rear axle, that Skoda on a cost cutting exercise now fits is the issue, so perhaps someone can suggest what I could change the OE shocks to?....Part numbers etc. would be great if anyone has them.

I hate to say this, but I also switched from Dunlop Sport Maxx GT, they were also very hard wearing, to Goodyear F1AS2s and it made next to no difference on the suspension issues.  The best improvement was the Eibach Pro Kit springs, approx £200 plus fitting, you could run these with original dampers first, it lowers the car by approx 30mm, I also fitted Bilstein B4 dampers all round, they are an OEM equivalent but a B6 or B8 may be better but they are not cheap.  Speak to Demon Tweeks for part nos, etc, they were very helpful.  IMO, my set up improved the ride quality to bearable, but when I sold it with 70k on the clock it was pretty much back to clunking and banging it's way over any road imperfection, I just think the whole chassis is not that great.  I had a mate with a Golf 7 GTD, he came from a Golf 6 GT and hated every mile he drove it for the same reasons I did the O3!

Edited by Matt Pez
  • Like 1

Maybe a combination of the heavier duty suspension that comes with the non VRS diesel models and consequent torsion beam rear suspension. I had much the same suspension setup on my Octavia 1.6 diesel estate car, kind of rough to say the least when driven in urban areas on the usual lumpy bumpy UK roads but actually pretty good on faster roads with decent road surfaces. The torsion beam suspension is really one cost saver too many, you kind of get used to it but you never really like it!

Thanks all for the suggestion/commiserations. I am now looking into getting rid of the car after only 5 weeks ownership and buying a BMW 320d. It is a real shame because there are lots of things I like about the car particularly the 2.0 diesel engine. However the suspension compared to my old mk2 Octavia that I had for 9years is truly awful and I just can't live with it.

• Like 1

The ride on my car was transformed after I removed the transport blocks and fitted Golf mk7 rear dampers, much softer. It was a very easy fit, 3 bolts. Where in the Midlands are you, I am East Midlands, not impossible to arrange a swap session unless you are committed to getting rid of the car.

• Like 1

Pailius55

Thanks for the info and your offer is very much appreciated. I am also in the East Midlands, probably a bit further north than you, but meeting up would be possible and extremely helpful.

However....

The situation currently is that I am test driving a 320D Tourer on Wed/Thursday of this week and if I like it and can come to terms with forking out a lot more cash (This may be the hard bit) I will probably buy.

If the situation changes or I still find myself undecided on what to do I will certainly get back to you and arrange to meet up.

Just out of interest, are the Mk7 shocks you fitted the standard OE VW items?

Thanks again....

Edited by Alan R

On 19/10/2017 at 17:52, Alan R said:

The problem I understand seems to be this very basic torsion beam rear axle, that Skoda on a cost cutting exercise now fits is the issue,

VW and Seat also fit torsion beams on cheaper models. Get a Focus if you want proper independent rear suspension.

• Like 1

The Mk7 shocks are standard VW items, from the models with torsion bar suspension. I got them from eBay from a car that was younger than mine that was being broken up. I think I paid about £40 for them, one of the best things I did to the car. There should be a thread somewhere in the depths of this site with more information on this swap.

I have just found the thread:

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/tags/hard firm suspension Octavia/

Edited by Paulius55
Adding more information

Thanks for the info on the shocks and the previous thread on the subject... I may need further help if it doesn't go well testing the 320D.

All useful stuff guys....Thanks!

My SE petrol on the same tyre size and type can not be described as crashy and rough. So I think you exagerrate or the transport blocks are there.The ride is quiet and smooth until I hit pot holes. I took a long test drive over roads I know. My previous car was a Mk2 FL diesel with sport suspension and 245/45-17 tyres. Ditto for the test drive and  ride over 97000 miles .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, gregoir said:

My SE petrol on the same tyre size and type can not be described as crashy and rough. So I think you exagerrate or the transport blocks are there.The ride is quiet and smooth until I hit pot holes. I took a long test drive over roads I know. My previous car was a Mk2 FL diesel with sport suspension and 245/45-17 tyres. Ditto for the test drive and  ride over 97000 miles .

I would expect slightly heavier duty suspension in diesel models than their petrol engined equivalents. I can only comment on the diesel estate mk 3

Octavia which I used to own and as I mentioned above it was nice and smooth suspension wise when driven on motorways, dual carriageways etc but very poor when driven in towns, not at all smooth or quiet. There have been some comments on here that the newer manufactured mk 3 Octavia's have some improvements to suspension settings as compared to the earlier versions like the one that I had which may or may not be the case.

M SE-L is horrible when it hits the bump, especially in corner.  I am talking aaout handling, sound is another issue. Sometimes is looses all traction for a second, especially when wet. I guess never torsion beam again.