Emissions upgrade when serviced

Sara. S

My Fabia Est 1.6 SE had it's 80,000 mile service in August this year. I have had the car from new, I average 20,000 miles per year. It has been a great car, extremely economical and reliable. Unfortunately, when my car went in to the dealership for its service, the mechanics also carried out the emissions 'fix'. What a nightmare! The engine has cut out completely on two occasions, both when accelerating up hill. The fuel economy has dropped from an average consumption of 63mpg on my journey to work to 54mpg, my journey home from 58mpg to 49mpg. The engine is extremely sluggish and I have noticed when starting the engine that the diesel fumes are really strong. At first I thought these issues had been caused by a dodgy tank of diesel because I filled the tank just after collecting the car from the dealers. It has now been a couple of months and there is no improvement. If anything it appears to be getting worse.

I have booked the car in to the dealers next week so that they can plug it into their diagnostic machine. I now know that there have been many people with problems after the emissions fix. Has anyone managed to get their cars back to normal after this?? I am so fed up with it that I am looking to buy a new car. The 'fix' is costing me much more in fuel.

Sara.:sadsmile:

My Fabby Greenline II had the fix done at it's last MOT.

I know the engine is different (1.2 TDi) but the car feels about the same! the only problem I have, which I'm gonna get them to check at it's 80k service in 2 weeks, is when pulling up to a junction, and dropping it a cog to continue from an almost stand still, the car doesn't seem to want to pull away, it's like the turbo needs to spin up again to get the car going! I literally have to stop! then select 1st and pull away normally!

Otherwise my fuel consumption still seems to be averaging about 68mpg on my commute (I'm quite lead footed) which is what I was getting before!

Sara, there are various threads on the post emission fix problems. Have a read through some of them for advice. If you hadn't given them permission to perform the fix then start with that as they have carried out unauthorised work on your car which is now having a detrimental affect. 

It's not just the Fabia, my 2.0 superb wont pull away from a junction, postfix, without stalling unless I give it some real welly

• Sad 1

Thank you. I will question why they carried out the 'fix' without my permission. I had received the notification asking me to book the car in for the 'fix' but I did not ask for it to be carried out.

Sara

The dealership can not 'Roll Back'  to Pre Fix,  but they are going to have to do something as The Fix non approved by you has had an adverse affect;

Get it all in writing, them admitting you never approved the fix by signing for it, and what you did sign then handing in your keys / vehicle.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/436932-emissions-scandal-warranty 

See the post with a response a member had from the DVSA (DfT)

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/434714-emissions-fix-and-rip-off-britain/?page=3 

Edited by Headinawayoffski

I took my Yeti for a service and haldex change at my local Skoda dealer a couple of weeks ago, after chatting with the service assistant about the usual things like weather, modern cars etc we walked outside and I raised the question of the emissions fix...."at least 1 in 10 are coming back in for warranty work, mostly EGR valves, maybe 1 in 5.. a lot.  Mostly 1.6's though come to think of it". 

I asked whether he would have it carried out on his own vehicle and was initially gobsmacked he said yes he would and has.  His reason being that "the best thing about it as a consumer is that all the things that can go wrong are covered for 2 years or up to 160K miles so it's like a used car warranty so what's not to like".  Err... poor running, poor mpg by comparison, early component failure and reduced expected service life of the entire unit...".  He didn't really know what to say so I let him off and changed the subject.

The reason for replying is that Skoda dealers are absolutely aware of the issues especially with 1.6's of having the fix.  There is a strong argument for negligence of how on Earth can they apply this update to cars knowing that 10% suffer component failure, reduced performance and economy.  It really is scandalous.

Sara your Fabia will be covered by this http://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/dieselinfo/trust-building-measure/

but this is probably just the start of your problems from reading what 1000's of other VAG car drivers have been saying.

Don't be surprised if the dealers ask you to pay for it to be plugged it into their diagnostic machine (You DON'T)

They will probably say it has faults and want to charge you £100's (RUBBISH)

They will probably say it's due to poor quality fuel that you have been using (ANOTHER LOAD OF TOSH)

Your car was all fine before they done the emissions fix and now you have the problems so they need to fix it.

They may ask to keep your car while they do tests (May not offer courtesy car) some have had cars in the dealers for 6+ weeks now.

I don't know your circumstances and how long this could take and the only solution to these problems will be a ecu software rollback which your dealer is 100% not going to do or pay for. 

If you have no joy with your dealer you can call the Skoda Emission hotline and open a case with them.

• Like 1

exactly the same as you Sara. They wouldn't reverse it and they gave me a 2 year warranty. The solution is to remap it and it will come back to life if not even better than before. That's what i did.

Bertie

I am at the dealers now. Apparently my rubber floor mat was wedged under the accelerator which was causing lack of power???? Sorry? What about the cutting out and terrible fuel economy? “There were no error codes showing up on the diagnostics”. Says the service manager. They have suggested if the problems continue they will have it in for further investigations over a couple of days. So now what do I do??

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sara. S said:

I am at the dealers now. Apparently my rubber floor mat was wedged under the accelerator which was causing lack of power???? Sorry? What about the cutting out and terrible fuel economy? “There were no error codes showing up on the diagnostics”. Says the service manager. They have suggested if the problems continue they will have it in for further investigations over a couple of days. So now what do I do??

They still need to come up with an answer as to why they performed the update without your permission. The problems will continue and you will have to go back in the next couple of days. The best bet is to not leave until they give you a satisfactory answer. They caused these issues without your permission, therefore they should fix them, correct?

The longer you leave it, the more they will blame it on other causes or try to brush it off.

• Like 1

?

Have they said why the carried out The Fix' without the signed permission.  Have you the paperwork on it, the VW Group information.

Fault codes are not the issue as the Workshop Manager / Master Tech well knows.

Best talk to the Dealer Principal or the most senior person in the Dealership, 

have it in writing from them that the Dealership carried out The Fix without permission,  they are paid for that, they had no right to do it if you never gave permission.

If your car has adverse affects from it, leave it with them, get the Dealer Principals car / Demonstrator as a courtesy car and they can drive yours for a week.

My Partner dropped the car off for service. He signed the sheet the dealer always requested must be signed to give permission to service the car. He didn’t realise it also gave the dealers permission to carry out the emissions fix. The service manager explained to him what had been done when he collected the car.  So I’m stuck really. I couldn’t leave the car with the dealers, there was no courtesy car available until the middle of November. 

Edited by Sara. S

They will be able to give you a copy of the usual 'Handing in and giving permission form when servicing or work is being done', 

the the signed report from the Service desk employee coming out and checking the car for damage etc before taking charge of it

Then the copy of the Permission to carry out the voluntary VW / Skoda Group Recall action to carry out the engine management changes to remove the Defeat Device'.

Give you the copy of the Peace of mind VW Group 24 month guarantee for Post Fix.

?

Have you made your official complaint to the VW Group?   Where you given that form?

The Service Manager can contact Skoda UK while you are there, log your complaint and get the Courtesy car arranged.

If the Dealership has no Courtesy Car they can hire one, or find which employee is driving a car Skoda UK still own.

they can take their personal belongings out of that Demonstrator and find some other transport home.

The Sales Executive or Manager can drive your car.

Find out how it behaves.

Or Skoda UK Customer Services can get you a car hired.

The Dealership do not seem or the employees, to take seriously what they have done while acting as an agent for Skoda UK / VW Group.

http://skoda.co.uk/about-us/contact-us 

I think the worst thing you could do it let it go lightly. You need to be be on at them until you get the result you want. They would be able to find a car for you to drive if they really wanted to. They've aused the damage, get them to hire you a car if necessary!

If you keep on at them, they will give in.

The dealers are behaving as if there isn’t a problem. Almost as if it is my imagination. I have ordered a new car from a different dealer. I drive 20000 miles per year, mostly alone. I need to feel that I can trust my car. I will make sure that I have a copy of the peace of mind guarantee to go with my existing car when I sell it. 

• Like 1

I have stuck with a new Fabia Est diesel SEL even though I have had issues with my existing car, I really like the new Fabia. It has the new EU6 engine so hopefully it will be ok. I have been very happy with my existing Fabia until the recent emissions issue. 

Edited by Sara. S
  • Like 1

All the best.

Not to pee on the parade but i hope that Skoda / VW Group have the 1.4 TDI 3 cylinder fully sorted out now since Fabia MK3 1.4TDI owners have been having overheating issues and water pumps replaced, and replaced water pumps replaced even after they had the New Coolant replacing the Standard Coolants 

that were being filled from the factory.

Vorsprung Durch Technik.  'Decades of Engine building, and still they source & fit the wrong parts or fluids', tell customers / owners nothing..

PS

The 1.0TSI (petrol) seems like a beaut of an engine, drives nicely.  Only time will tell though.