Columbus without sim slot.

Hi. I have just taken delivery of a new Octavia 245 and I’m loving it. 

I order s the Columbus nav System for a load moe money and thought this came with the sim slot. 

Apparently this is only is you also select the premium wifi option as well (another £350) but my dealer didn’t know this and we both thought it would be included. 

I have told him to sort it out but he says it is impossible to retro fit the s capable unit. 

Is this true? Seems odd to me. Does anyone know or can you give me some advice on how to escalate  

cheers. 

Rob. 

don't worry, just forget about built in navigation,
try such online systems as Waze, Google Map, Here, etc.
and yes, directly on smartphone they will give more functionality than trough Android Auto

5 hours ago, MartiniB said:

don't worry, just forget about built in navigation,
try such online systems as Waze, Google Map, Here, etc.
and yes, directly on smartphone they will give more functionality than trough Android Auto

That's not the point. The issue is there's no sim card slot on the Columbus system in the car he's bought, despite the dealer telling him it should be there. Columbus will still function as a sat nav, but the option of in car wifi will not be available.

The correct unit can be retrofitted, although it's going to be very costly. Unless the dealer can shoulder the cost then I wouldn't bother.

The dealer did not tell him, he just agreed with the op that if the columbus was specced than it should come with the sim card slot. Yes the dealer should probably do his homework better, but personally I'd want to make 100% sure that it is actually in the spec to begin with.  If you go onto the skoda website confugurator  however (Or look at the brochure), you find that it is a £350 option that can only be chosen if you also go for the columbus (premium WLAN with high speed LTE). 

A 5 minute check would have found that out.

Either way it's a lot of money when you can buy a wifi dongle with enough internet access for nearly 3 years for that amount.

Edited by roo

Excuse me, but how do you know the dealer didn't tell him? The dealer apparently thought it would be included, which implies that the OP asked the question and got an answer. Or if the OP said "I believe the Columbus comes with a sim card slot, doesn't it?" and the dealer replied affirmatively, then either of those scenarios would mean the dealer told him it would be included. Yes, the dealer should've checked (or should've known), but he didn't. In that case, the sim card slot missing when the car was delivered would be the dealers error. Customer asked for a Columbus with a sim card slot, dealer delivered one without.

• Like 2

On ‎20‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 14:45, Rustynuts said:

That's not the point. The issue is there's no sim card slot on the Columbus system in the car he's bought, despite the dealer telling him it should be there. Columbus will still function as a sat nav, but the option of in car wifi will not be available.

The correct unit can be retrofitted, although it's going to be very costly. Unless the dealer can shoulder the cost then I wouldn't bother.

That's interesting. Both the dealer and Skoda customer service have told be it can't be retro fitted. My guess is that its not just the unit in the glove box but a phone aerial???

I have raised a comp[lain with Skoda, I'll see what happens.

On ‎20‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 15:07, roo said:

The dealer did not tell him, he just agreed with the op that if the columbus was specced than it should come with the sim card slot. Yes the dealer should probably do his homework better, but personally I'd want to make 100% sure that it is actually in the spec to begin with.  If you go onto the skoda website confugurator  however (Or look at the brochure), you find that it is a £350 option that can only be chosen if you also go for the columbus (premium WLAN with high speed LTE). 

A 5 minute check would have found that out.

Either way it's a lot of money when you can buy a wifi dongle with enough internet access for nearly 3 years for that amount.

To be fair to me I had a list as long as my arm of options that Carwow and the configurator did not agree on. I did spot it and asked the dealer and he told me that it came with the Columbus.

I also asked the dealer for us to spec the car on the Skoda configurator and give me the Carwow discount but "his manager said that can't be don" so we ended up with a scrap of paper taking this off and adding that on to come up with the cost of the car. I'm a still gobsmacked that this is how you need to order a car in 2017. I would have thought they'd have a decent Computer system with this stuff in it.

Still I love the car and the Wifi dongle is an OK substitute but I'll continue with my complaint and see what happens.

On ‎20‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 15:41, Rustynuts said:

Excuse me, but how do you know the dealer didn't tell him? The dealer apparently thought it would be included, which implies that the OP asked the question and got an answer. Or if the OP said "I believe the Columbus comes with a sim card slot, doesn't it?" and the dealer replied affirmatively, then either of those scenarios would mean the dealer told him it would be included. Yes, the dealer should've checked (or should've known), but he didn't. In that case, the sim card slot missing when the car was delivered would be the dealers error. Customer asked for a Columbus with a sim card slot, dealer delivered one without.

I haven't even mentioned the call I got from the dealer after they placed the order for the car to tell me that unfortunately they could not spec the front parking sensors because the "Computer would not let them" (this was also an option on Carwow) so he would look into an aftermarket option. I asked him to confirm with Skoda which he didn't do so I went online, saw it was in the standard spec and then phones Skoda to confirm. I then email the dealer to tell him it was standard. :-S

Amazing I got a car at all....

I am a tech geek for a living and did a lot of research, but in hindsight I should have done more... Buyer beware....