Smashed window stolen stereo woes - felicia 1995

HI,

just found that some horrible person smashed the small triangle bit of my back passenger window and stole my new stereo! I'm totally gutted as my poor 1995 felicia now has a gaffa tape londis bag window and no music. Looks like the window replacement may be pricey,  (and I'm pretty dam skint!) have quotes for around 100 quid, also I have the mot due in 2 weeks so need it fixed! Any tips for what I should be paying, ideas for a cheap but successful fix, where can I find the new glass pane and could I perhaps fit it myself? Also any tips for a theft free stereo?! One you can remove or ways of hiding or ingenious cheap ways of in car music ? 

IMG_0470.JPG

There is no such thing as a full proof, cheap car security. We can only delay somehow the job of a car thief. No matter how expensive a car is, a thief will find the weakest spot. For the vast majority of cars, side windows and the flexibility of door frames are the weakest spots. Search YouTube to see how easy :( it is to break into a car... Nobody will try to pick the door locks today, maybe only total amateurs.

Speaking about Felicia, it has a very poor security against breaking in.. An (inflatable) wedge, a Slim Jim or even a thin rope are enough tools for a thief. Sometimes a very sharp and strong chisel/awl will break any side window. Remember I say these things in sadness.

So what can we do to DELAY a theft from our car?

- install a car alarm with shock sensors, towing sensors, and ultrasonic sensors for the interior. IMPORTANT! Buy an alarm that has many types of alarm sounds to choose from.

- install shock-proof window foil on all side windows.

- park the car in a well lit place at night.

- avoid buying flashy, expensive objects known to attract thieves. Especially sound gear. Horrible persons (aka MFing car thieves) drool after them.

That' s it (for now).

• Like 1

Sorry to hear your loss me I leave the car unlocked, if a scumbag wants to get into the car at least he will or she will not damage the windows or doors. most of all do not leave ANYTHING of any value in a tin box in the road.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, mikefelicia said:

most of all do not leave ANYTHING of any value in a tin box in the road.

We had a case when the thief slashed the dashboard, seats, back seats, etc. for not finding any valuable inside. Unpredictable, sick, desperate minds...

• Like 1

On 10/20/2017 at 10:30, mikefelicia said:

me I leave the car unlocked

Really ? :o I mean REALLY ? :o:o

Not sure what is the present value/condition of your car but there are many nasty things you could find in the morning (if the car is still to be found) such as: syringes, needles, condoms, stains of all kinds, smells of all kinds, slashes, missing parts, etc. You could even find a drunk, a junkie or a hobo asleep in your car.

Sorry but I don't find value in your advice for somebody that cares about his/her car.

On 10/19/2017 at 23:43, alicehb93 said:

ideas for a cheap but successful fix, where can I find the new glass pane and could I perhaps fit it myself?

A scrapyard is the cheapest solution to find a sh window. As for fitting it yourself, how could we know the answer without describing your experience and skills?

• Like 1

I thought most aftermarket car stereos are designed with a removable front panel for security, so you can take it with you and the rest of the stereo is rendered useless to any theif because it wont play anything without the front. Anyway, i have a spare rear quarter light window that i can sell you for £20 posted, but i wont have time to remove it from my car until this weekend. As for fitting it, i expect it should take an experienced mechanic about an hour, so about £50 charge. See my post in the classifieds for contact details as i cant log on every day.

Edited by Favorit Fan

On 22/10/2017 at 12:12, RicardoM said:

Not sure what is the present value/condition of your car but there are many nasty things you could find in the morning (if the car is still to be found) such as: syringes, needles, condoms, stains of all kinds, smells of all kinds, slashes, missing parts, etc. You could even find a drunk, a junkie or a hobo asleep in your car.

Sorry but I don't find value in your advice for somebody that cares about his/her car.

A scrapyard is the cheapest solution to find a sh window. As for fitting it yourself, how could we know the answer without describing your experience and skills?

Depends where you live really.

Where I live no one ever locks their car or house. The only recorded crime in the last 10 years that I know of was the new pub landlord pretending his car was nicked (it was under a tarp in the yard).

And no, not saying where I live!!

9 hours ago, S00perb said:

And no, not saying where I live!!

No need to. We already know :cool: 

Would you share with us the secret of zero thefts / infinite trust? I bet it has to do with something very specific, not applicable to the rest of 99.9% population.

On ‎24‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 21:25, RicardoM said:

No need to. We already know :cool: 

Would you share with us the secret of zero thefts / infinite trust? I bet it has to do with something very specific, not applicable to the rest of 99.9% population.

a. Unlikely

b. Couldn't say really. When I moved to the valley I was taken the pi22 out of for locking things. After a whie I realised no one was loosing stuff so I stopped locking things.

I guess everyone knows everyone, no one comes our way to get anywhere (its a very long dead end).

Some liverpudlians camped out in a white van in the valley a few years back and apparently over 30 people wrote down their number plate!!

4 hours ago, S00perb said:

Some liverpudlians camped out in a white van in the valley a few years back and apparently over 30 people wrote down their number plate!!

Wow. It's not like the Nazi Germany wants to invade the island. That was a patriotic duty 73 years ago. As for the " very long dead end " it's exactly what I've thought. Your situation doesn't apply at all to the vast majority of the UK people.

Anyways, I think we are way off topic. Not to mention that OP has zero reaction to our advice.

18 hours ago, RicardoM said:

Wow. It's not like the Nazi Germany wants to invade the island. That was a patriotic duty 73 years ago. As for the " very long dead end " it's exactly what I've thought. Your situation doesn't apply at all to the vast majority of the UK people.

Anyways, I think we are way off topic. Not to mention that OP has zero reaction to our advice.

They certainly don't trust those "from off" (anyone who doesn't have 5 generations in the graveyard), but the upside is trust of those who live around you.

Certainly a rare place. Not unique - I lived in a similar place before. Just a matter of finding a safe place to live.

• 1 year later...
On ‎21‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 06:38, RicardoM said:

We had a case when the thief slashed the dashboard, seats, back seats, etc. for not finding any valuable inside. Unpredictable, sick, desperate minds...

I've since had someone break into mine - throw everything around, but steal nothing but some spare knickers out of an overnight bad in the boot!!! 

On ‎22‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 12:12, RicardoM said:

thank you!! I got one on ebay for £12!!

16 minutes ago, alicehb93 said:

I've since had someone break into mine - throw everything around, but steal nothing but some spare knickers out of an overnight bad in the boot!!! 

Kinky :o

16 minutes ago, alicehb93 said:

I got one on ebay for £12!! 

You mean window or pair of knickers? :D

Edited by RicardoM
  • Haha 2