TYRE SIZES

VWD

MiNoRcOnFuSiO, 

First be aware that the sizes on the tyre wall are sizes on the tyre wall, use a tape measure to check.

A Pirelli Zero Nero 205/40 R 17 brand new on the rim can be taller / total radius higher than a brand new Dunlop Sport Maxx 205/40 R 17 on the same rim.

You can find new 215/40 R 17's that will be no bigger, all about the Brand / Tread / Tyre Type / Compound, then the pressure of air in them.

http://kouki.co.uk/utilities/visual-tyre-size-calculator 

Edited by Headinawayoffski

Speed reading.... Speed shown on phones or GPS devices is not calibrated. In my case, I ran three speedos. The car speedometer, an OBD2 speed and GPS speed. Speedo always read highest, GPS always read lowest.

After some time and an OS update to Android, however, That is no longer true. The OBD2 speed is now the lowest indicated.

GPS primary purpose is not providing speed across the ground. Any speed shown on a device via GPS is subject to tolerances and inaccuracies in the software/hardware system.

My opinion regarding MK1 Fabia, running a tyre size one bigger, wil be fine. The speedo will be slightly more accurate but still underreading.

J.

Funny because you can use a V-Box and the likes of a Garmin GPS device and get the same 20, 30, 40, 50 mph etc readings, 

and just drive at a Digital Speed Sign entering a town that displays your speed and see how that compares to your speedo, V-Box or GPS device.

PS

Even free apps for your smart phone for Cycling and other sports will show your speed, elevation etc on a map, speeds as you progress, change of speed etc, and accurately.

Edited by Headinawayoffski
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, john999boy said:

Maybe it's time to stick to the topic - and juvenile name calling doesn't make for adult reading!

Topic was on differences on changing from factory fit to a differing profile. I posted to let others in similar vehicle be aware of how I find the handling. To me ( handling is a lot better & more precise) on a shopping trolley. As for speeding- I do on the open road, but I now use my phone sat nav on dodgy places, and have found the speedo is very accurate. Sufficiently so , for me to stay a needle width below 30  or 40. I've been lucky in my years as I've always seen/been able to react or perhaps caught a van in sleep mode before the radar locked on.

As for Minor- perhaps he /she /it might like to know that there is an internet troll who thinks he would like to act as an expert witness and troll sites /posts like this . Another of his ideas is that he wants to cause problems in sites where making good progress is not a crime. I'm not saying Minor is said person ( often referred to on other road safety sites as an ex captain of submarines ) , but Minor's content reminds me of him.

If anything ,the other way round, as on the 60's I was looking for grip + wear ( bit of a paradox ,I know) as I was clocking up the miles , whereas these days ,5000miles between MOT is high.

20 hours ago, VWD said:

Topic was on differences on changing from factory fit to a differing profile. I posted to let others in similar vehicle be aware of how I find the handling. To me ( handling is a lot better & more precise) on a shopping trolley. As for speeding- I do on the open road, but I now use my phone sat nav on dodgy places, and have found the speedo is very accurate. Sufficiently so , for me to stay a needle width below 30  or 40. I've been lucky in my years as I've always seen/been able to react or perhaps caught a van in sleep mode before the radar locked on.

As for Minor- perhaps he /she /it might like to know that there is an internet troll who thinks he would like to act as an expert witness and troll sites /posts like this . Another of his ideas is that he wants to cause problems in sites where making good progress is not a crime. I'm not saying Minor is said person ( often referred to on other road safety sites as an ex captain of submarines ) , but Minor's content reminds me of him.

im not trying to troll, im mearly pointing out a few opinions, as its a forum, we discuss opinions. ether way, a forum is a place where you would assume the most novice of person will come and read, take as gospel and carry on about there business unknowingly doing something wrong, bad advice is bad advice

think ill jus shut up an ill leave it at that tbh. paranoia much?

1 hour ago, MiNoRcOnFuSiOn said:

im not trying to troll, im mearly pointing out a few opinions, as its a forum, we discuss opinions. ether way, a forum is a place where you would assume the most novice of person will come and read, take as gospel and carry on about there business unknowingly doing something wrong, bad advice is bad advice

think ill jus shut up an ill leave it at that tbh. paranoia much?

No paranoia here dude, you just need to keep your content relevant to the topic instead of mindlessly attacking others who are here to contribute.

By starting a general argument about right and wrong you're not helping the OP, we're all grownups here, we do know the difference.

Unless you're a qualified legal expert with the relevant credentials please confine your content to the topic as this 'contribution' from you has not been valuable in any way, shape or form.

This isn't reddit, it's not a forum for opinions, it's for helping people find solutions for problems with their Skoda Fabia Mk I. Nothing else.

On 10/21/2017 at 10:02, MiNoRcOnFuSiOn said:

look, guidelines are NOT laws.. there guidelines by a 3rd party. much the same as most employment "law"... its a guide, not mandate. the law is quite simple. 30mph is 30mph

This post and next one ,reminded me too much of a troll on another motoring site . Especially your advice about " you could quite easily trip speed cameras ", which also sounds so much like a bloke from Cumbria

I THINK I did mention right from start ,that I knew how close to accuracy my change had made. I've noticed ( and think I also said) ,I' ve  checked my speed against my GPS sat nav phone facility and I was amazed to see how accurate my speedo now is. Apart from the fact that my post was about tyre sizes so any other drift ( as one mod did mention) and other comments tends to drag the post into the confront able area ,and should be avoided.

My idea was to try and fathom why I should get seemingly better grip and ride on tyres that should not ( in theory) give me that advantage, NOT to swap insults/be insulted .

After half a century/2.5 Million( at least)on UK ( and a good few hundred thousand on African roads/in bush) roads, without any attention from the SCP,  I feel I’m in a position to preach, rather than be preached to . And before  I'm labelled as an old coffin dodger, I admit, that in 20/30/40 limits, I'm cautious with my speed below that of younger drivers, but that is down to experience . On the open road, I'm not known for being the last one in a line of cars.

Mods, might be time to either shut this down ( pity as it then looks as if pedantic bloke can hijack and get a post closed) or do the NZ thing and issue demerit points, as it seems that a few other posters share this view.

38 minutes ago, VWD said:

Mods, might be time to either shut this down ( pity as it then looks as if pedantic bloke can hijack and get a post closed) or do the NZ thing and issue demerit points, as it seems that a few other posters share this view.

I'm not too sure if you actually want this thread closing or not as that's a bit of a conflicting statement. As the OP, the choice is yours - just PM me. :thumbup:

FYI, if you had been a Freedom member then that also gives you control over your own threads and I wouldn't have had to ask for clarification.

John- thank you- however, if we start shutting down posts simply because trolls have got hold of them ,then they've won, and we've lost the right to debate. Might be a better process to defer to those who wish to discuss and gag/ remind those suspected of trolling of T & C before gagging.

The post was about Tyre size changes, not as per hijack, speed limits.

On ‎22‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 16:01, VWD said:

If anything ,the other way round, as on the 60's I was looking for grip + wear ( bit of a paradox ,I know) as I was clocking up the miles , whereas these days ,5000miles between MOT is high.

So - help to clarify please - are you saying that with your low current annual mileage, you've picked more, or less grippy tyres in the 65 profile?

What types/brands/models were/are both?

Edited by Wino

@MiNoRcOnFuSiOn - Everything you've said here from "The Highway Code is law" onwards is a waste of bandwidth, because it's founded on a misconception on your part. The HC is a guidebook, large parts of which are based on various Acts of Parliament, which are referenced by the relevant HC rules.

• Like 2

Ken- basicly ,short answer is -I don't know. I do know that the older tyres as per maker were decent quality as I was doing miles back then, and looking for miles per tyre as opposed to today, long tyre life.

What I do know is that with the different size on, I can throw car into corners with no tyre squeal a lot faster, and ride seems a lot more stable. It's not what I'd expect, hence my post.

OK, my quick take on it without getting embroiled in arguments.

I'm currently on oversized tyres (taller/wider) and have done so several times on various cars, mainly because it gives me choice of tread pattern e.g. 17" CrossClimates.  I've even upsized by 5% and had the speedo perfectly matching the GPS as close as human tolerances allow you to read. I always advise my insurer as I'm generally on different wheels too.

At MOT, no cars have caused advisories or any concern as they don't touch the bodywork (although the 5% ones came close on turning because of their extra width).

I've never known worse handling, mainly because you initially test the new fitment cautiously before exploring performance.  On refitting the originals I have sometimes noticed a worse drive, particularly on an Octavia which pitched a lot more on uneven road surfaces.  But, this was the 5%er and it's the same reason that mountain bike wheels range from 26" to 29" - the latter smoothing out the bumps better.

My android head unit has a handy speed warning feature in Waze so I know how my speedo display correlates with my GPS road speed.  As someone noted, unless you're using military spec GPS with more accuracy, the small errors in location can influence the GPS calculation for speed.  I guess long hills can too to some degree, so I always treat it as a guide and stay one notch below the relevant bar in critical locations.

For VWD: Body scarred in Nuneaton, heart very definitely somewhere else. ;)

Edited by Jeeves
Don't forget to tell your insurer.