F1’s Future

Ryeman

I’m just hoping that Chase Carey’s takeover of F1 from Bernie E doesn’t end with us literally watching an economical commercial success for TV advertisers but at the cost of true cutting edge design and development.

I’d hate to see an America style, formulaic oval racing come out of this ‘takeover’...........slowly.......the commercial imperative........ drip.  drip. drip

I fear the worst.:crying:

Not quite a roadside hotel topic?

Given theres a motorsport subsection in car chat ;)

But.. to be honest, f1 just aint really doing anything for me anymore. Watched a few bits of last couple of races / qualifying and i just couldnt get excited about anything..

They cant make it into nascar style oval race. The cars arent really designed for that - the aim being as high speed cornering and acceleration as possible with plenty top end for the straights. Oval takes all that away and it becomes who can flatout for the longest and not get hit by anyone else..

On UK Poverty TV (Licence payer TV) you are going to have Advert Breaks anyway, and when 'Highlight program's' only you could wait all day to watch and just before the airing you hear who won the race on Sky, BBC TV or Radio news or on other media.

10 minutes ago, mac11irl said:

Not quite a roadside hotel topic?

Given theres a motorsport subsection in car chat ;)

But.. to be honest, f1 just aint really doing anything for me anymore. Watched a few bits of last couple of races / qualifying and i just couldnt get excited about anything..

They cant make it into nascar style oval race. The cars arent really designed for that - the aim being as high speed cornering and acceleration as possible with plenty top end for the straights. Oval takes all that away and it becomes who can flatout for the longest and not get hit by anyone else..

With an America centric owner, with no F1 background in charge, I imagine he will prioritise American acceptance requiring many more competitors racing more ‘affordable’ cars.......quantity over quality, but it will be an incremental change starting with design parameters.

British cars were green, French cars were blue, German cars were yellow, American cars were white, and obviously Italian cars were red.....would Chase remember and value that European history?.

ps, sorry if it’s in the wrong spot....mods to move it?.

24 minutes ago, Headinawayoffski said:

On UK Poverty TV (Licence payer TV) you are going to have Advert Breaks anyway, and when 'Highlight program's' only you could wait all day to watch and just before the airing you hear who won the race on Sky, BBC TV or Radio news or on other media.

I have a com/tech ‘bundle’ George which makes it enjoyable rather than my having to record and play back.......commercial TV is bordering on an insult, to me.

On 21/10/2017 at 08:49, Headinawayoffski said:

Not true. I just watched the whole race live on C4 with no adverts.

• Like 1

F1's future is under review by the new owners and instead of it being run just for the grubby profits of CVC's shareholders and Bernie, Liberty actually claim to want to improve the product (racing) and how it is exploited on all forms of media.  Clearly they're in it to make money but they have made a lot of positive noises since buying in. Next year their should be an official F1 live stream so at least there will be a possible alternative to SKY.

I would have watched it as well if i had not fallen asleep.  Not being Derren Brown i had no idea that there was not going to be adverts on the commercial channel.

Adverts *just* before the formation lap, and then what seems like as soon as possible after the race ends (before the podium ceremony)

Compare that to RTL in Germany (when I saw it a few years ago, may be different now) they had advert breaks at regular times, but kept the racing "picture in picture" 

The USA networks also do that - side by side ads and racing.

I used to flick between Eurosport and RTL  because their F1 in-race advert schedules were not in sync so you could always see the race.

Edited by camelspyyder

IPTV or reddit's /r/motorsportsstreams/ is the best solution and what I use whenever I can be bothered to catch a live one. /r/MotorsportsReplays/ for most other times.

I only pay full price for rally these days. I'd like to, but not at the expected price, no sport is worth nigh on a month's wages.

@Ryeman - Er, Germany's national colour was originally white, and later changed to silver when Mercedes came out 2kg overweight in the 750kg formula era.

The USA's national colours remain, as they always have been, white with 2 wide dark blue stripes either side of the centreline.

Not sure when the white with blue stripes came in, but the American car that won the '21 French GP was all white.

The '60s Scarab and Eagle F1 cars (both American) were both blue - with white stripes.

Shelby Daytona Coupe - Blue with white stripes.

It seems US international race teams could choose either.

Edited by camelspyyder

Originally the USA cars were White with Blue chassis.

However all the modern colour photos of Duesenberg #12 (the French GP winner) show that it has been restored with the chassis painted black - I thought Vintage car guys were sticklers for detail?

Ah. Major trivia fact coming up. 

Which car has won the French GP and the Indy 500.

That very Duesenberg.

Jimmy Murphy, the GP winner bought the car #12 after the GP win, re-engined it with a MIller and then won the Indy 500 the next year as #35.

It has been restored as #12 but lives in the Indianapolis Speedway Museum.

Edited by camelspyyder
  • Like 1

Well Well.

That is not the only car to have done the double.

The Delage team built the type Y which won the French GP in '13 and Indy 500 in '14.

and the '15 Indy winner (Mercedes) almost did it - having come second in a Merc 1-2-3 in France.

Edited by camelspyyder

On ‎22‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 21:57, camelspyyder said:

. Next year their should be an official F1 live stream so at least there will be a possible alternative to SKY.

Didn't they also say that they wouldn't introduce it into areas that already had rights holders (i.e. SKY).  Still possible if only region blocked of course.

1 hour ago, io1901 said:

Didn't they also say that they wouldn't introduce it into areas that already had rights holders (i.e. SKY).  Still possible if only region blocked of course.

True but I don't watch pay-F1 anyway so I won't be using the official stream or SKY.