Newbie- give me some reassurance!

Just ordered my new Octavia, which I chose in a bit of a rush as my 11 year old Touran was stating to cost me what it was worth about every fortnight in repair bills, and I got a good deal via the Diesel Scrappage scheme.

I test drove the 1.4 petrol DSG, and absolutely loved it, but went for the 1.5 petrol DSG,   [a]  thinking it might sound a bit better for resale in a few years, and  the dealer could get it within the next decade!

Getting excited about  my first new new car for 15 years, I started googling and am a bit concerned as there are lots of comments about the reliability of DSG boxes. Also, irritatingly, the cheapest insurance quote goes up about 70 quid going from 1.4 to 1.5. Have I made a mistake? Should I see if I can change my mind and go for a manual after all/ the 1.4?

Please help ease my troubled mind!

Edited by john999boy
Removed the bold......
  • Like 1

I'm on my third DSG equipped Octavia in 5 years 

First did 126,000mls in 2 years

2nd did 122,000mls in 2 years 

Currently on 60,000mls in 10 months 

No problems to report 

As previously said I wouldn't go back to a manual

DSG is a great choice. You won’t be disappointed. 

The 1.5 will be a really good engine too. Depending on your needs, the 1.4 or 1.5 petrol is probably the pick of the range. 

DSG is a good choice, but see my 1.4 v 1.5 thread.  If you think it may be worth more you may be in for a nasty surprise.  While the 1.5 cost £300 more than the 1.4 after 42 months the Guaranteed Future Value was £800 less.  This is the main reason I ordered a 1.4.

I think the 1.5 DSG is a newer wet clutch 7 speed, whereas the 1.4 DSG is the old problem pledged dry clutch 7 speed.

I, too, read a lot of DSG failures on the dry clutch 7 speed. So I've gone for the bullet proof wet clutch 6 speed on the 2.0 TDI. Although I have to live with extra maintenance cost and worst fuel economy (compared to 1.6 TDI).

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, wyx087 said:

I think the 1.5 DSG is a newer wet clutch 7 speed, whereas the 1.4 DSG is the old problem pledged dry clutch 7 speed.

I, too, read a lot of DSG failures on the dry clutch 7 speed. So I've gone for the bullet proof wet clutch 6 speed on the 2.0 TDI. Although I have to live with extra maintenance cost and worst fuel economy (compared to 1.6 TDI).

Can you post a link to the information you have on this as I can find nothing on Google about whether it is a new design gearbox or not.

1 hour ago, wyx087 said:

There are more info on the golf 1.5 TSI: (search DSG) http://m.sgcarmart.com/articles/articleinfo.php?CT=r&AID=1119

Hmmmmmmm!!!! Not conclusive. Still I'll let you know I have a 1.5TSi DSG on order (should get it next week).

How will I find out which gearbox I have - will scanning with VCDS tell me?

I have the diesel engine and love my Octavia; though mine is a manual.  

I hear that you need be careful with the sharp edges and spikes should you feel the need to feel behind the glovebox or under the footwells; one guy needed 14 stitches to his hand because he felt the need to go feeling ;)

May have exaggerated the 14 stitches bit and the OP of the linked thread certainly exaggerated the spikes bit.

Edited by BNT1985

Thanks for all the replies and [mostly!] reassurance. Have to say the Skoda website is not at all clear about the differences and my knowledge of what goes under the bonnet is mainly limited to topping up the screen wash and oil, but the first I have heard about wet/dry clutches is this website!

Will let you know how I get on, but I am wondering about the extended warranty now just to be on the safe side

17 hours ago, Headinawayoffski said:

It has the 7 speed Wet Clutch DSG.

Have you not read a Brochure and looked at the spec of what you have ordered?

i'm asking on here because I cannot find any reference to the type of DSG fitted to the 1.5TSi.

Can you post a link?

No sorry i can not.  

Call or email Skoda UK Customer Services, or ask a Salesperson where you are buying from that knows where to get an answer if he was on the day off where they got a day to see the new models and drive them etc.

http://skoda.co.uk/about-us/contact-us 

Spoken like a man who has never contacted Skoda Customer Services.

Most sales staff sell cars and know nothing about specs,

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In that case I bow to your superior knowledge. Thank you.

The brochures are woefully short on this type of information.

Yes i downloaded one last night to link, 

and it just shows 7 speed DSG.   

" 7 Speed"  "Sequential Automatic".  RATHER RUBBISH INFORMATION  IMO.

As it was with the Kodiak Brochures they had errors regarding the DSG's and which or how many gears and that was with the 1.4TSI.

Just ask Skoda UK in writing and get a reply in writing, then you can maybe post the reply you receive and the experience of dealing with them in writing.

Then i can be sure that the CEO gets to see that by forwarding for his attention, the Official Dealerships and Customer Services and Brochures are crap.

Edited by Headinawayoffski

On 2017-10-21 at 23:08, Headinawayoffski said:

It has the 7 speed Wet Clutch DSG.

Have you not read a Brochure and looked at the spec of what you have ordered?

The info I got from a Dealer in Sweden is that the 1.5 TSI EVO in the Octavia will be paired with a dry clutch DSG7 but the Superb will get a new wet clutch. This tipped my choice to order the manual gearbox when ordering my 1.5 TSI (yesterday). If this info is wrong I'll be seriously ****ed because if its a wet clutch I woudl have gone for the DSG.

Can you provide some kind of link/photo of brochure/document that shows that the 1.5 TSI is paired with a wet clutch DSG7 and I will be eternally grateful :)

Edited by HaggeJr