POOR FUEL CONSUMPTION

Bought a 2016 Scout DSG 184 (4x4) Estate in April 2017 with 11k miles, now done 18k. Dissapointed with the overall fuel consumption which is only averaging 40mpg  long term. It does not seem to be getting better as mileage increases. I have owned various VAG diesels since 2004, but this is the worst. As comparison on similar journeys a previous Tiguan 4 motion 170 managed 45 ish & a V6 Audi Q5 36mpg. I have just done a trip to Edinburgh via motorway (80 indicated) & returned via A roads (55/60mph) & it only did 38 there & 39 back. This is on the computer reading which is usually optimistic so pretty poor? On mixed A & B roads during the week to /from work can manage 45 but only if you stick to 45-50mph. Any one else finding good or bad mpg's? I will raise this with the dealer if everyone else is getting 45-50mpg

Thanks, Stephen

Welcome.

What is the actual MPG you get from tank fill to tank fill and by the miles driven or miles per litre ?

ie how many litres get put in for how many miles?

Is this just you in the car or passengers , luggage etc?

Is it running the Factory Fitted tyres still, and what are they?

I have the same car and am getting very similar MPG out of mine, both the OBC and brim to brim tank calculations confirm this to within 1 or 2 mpg of each other. If I drive normally I get sub 40 mpg every time and that includes motorway trip sat at 85 with the CC on and AC off, drive like an old lady and I can get it to 45 and 50 at a push but that is at speeds below 55, drive it hard and its below 30mpg. I don't find it a quick car either but then again I don't find many cars that feel quick when I am used to riding bikes. I bought it as a reliable work horse for when I'm fishing and shooting and ferrying my dogs about and so far I can't complain about it's reliability, build quality or the way it drives apart from not very good MPG and being a bit slow. 

6 hours ago, wilbert77 said:

I have the same car and am getting very similar MPG out of mine, both the OBC and brim to brim tank calculations confirm this to within 1 or 2 mpg of each other. If I drive normally I get sub 40 mpg every time and that includes motorway trip sat at 85 with the CC on and AC off, drive like an old lady and I can get it to 45 and 50 at a push but that is at speeds below 55, drive it hard and its below 30mpg. I don't find it a quick car either but then again I don't find many cars that feel quick when I am used to riding bikes. I bought it as a reliable work horse for when I'm fishing and shooting and ferrying my dogs about and so far I can't complain about it's reliability, build quality or the way it drives apart from not very good MPG and being a bit slow. 

Thanks for your comments - agreed a good all round car & a great workhorse. I took a car in a covered trailer to Liverpool, returning with an empty trailer. Brimmed the tank & recorded 27 mpg the OBC said 28.5. Had the car re-mapped at 15k miles - it goes so much better now with around 200bhp+ a lot more torque, however economy no difference. If this is all to expect then OK but a huge difference to Skoda's quoted figures - dissapointing

Potentially the fact it's now a 200+bhp car than a standard 184? 

I'm looking at a DTUK box in the next year or so, for extra power/performance not economy; isn't that aspect of a map just a fallacy, surely more power=more diesel used? Or your map may have F-ed something up?

Edited by courty

20 minutes ago, courty said:

Potentially the fact it's now a 200+bhp car than a standard 184? 

I'm looking at a DTUK box in the next year or so, for extra power/performance not economy; isn't that aspect of a map just a fallacy, surely more power=more diesel used? Or your map may have F-ed something up?

I have had most of my previous cars re-mapped but would never use a 'tuning box'. A proper re-map downloads all the ECU programme, then a new modified map is uploaded having had many of the peramiters re tuned. My experience has shown more bhp, significantly more torque & providing the extra performance is not abused then expect better economy as the engine is working more efficiently. The Scout economy is actually slightly better since the re-map.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Octy0GG said:

Are you getting a lot of active regens?

They wouldn't help economy.

Yes the car seems to have at least 2 per week which is concerning. I am gathering information/facts before speaking to the Skoda dealership to try & avoid the 'Don't worry that's normal' attitude.

6 minutes ago, M16HEM said:

I have had most of my previous cars re-mapped but would never use a 'tuning box'. A proper re-map downloads all the ECU programme, then a new modified map is uploaded having had many of the peramiters re tuned. My experience has shown more bhp, significantly more torque & providing the extra performance is not abused then expect better economy as the engine is working more efficiently. The Scout economy is actually slightly better since the re-map.

Yes, but as Octy0GG states if you've got more dpf regens than usual potentially it could be something to do with the map. I'm getting a box so I can plug in and play rather than imprint the car, if I was getting a map I'd probably go with Revo as they seem to know their stuff.

10 minutes ago, POWYSWALES said:

IMG_20171020_132451.jpg

Recent trip from Newtown to Welshpool, week before I got 71mpg from Welshpool to Blackpool.

Average of 32mph from Newtown to Welshpool? Hope I don't ever come up behind you! :D

Mind you, there's a load of tractors on that road right now...and roadworks.

I'm guessing that's a return trip by the mileage and time?

BTW my 4x4 vRS is averaging about 34mpg long term. I blame DSG and 4x4 for that, nothing to do with driving style :notme:

1 hour ago, pist0nbr0ke said:

Average of 32mph from Newtown to Welshpool? Hope I don't ever come up behind you! :D

Mind you, there's a load of tractors on that road right now...and roadworks.

I'm guessing that's a return trip by the mileage and time?

BTW my 4x4 vRS is averaging about 34mpg long term. I blame DSG and 4x4 for that, nothing to do with driving style :notme:

Did you notice that TMWNA's average speed was 28mph for his 22mpg?

Probably doesn't get out of first gear, just loves the sound :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

RSConsumption.thumb.jpg.78c06e7aaf342c0de3e1838f59800e0e.jpg

this was a recent tank full with my normal commute to work with some trailer towing / short runs to the shops etc. (note average speed of only 60km/hr)  brim to brim consumption was 52.4l, 

this is not a 4x4, just fwd RS.

4 hours ago, Gerrycan said:

Did you notice that TMWNA's average speed was 28mph for his 22mpg?

Probably doesn't get out of first gear, just loves the sound :)

I did, and wondered if the car had spent lot of time idling? Warming up

before, and cooling down after being given death...if not, you need to put some effort in @themanwithnoaim

:biggrin:

2 hours ago, Gadget007 said:

this was a recent tank full with my normal commute to work with some trailer towing / short runs to the shops etc. (note average speed of only 60km/hr)  brim to brim consumption was 52.4l, 

this is not a 4x4, just fwd RS.

I also have a non-4x4 vRS manual and regularly achieve mpg similar to Gadet (>50mpg and towards the high-50s if taking it easy).

From my point of view the main contributor to fuel economy is the driver.

As you have had the car remapped do you think this is encouraging you to accelerate hard more often?

Also when you are cruising think about whether you are constantly on/off the accelerator pedal as this can hurt your fuel economy significantly.

10 minutes ago, Gabbo said:

From my point of view the main contributor to fuel economy is the driver.

Totally agree, driving style has a huge impact on fuel consumption.

33 minutes ago, Gadget007 said:

Totally agree, driving style has a huge impact on fuel consumption.

I was getting better or equal MPG from my remapped BMW 530d that was much quicker than the Octavia as it had over 100bhp more and roughly twice the torque and I drove it much faster too. Just think the 2.0d unit in the Octavia is quite thirsty for its power output. It is fairly quiet and smooth so a fair trade off. Now if I could get a BMW 3 or 5 series estate in 4x4 with raised ride height and the 3.0d engine in that would tick lots of boxes.

The problem with the Octy & many standard cars which manufacturers try to make "sporty" is the way they map the Accelerator pedal.

Instead of a nice linear Accelerator pedal which you can have with a bigger engine, they make the pedal very responsive (100% torque less than 50% pedal).

This makes it difficult to drive smoothly because pressing the pedal a few mms give a big leap in torque so if you aren't steady with the pedal you can hurt the fuel economy quite a lot.

I previously drove a 320d, same commute, same driving style & the fuel economy was perhaps a little bit worse than the Octy.

Of my previous cars, the Octy is the best fuel economy I've had even without the extra HP.

8 hours ago, pist0nbr0ke said:

I did, and wondered if the car had spent lot of time idling? Warming up

before, and cooling down after being given death...if not, you need to put some effort in @themanwithnoaim

:biggrin:

South east of england traffic I'm afraid & I don't do any motorway driving hence, the low average speeds.

I don't let the revs exceed 3k till I get to 80 on the oil temp but, *******s to letting it cool down !!!!

2 hours ago, themanwithnoaim said:

South east of england traffic I'm afraid & I don't do any motorway driving hence, the low average speeds.

I don't let the revs exceed 3k till I get to 80 on the oil temp but, *******s to letting it cool down !!!!

Nah, does it ever exceed 3k revs with an average speed like that? :tongueout:

• Haha 1

I managed an indicated 40mpg in my 245 on the way home from work today without really trying (normal mode, cc, 60mph). The numbers just kept climbing and climbing! Would have been mid 40's if I hadn't hit traffic :tongueout:. And yes it does still get driven properly when I'm not commuting lol

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Headinawayoffski said:

^^^ 

614 miles since it was filled up, so how many litres required to refill?

988km or 614miles  took 52.4l, and if you do the maths there is a discrepancy between indicated consumption and actual consumption