Spare wheel for directional tyres.

Spares are usually just Temp Fit items and not the same as the 4 on the car.

You need to slow down with the spare fitted until puncture repaired or tyre replaced.

If you have a like for like directional spare you have a 50 / 50 chance it will be for the side needed on.

I carry 2 spares in winter or on longer trips, covering bases, if needs must a Pair goes on to continue without need to reduce speed, 

and the puncture gets fixed ASAP if fixable.

I think in any circumstance a mini spare is a temp fit and needs special precautions.

having a single full size spare makes sense in more critical drives (i.e. I ordered our Octavia with that as we sometimes do 620km drive to parents in law through desolate places). If worried, I’d take a all season that can do both ways rotation. Again if that is difficult, do it with precautions.

i mean, if rubber is fresh you can run summer tires on snow. Not ideal, but you can manage...

2 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

I would think an asymmetric tyre would be Ok,  " Outside " written on the sidewall means where ever it goes on the car it will always be running in the right direction

If you wanted an asymmetric as a winter spare I'd go for a Uniroyal RS 3. A couple of mill extra tread on those like a winter tyre.

If you want to up the odds then fit a directional spare tyre for the near side.

You are more likely to get a puncture on the near side rear.

Or just buy asymmetrical tyres.

Thanks AG Falco

Edited by AGFalco
typo.

For the first car that I bought winter wheels and winter tyres for, I bought a set of 5 wheels and tyres mainly as that car came with 15" alloys and a spare steel 15" full sized spare, and I was fitting 14" winter wheels/tyres.  I also considered that buying a single replacement winter tyre would not always be easy in mid winter - and my wife needed that car to get to work, so also factored that thought into my decision making, which was sort of handy as near the end of that car's life with us, it ended up with a puncture that was considered not fixable - so that plan worked for me even although it took 6.5 years to prove its worth!

With my own car, I lived with the risk of losing a winter tyre, but never needed to deal with that, with my wife's next car, it came with 16" alloys and a 15" steel spare, so I was quite happy to buy only 4 winter alloys and winter tyres, with my next car, it came with a space saver and no room to fit a full sized spare wheel (big battery in wheel well!), so again I am living with only 4 winter wheels and tyres.

• 4 weeks later...

Why not buy five asymmetric all-season tyres the right size? They are available, then you shouldn't have to worry about it being different. Get another alloy (if fitted) and cancel any doubt.