COLUMBUS QUESTIONS

Hi there,

2 questions, may be sounded as rare though, regarding Columbus infotainment.

• While playing some audio files from USB flash drive  (via MDI)  some tracks do not display the white bar-line moving  with time while playback and the remaining time, but in the end of the time track  (end of bar-line) it shows a  "VBR"  sign and have not managed to understand what actually is. From the same album some other tracks do show the remaining time and white barline moving to the end of track..
  • Is it possible that album covers can be shown in screen while playing back files?

Thanks in advance for anything in mind shared.

It's a common issue with VBR tracks, it stands for "Variable Bit Rate" and not all hardware can figure out how much track has played.

The Columbus (at least the RNS-510 version) isn't able to show any album art either :(

Thanks guys,

Am I loading any tracks wrongly or information loaded incorrectly?

All the tracks are taken from the same source though some other files from the same artist/album are able to show track time...

So do not understand why different bit rate should exist among them.

As far as concerning the album covers, somewhere in the manual does refer this but it's not understandable enough...

Will try to attach the page regarding.

Unless you're ripping the tracks from CD, it's unlikely to be your fault some are VBR and others are CBR. If you're downloading them, it's down to whoever created them. You can convert from VBR to CBR but you'll lose audio quality...

Can't see anything in a RNS Columbus manual from 2012 about album art.

If you've accidentally found a MIB Columbus manual then there probably will be references to album art but it's not applicable to the RNS Columbus.

• Like 1

No album art sorry .had mine 7 year and fiddled to death with most things including coding..

You can code it for voice activation 

And remove VIM lock so you could watch dvds at 70mph (not legal of course )

And put speed cameras on the map 

About as Good as it gets really

Unless someone knows better

• 1 month later...
On 10/29/2017 at 15:11, gathy said:

No album art sorry .had mine 7 year and fiddled to death with most things including coding..

You can code it for voice activation 

And remove VIM lock so you could watch dvds at 70mph (not legal of course )

And put speed cameras on the map 

About as Good as it gets really

Unless someone knows better

Voice activation I suppose it needs to have a second mic as the only current one is occupied by the Bluetooth module  which module is already connected to the unit in the back.

As far as adding speed cameras, how is this done?

Microphone needs rewiring for voice control. Instead of going to the Bluetooth module it should go into the Columbus I think (from memory).

Speed cameras are a DB3 database which can be loaded into Personal Poi folder and the shown on the maps. No audible alert possible though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AkisVH said:

Voice activation I suppose it needs to have a second mic

1 hour ago, Rustynuts said:

Microphone needs rewiring for voice control. Instead of going to the Bluetooth module it should go into the Columbus I think (from memory).

For voice control the mic needs to go to the bluetooth unit via the Columbus: https://www.my-gti.com/1234/volkswagen-rns-510-microphone-connection-for-voice-control

• Like 2