P7s in the wet

10 hours ago, Goblin said:

I've only driven my Superb 5 miles on the P7s, and it was dry. So can't really comment on how it is with them.

Having got over the initial torque/wheel spin excitement, I treat the tyres with a  little bit of caution. I also realised when checking tyres that when I collected the car the tyre pressures were sitting at 2.8bar.

I've now dialled back to 2.5bar all round and I've no idea if this is making a difference or my 'respect' for the tyres is always at the back of my mind, but I'm finding the P7 grip in wet and dry (especially) is up to what I would expect. A bit noisier on some surfaces tho.

However, they will definitely be swapped out when the time comes - to what I don't know.  

There are at least four versions of the Pirelli P7s.

The original P7, P7 Cinturato, and the later P7 Cinturato Blue. Also there is a P7 Eco version. I'm wondering if everyone here has driven on the original P7s or whether anyone has tried the P7 Blues which get better reviews elsewhere?

Edited by snowathlete

My Sportline 280 only has 300miles on it at the moment so still in the run it period and even driving it fairly gently I'm not a fan of the P7s, they slip far too easily and that causes a groan from the passenger seat. I'll see if they improve as they continue to scrub in but if not I'll probably dump them and get some Michellin PS4Ss on there.

On ‎13‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 19:45, snowathlete said:

There are at least four versions of the Pirelli P7s.

The original P7, P7 Cinturato, and the later P7 Cinturato Blue. Also there is a P7 Eco version. I'm wondering if everyone here has driven on the original P7s or whether anyone has tried the P7 Blues which get better reviews elsewhere?

My SII was on original P7s, which were horrible - especially in the wet. The new SIII is on P7 Cinturatos and from the short time (350 miles) I've done on them so far, they feel much better / more assured. But that may be down to the fact that the originals had 3mm tread whereas the new ones are, well, new.

• Like 1

Last couple of days in my neck of the woods has been snow and slushy roads, so wasn't looking forward to the P7s in that. Surprised to say now after 5000 miles they seem to have stopped their tire spinning nonsense on right turns from a standing start. Decent braking in the wet too. As I said in an earlier post my tyres were pumped up to 2.8bar and dipping them back to 2.5bar (eco pressures) seems to have made a difference with a little more tread on the road. Lets hope the good behaviour continues.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ashmount said:

dipping them back to 2.5bar (eco pressures) seems to have made a difference

Very interesting. I hadn’t considered that despite seeing your earlier post. I might try that out. What size rims are you on?

Terry - 19" Vega

Some reviews (not here) suggest the P7s are a harder rubber compound with less give in them on the side walls.

I therefore looked at the tyre pressures on the petrol flap, which range for 19" from 2.5bar for what I consider a normally loaded car through the same load for eco mode at 2.8bar and finally 2.9/3.2 bar for a fully loaded wagon. I never take these as gospel and experiment to see what gives me the best mix of ride/grip/wear depending on the make of tyre.

On  P7s 2.8 bar gave a harsh ride and the wheel spin. Definitely for a well loaded car.  I tried 2.3 bar for 'normal' driving but felt every wrinkle in the road and it didn't solve, (for want of a better word) the wheel spin. They also looked really soft.

So I've settled on the recommended 2.5- 2.6bar and it seems to work well. 

Out in stinky weather this evening and just back. Had to come to a rapid halt behind a car which suddenly decided it needed to do a right turn  (for the record ACC worked well) and P7s did the business. Rapid stop in a short distance - no skidding. 

If I were a jurist in a remake of the Twelve Angry Men and the P7 Cinturato was on trial, I think I might reconsider my earlier guilty verdict...:wondering:

FYI - my earlier post suggested 2.5 bar was the eco setting - not so,  2.5 is for normal load on 19".

• Like 1

Hi all. 

Bit of a "I'm very new post" however looking over this thread I feel quite strongly about Pirelli. 

I have had many tyres in the past in many sizes and brands. I used to play with Pug 306 gti's and Rallyes doing the odd hill climbs, and then have had about 7 different company cars ranging from BMW M sports to Audi A3 S lines to Volvo s60 and XC60. Through that time its safe to say i have tried most brands. Oddly enough Falken tyres being the very worst!!

After many factory fitted options I always come back to my first choice between Michelin PS range or a Goodyear. 

I had a Volvo s60 that came on Pirelli tyres and I had nothing but trouble with them, I had two blow outs and three punctures, in the three years i owned the car. I had the rears getting flat spots, and I found the compound to be so hard that in the cold and wet it was pretty sketchy. I also got the thumpy wheel spin. I even spent the extra getting P Rosso variant and was so dissapointed. This set also got flatspots. I forced my company to change the tyres to a tyre of my choice and opted for the pilot sports, never had a problem from that point on. 

My current loan XC60 has a Pirelli set on it and again coming from a decent set of Michelins to these has just reinforced how bad they really are.

To sum up I just think Pirelli tyres are poor. 

The Skoda 67 plate Superb sportline I pick up Monday (eeek I am so excited) has Bridgestone Potenza's on it (groan) which although is better than a Pirelli, I find them loud for road noise, hard in compound and very squealy under no real cornering load. Again i also find the wet grip to be less effective. As soon as they wear I will be going back to either a trusty Michelin PS range or a Goodyear Eagle F1 style. 

Preferably I will go Michelin. I find the level of grip, confidence and sidewall strength to be brilliant. I also think the road noise is suppressed very well too. They never suffer from flat spots and although they are branded as a performance summer tyre, the level of grip in the wet is unreal. IMO they are VERY hard to beat. Just make sure you get the high load variant as the superb is packing a fair bit of timber in the weight department. :)

When you cr*py Pirelli runs out I urge you to try, you won't be dissapointed.   

Edited by matty306
Accedental
  • Thanks 1