Sonax bsd

valvedoctor46

Hey all. I'm wondering whether many people have used sonax bsd as a spritz when M/c compounding/polishing their cars. Reason I'm asking is that I have noticed a small amount of hollogramming when using this product as a spritz. I have a just m/c compounded (megs 105) then M/c polished (megs 205) two doors on my daughters black fabia sport. All looked really well till later on when the sun shone on it and showed up a small amount of hologramming. FYI there was no holograms before. I'm thinking it was the bsd I used to spritz my pad, as I got them before on my black Vrs after topping up the gloss with bsd but not wiping it off quick enough. Big mistake.

It’s quite possible the BSD has caused this. It is, technically, a spray sealant as opposed to a pure detailer. 

I’ve not used a spritz when machining my car. It may be worth sticking to water to give you more time to work the polish. 

The original BSD is very grabby and also needs to be applied out of direct sunlight and/or on warm panels otherwise it doesn't seem to 'break down' as well and you end up with a cloudy mess.  If that happens then a quick spritz with water and buff with a mf cloth will help.  The best way I've found to apply it is to use it as a drying aid; so a gentle pat down of each panel then apply BSD when you still have some surface water.  I also use 2 MF cloths, one to wipe over the panel and one to buff/finish. 

The trade off with hit and miss application is protection that is very similar to a last stage product. 

The Sonax Turbo Detailer is meant to offer the same protection but be less viscose and easier to apply.

However, I took advantage of a Euro Car Parts offer and bought a job lot of BSD.  As I didn't think the Bilt Hamber QD was up to much and was just sitting in my garage I decided to mix it with some BSD and it's the best QD I've ever used.   It makes the BSD much easier to apply, you get the same protection and it helps bring out the dull business grey metallic flake pop.   Downside is that it would work out pretty damn expensive to keep using this hybrid, once I've ran out :-(   

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys for the replies. A quick update. I've just machine compounded and machine polished my friends metallic blue BMW. I used chemical guys pad conditioner as a spritz if needed and I can't rate it highly enough. When I examined my efforts in the sunlight, there is no hologramming  whatsoever. Job done. No more Sonax BSD as a spritz for me.

On 24/10/2017 at 15:30, valvedoctor46 said:

Hey all. I'm wondering whether many people have used sonax bsd as a spritz when M/c compounding/polishing their cars. Reason I'm asking is that I have noticed a small amount of hollogramming when using this product as a spritz. I have a just m/c compounded (megs 105) then M/c polished (megs 205) two doors on my daughters black fabia sport. All looked really well till later on when the sun shone on it and showed up a small amount of hologramming. FYI there was no holograms before. I'm thinking it was the bsd I used to spritz my pad, as I got them before on my black Vrs after topping up the gloss with bsd but not wiping it off quick enough. Big mistake.

What is `M/c compounding/polishing`?

On 13/11/2017 at 09:56, valvedoctor46 said:

Thanks guys for the replies. A quick update. I've just machine compounded and machine polished my friends metallic blue BMW. I used chemical guys pad conditioner as a spritz if needed and I can't rate it highly enough. When I examined my efforts in the sunlight, there is no hologramming  whatsoever. Job done. No more Sonax BSD as a spritz for me.

What is `hologramming`?