Phonebox retrofit

Hello all, 

Picked up my brand new Octavia Friday, and noticed it didn't have the wireless charging "phonebox" installed. This isn't an option in Australia, however all the demo models in the dealer have it fitted so I assumed it was standard. Skoda Australia explained this was because the demo models were pre-week 23 build, mine is a post week 23, and this was removed, or only on the others because they were overseas models brought in early as demos. 

Anyway, wondering if it's available to retrofit. I understand the antenna part requires a lot of work, but I'm only interested in the charging. I'm guessing it replaces the small cubby with a different base? 

Does anyone have a part number? 

Thanks, 

Joe

• 1 month later...
On 07/12/2017 at 10:23, JohnnyType2 said:

it doesnt go on sale until 2018,

does carplay not work over bluetooth? or does that depend on the headunit?

There is a Wireless Carplay, but Skoda don't support it. I think it's only on a few BMW models at the moment.

8 hours ago, petecollier said:

I may have to give that a go, price permitting. It does mean I'm finally going to have to risk my sanity trying to get at the fuse box behind the glovebox though. LHD would be so much easier...

Its easy just dont be afraid to whack it.

• 2 months later...

89 euros  but it does say it works with s6 s7 and s8 

Can't help thinking  a normal wireless charger in that box would do the same job for less money

this is interesting. Didn't have wireless charging on our phones when we ordered the car, which we picked up 2 weeks ago. Wife received her new phone on weds and wants to play with wireless charging.....

Even if we don't get this its provided decent inspiration for ways of getting power to the back. (piggy back fuses in the fuse box or inline connector on the back of the 12v socket by the gear stick?)

Edited by Robbijay

On my upgrade list for the near future, a nice thin QI charger in the phonebook with wiring to the fusebox, going to measure the sizes as my big Plus size iPhone rests on the ridges of the phonebox so won't need anything to hold the phone still with. Does the phone have to touch the charge pad or can there be a gap? TBH it'll be used mostly by other people as my phone will plugged in to the CarPlay once I've sorted that :) If I end up with a smaller phone (I'm waiting to see what Apple do in September as the X is only offered in boring colours) I will find a right angle charger and wire the CarPlay USB to the phonebox. Right now I am considering unplugging it out of the clip and running an extension under the trim to the centre cubby so I can have CarPlay with no visible wires, then I can use the USB under the climate panel as a spare charger.

Edited by SashaGrace

Im running an s7 with a right angle plug and a rubber case and that doesn't quite fit flat in the box. I have seen a q charger flat mat but can't find any dimensions for it.  it looks like it might fit but I worry that if you have to cut it you risk cuttting the wire loops embedded in it.

I know the phone fits without the cable. 

https://boxed2.co.uk/ex-pro-wireless-qi-power-charger-thin-non-slip-pad-for-nokia-lumia-920-lumia-820-google-nexus-4-5-samsung-galaxy-s3-i9300-s4-i9500-s5-note-2-ii-n7100-note3-iii-n9000-n9005-htc-8x-droid-dna-lg-dil-lte2-bc252b-black?language=en&currency=GBP&gclid=CjwKCAiAlL_UBRBoEiwAXKgW5x6XrOTXnTh25y3FefQD5ZKKnBBPvRnHEiaboxF75aGvl3q4uWLB3BoC9F8QAvD_BwE

Edited by maul
Link
  • Like 1

On 2/23/2018 at 14:22, SashaGrace said:

On my upgrade list for the near future, a nice thin QI charger in the phonebook with wiring to the fusebox, going to measure the sizes as my big Plus size iPhone rests on the ridges of the phonebox so won't need anything to hold the phone still with. Does the phone have to touch the charge pad or can there be a gap? TBH it'll be used mostly by other people as my phone will plugged in to the CarPlay once I've sorted that :) If I end up with a smaller phone (I'm waiting to see what Apple do in September as the X is only offered in boring colours) I will find a right angle charger and wire the CarPlay USB to the phonebox. Right now I am considering unplugging it out of the clip and running an extension under the trim to the centre cubby so I can have CarPlay with no visible wires, then I can use the USB under the climate panel as a spare charger.

ive got a QI magnetic charger and my case has the QI magnetic built in so they clamp together snugly and the charger is about 5mm thick and would easily fit in the tray, unfortunately the S8+ is 5mm too big :crying:

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. How big is an S8+? My iPhone 7 Plus fits in the phonebox very snugly with a case on and very nicely without a case on. I’ve decided to invest in a QI plug in for my phone as my other half has had wireless charge for a while being a former Android user and is finally over here on the dark side with me at last with an iPhone 8. I never bothered before, but it is handy so I’ve got it on mine as neatly as it can be done :)

Interesting. My RS169 MY18 hatchback has the phonebox. The salesperson told me that it didn't come with phonebox when I bought it. I saw the wireless charging icon greyed out on my Columbus so took him at his word. then when I put my phone in the tray it started charging and the icon lit up. I'm not convinced that it improves reception though.

Edited by puhleese

6 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

Thanks for the info. How big is an S8+? My iPhone 7 Plus fits in the phonebox very snugly with a case on and very nicely without a case on. I’ve decided to invest in a QI plug in for my phone as my other half has had wireless charge for a while being a former Android user and is finally over here on the dark side with me at last with an iPhone 8. I never bothered before, but it is handy so I’ve got it on mine as neatly as it can be done :)

with my xvida case [the only case on the market that allows wireless charging while fitted] its about 5mm to big to get in the glove box. the case and charger are magnetic and well worth the money they are also the only company to sell curve tempered glass for the S8 edge style phones. I bought the car charger and the phone sticks to it like gorilla glue. 

https://www.xvida.com/collections/p2-charging-car-docks

Edited by JohnnyType2
  • Like 1

Inbay have a weird way of doing business. The skoda qi phonebox is available only in germany right now. Managed to order it with the help of a friend who lives there. 

I must say that the phonebox itself is very nice built and is as easy to install as they show in the video.

It work quite ok too. You just have to get a grippy phone cover, if you like spirited driving, or the phone will move about in the phonebox and it will stop charghing and start again and so on...

I've got an s7 and it charges fine through my case wirelessly I have a Samsung wireless charger but it's a  bit of a faff if you dont get it straight on the charger block it doesn't charge. I suspect unless I have something to hold it straight in the box (foam pads etc) the same is going to happen.