Skoda Octavia USB Car Stick

cagey

I have a new Skoda Octavia purchased in September 2017 which has an Amundsden Sat Nav installed and in the handbook it refers to a USB Car Stick which I thought was just a standard dongle in which you put a data SIM card to allow connection to the Internet from the car without using your phone. However the dongle did not work and Skoda Customer Services said there must be something wrong with the dongle and to go back to the supplier. However I have used this dongle in other devices and it has worked fine so the supplier said it must be the car's USB connection. From internet research it would appear you have to have a Skoda Car Stick but I cant seem to find anyone in the UK that can supply one. Does anyone out there know about this.

Seems ridiculous that the car's system will not recognise other dongles. Simply Not Clever!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Is it an EE dongle? I’ve been trying to use my EE iPhone to connect to skoda since getting my car with no joy. It connects fine using the house WIFI or another network, but not EE. I’ve been on to Skoda and EE but no resolution. Not very impressive.

No it is a Huawi dongle with a Three data SIM. I have had a reply from Skoda customer services eventually, initially they said they did not support other dongles but did not tell me what they did support. After getting a little annoyed with them, Skoda informed me you have to buy the Skoda car stick reference 000051409C from Skoda for £130 and insert your data SIM in that! Simply not clever. Have not yet tried to purchase from my local dealer as having difficulty justifying the expense.

£130 for the stick and then more on top for a data sim....ouch.  I’ll hold out and hope that Skoda will sort the issue I have using EE but looking at VW/Audi forums it seems a common problem.

I went through Briskoda parts as suggested and apparently the part Nr is 000051409F and cost £120. Decided to go for it as I have a data SIM already.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The part supplied by Skoda for me described as a "car stick" is in fact a mobile wifi from Huawei E5577C. Works a treat and delighted with it and my new Octavia. Full Model number E5577Cs-321, not with a Skoda part number though. Skoda customer care going over and above my expectations.

On 01/12/2017 at 17:21, DickB said:

The part supplied by Skoda for me described as a "car stick" is in fact a mobile wifi from Huawei E5577C. Works a treat and delighted with it and my new Octavia. Full Model number E5577Cs-321, not with a Skoda part number though. Skoda customer care going over and above my expectations.

The Car Stick is supposed to plug into the USB port by gear stick and will then share the connection with the head unit and allow for the car to become a Wi-fi hotspot. If that Huawei mobile Wi-fi device was sold to you as a car stick, you were missold.

31 minutes ago, DickB said:

Ummm, actually it was supplied by Skoda at no cost. Superb customer service in my circumstances.

This is the actual car stick. 000051409c.jpg

Fair enough that you're happy with what you've been supplied, but it's not technically correct that Skoda described this to you as a car stick.

81gg2aNoE2L._SX524_.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I gave up with the Skoda Car stick did not appear to work that well and I could not connect my phone to it. Having contacted Skoda customer services they advised that I would not be able to connect the phone to it, which I found hard to believe, as (like Wg100 said) it should make the car into a mobile WiFi connection. 

I have purchased the Huawei wifi modem E5577C and this works well and I can connect my phone to it.  Thanks to DickB for the recommendation.

57 minutes ago, cagey said:

I gave up with the Skoda Car stick did not appear to work that well and I could not connect my phone to it. Having contacted Skoda customer services they advised that I would not be able to connect the phone to it, which I found hard to believe, as (like Wg100 said) it should make the car into a mobile WiFi connection. 

I have purchased the Huawei wifi modem E5577C and this works well and I can connect my phone to it.  Thanks to DickB for the recommendation.

You would have to go into the car settings to enable the car wifi hotspot. You wouldn't be able to connect directly to the Car Stick.