2WD vs AWD rear suspension

Hi

I am thinking about buying a Scout but I have seen several comments about the suspension on an Octavia being rather uncomfortable at the rear. I have also heard the 2WD rear suspension uses torsion bars but AWD uses a multi link system.

Can anyone confirm whether the above is correct and has anyone driven both and can comment on the smoothness and road comfort of the two versions.

I am after a smooth driving estate or SUV for local use, long distance and it will need to navigate rough tracks and go into grassy field all year round. My wife has a Yeti and I am not sure I wast a Superb mainly due to size as we have some very narrow lanes near me.

Thanks 

As said, the 4x4 has multilink suspension (as do the higher power 2WD cars like the 1.8tsi and vRS) Mine has none of the issues that the torsion link cars complain about. It is still not the most sophisticated ride but it does the job quite well.

11 hours ago, R1100 said:

Hi

I am thinking about buying a Scout but I have seen several comments about the suspension on an Octavia being rather uncomfortable at the rear. I have also heard the 2WD rear suspension uses torsion bars but AWD uses a multi link system.

Can anyone confirm whether the above is correct and has anyone driven both and can comment on the smoothness and road comfort of the two versions.

I am after a smooth driving estate or SUV for local use, long distance and it will need to navigate rough tracks and go into grassy field all year round. My wife has a Yeti and I am not sure I wast a Superb mainly due to size as we have some very narrow lanes near me.

Thanks 

Top end engines/trim spec 2WD use multilink....AWD use multilink...

I wouldn't say that the ride is harsh or even that firm on the scout but when going over speed bumps you can feel that the back end is much firmer than the front. Great at towing and putting big heavy loads in the boot.

On 10/27/2017 at 12:35, flybynite said:

It is still not the most sophisticated ride but it does the job quite well.

With complete & utter respect for your opinion, I spent 3-1/2 years in a 1.4TSI Elegance (now SE L) & the rear torture beam suspension can only be described as a heaping great pile of Hotspurs, its actually ****ter than ****

Edited by themanwithnoaim
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, themanwithnoaim said:

With complete & utter respect for your opinion, I spent 3-1/2 years in a 1.4TSI Elegance (now SE L) & the rear torture beam suspension can only be described as a heaping great pile of Hotspurs, its actually ****ter than ****

Errrm! You don't like it do you?  ;)

I'll find out within the next few days; I wonder if it's worse in the 1.5TSi DSG Hatch I am getting to replace a 2.0TDi DSG Estate.

Is a lighter car likely to make this more or less noticeable?

8 hours ago, themanwithnoaim said:

Having driven one myself I would quite agree, but in that post above I was talking about mine which is 4x4 and has the multilink suspension. It has none of the problems of the torsion beam, but I would not call it a sophisticated ride either.

With complete & utter respect for your opinion that is :biggrin:

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, R1100 said:

Hmm. Makes we re consider whether I want an Octavia now?

Ignore the banter :biggrin: From your original post I would say the Scout would be a good fit. I had a very long drive in a Scout but decided on a non-Scout 4x4 version because it is a better fit for what I need.

The Scout was good on the motorway and covers distance well, should be better than a Yeti in that respect. It should do as well as the Yeti on the rough stuff given the right tyres, maybe even better depending on the age of the Yeti as the Octy may have a later generation of Haldex which is worth having.

If the Octy has the inside capacity you need with the outside size of car you like there are not a lot of others that have that, especially with a mild off road capacity.

19 hours ago, R1100 said:

Just been looking at several Scout reviews.  Still very tempted.

Does the 2016 Scout have sat nav and Xenon lights?  I will be looking for an auto which i think has the 181bhp engine.

Thanks

I am sure Xenons were an option, not standard.

I believe it came with the Amundsen unit which has nav. The 2016 brochure said it also came with Cruise, auto lights wipers and mirrors.

There are not many DSG (184ps) Scouts about and fewer will have been specc'd with xenon as it was not a cheap option. Will be a rare car but good if you find one.

I think Xenons will be essential as I do a lot of night country driving and I think the Yeti's Xenon lights are great so don't want to go back to halogen again. The lights on my Freelander are complete carp even with uprated bulbs

I have just uprated the bulbs in the headlights and it has made a huge difference. I do quite a bit of driving on country roads with no street lights etc. What where poor to average lights are now quite good. Not as good as xenon lights but £40 for 4 new bulbs is a fraction of the price.

21 minutes ago, wilbert77 said:

I have just uprated the bulbs in the headlights and it has made a huge difference. I do quite a bit of driving on country roads with no street lights etc. What where poor to average lights are now quite good. Not as good as xenon lights but £40 for 4 new bulbs is a fraction of the price.

which bulbs did you use?

• 2 weeks later...