Dash cam

Ifzal

I have a Garmin 55 - more than just a dashcam, it has lane departure, speed warnings and speed camera warnings, alerts you when the queue of traffic starts moving again.

You can also get a parking mode cable - it constantly records even when the vehicle is parked.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/car-accessory-reviews/garmin-dash-cam-55-review/

On 28/10/2017 at 18:08, Danbury_Collins said:

I have a Garmin 55 - more than just a dashcam, it has lane departure, speed warnings and speed camera warnings, alerts you when the queue of traffic starts moving again.

You can also get a parking mode cable - it constantly records even when the vehicle is parked.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/car-accessory-reviews/garmin-dash-cam-55-review/

Which is very handy for all the yound mums with kids in the car who like to text/read texts  whilst in a queue of traffic. Cars in front move off, mums still texting............................or putting lippy on 

Hi Ifzal

Might not be in your budget (bought mine a while ago, no idea about current price), but I have the RAC03. It fits over the existing rear view mirror and includes speed camera alerts (update database regularly via micro SD).

Pro: you don't have to remove it every time you leave the car or risk some scrote breaking a window to steal it (it's completely impossible to tell it's a dashcam unless you are staring directly at it). It also gives audible alert for speed cameras, which AFAIK none of the Skoda map sets do, even if they give the visual warning. It has lane departure warning and car in front too close warning too, though I haven't really played with these. Night vision seems fine, though I haven't compared it with others which may be better.

Con: you lose the rear view mirror dimmer. It's my first winter with the unit so not yet entirely sure how much of a problem that will be, but so far not too big an issue. It's also pretty big, which is fine for my Superb, but maybe not for the Octy - you would risk catching it every time you move the sun-blind if there is not enough clearance. Some people think it chimes too much (lane departure, car in front too close etc) but I haven't found this a problem and you can turn them off if you do.

Overall highly recommended - maybe a trawl around the internet might reveal discounts / second hand. Good luck whatever you choose.

• 2 weeks later...

Vantrue N1 is awesome. 

Be careful buying a dashcam with GPS. If you have a bump and pass the footage to your insurance company they will have access to your speed etc. This can void a claim or turn the table against you. 

3 minutes ago, PeteJ80 said:

Vantrue N1 is awesome. 

Be careful buying a dashcam with GPS. If you have a bump and pass the footage to your insurance company they will have access to your speed etc. This can void a claim or turn the table against you. 

if you turn the speed display off they can't..............

Edited by Auric Goldfinger

21 hours ago, PeteJ80 said:

Vantrue N1 is awesome. 

Only if you give them the footage. The speed could be calculated from the footage using GCSE Maths/Physics (speed = distance / time) anyway.

If you have a non-fault accident then you're unlikely to need the footage anyway (i.e. getting rear ended)

If you have an accident where you're at fault then there's no point giving the insurance co your footage even if you weren't speeding.

If you have an accident where it would normally go 50/50 (i.e. accident on a roundabout) then your speed is less likely to be an issue.

If you binned your car on a b-road (no third parties involved) then I doubt the insurance company would request your dashcam footage. Even if they did you might not be required to give it to them.

21 hours ago, PeteJ80 said:

Vantrue N1 is awesome. 

I take the point Pete, but I use my dash-cam mainly as protection against the scammers who cause you to rear-end them then claim £££ for whiplash etc etc etc. I'm not really heavy on the right boot so speed not too much of a concern in truth. I like mine because I don't need to remember to unplug / remove after every journey. If you weren't staring straight at it (perhaps even if you were) you wouldn't know it was there.

Probably a bit off topic now - apologies to the OP.

• 1 month later...

Hardwiring is best done to the fusebox, via a hardwire kit. This will usually involve a 12v to 5v stepdown converter and can be connected to a spare slot in the fusebox or more easily by a fusetap. There are loads of threads on here about it.

Back on topic, I have just fitted the Viofo A119s v2 to my wife's car. It has all the operations you need like parking mode, GPS, speed, lane warnings etc, all of which can be turned on or off, a screen for playback, and good HD video quality day and night. Most important for me is that it is quite discreet and mainly hidden from the driver position, and also quite difficult to see from the outside. I got one from China via a UK eBay supplier (so no customs issues) in less than 14 days with a hardwire kit and CPL filter for under 90 quid. I am very pleased with it.

I believe you only need a front facing camera as if someone rear ends you it usually is settled in your favour anyway.  It is the aforementioned scammers or someone driving badly in your current direction that are the biggest risks in my experience. 

Adam

Edited by adamal