Winter Tyres

Expatman

Winter tyres on steel rims with RIF Skoda covers put on today while mild enough to do comfortably. Got time down to 45 mins for all four wheels; although it took longer to clean the summer alloys, check and store them for the winter. Definitely a bit noisier than the Goodyear Efficientgrips but the Nokians are still quieter than the Cinturatos on my Mk1 Yeti. Strangely the Nokians seem a bit quieter on my new Yeti than the Mk1, can't think why unless there was some suspension mods sometime between 2102 and 2017 I don't know about.

Anyone else swapped yet or waiting for the cold weather to bite?

This used to be my yearly ritual with the Yeti, but I opted for a set of Cross Climates, which have served me well thus far.

I did however take advantage of the sunshine today to swop my SEAT Toledo's OEM 17" wheels / tyres for a set of 15" Continental winter tyres / steel rims. Much improved ride comfort (215/40/17 Vs 185/60/15):thumbup:

Likewise spent longer cleaning the alloys (in preparation for storage) than on fitting the wheels.

4 degrees on the way home tonight, so may have picked a good time for the changeover:thumbup:

Used to be my yearly ritual too.

Used to swap over to a spare set of steelies or alloys with winter tyres.

But only recently changed to CrossClimates on the standard alloys.

My fave winter tyres were Vredestein Snowtracs. They never let me down even through some pretty deep snow on the North York Moors.

Edited by Jon TDI

Perhaps I should have added that with new tyres on my 6 month old Yeti and 6mm on the Nokians can't justify refitting with CrossClimates. Eventually I will switch to CrossClimates when summer tyres need replacing, accepting the performance compromise in both summer and winter.

Edited by Expatman

2 hours ago, Expatman said:

Perhaps I should have added that with new tyres on my 6 month old Yeti and 6mm on the Nokians can't justify refitting with CrossClimates. Eventually I will switch to CrossClimates when summer tyres need replacing, accepting the performance compromise in both summer and winter.

Quite understandable - I switched to Cross Climates when the orignally supplied Pirelli P Zero's were down to 2.5mm. I did have a decent set of 16" steel rims / winter tyres, but managed to offset some of the cost of the Cross Climates by selling them (on here) to a chap with an Octavia Scout.

I've had x3 Yeti's now (1.2 TSi, 110 BHP 2WD TDi and current 140 BHP 4x4)  and can't say I've noticed any major deficit in either summer (or winter) performance between summer / winter tyres and the Cross Climates. The Cross climates are also proving generally quieter than the previously fitted summer tyres and are wearing evenly (5-6 mm remaining after ~16k miles / 11 months).

They weren't especially cheap, although an offer on 4 tyres from Cost-co softened the blow to a degree.

A famnily member has used the Goodyear equivalent (Vector 4 Seasons) and rates these highly.

As with dedicated Cold  Weather tyres, is there a stipulation with the Michelin Cross Climates that they will lose their effectiveness in cold weather once the tread depth has reached 4mm or below? 

Depending on the rubber your using (I use Nokian WR SUV's G2's on the Volvo) and try to rotate and manage until the "advised" depth level is reached toward the end of the season, then just run the tyres out over the summer (I tend to ditch my tyres at 2mm any way.)

Never had a problem using them all year, and they coped very well with 40°+ temps in Italy. Obviously all tyres are different, but I've been using Nokian for the last 15 years like this without problems and all the "scare" stories of doom and "winters wear out in 100 miles" if you use them in summer  ....

Hope it helps :)

Edited by TruckbusUK

3 hours ago, pinkpanther said:

Quite understandable - I switched to Cross Climates when the orignally supplied Pirelli P Zero's were down to 2.5mm. I did have a decent set of 16" steel rims / winter tyres, but managed to offset some of the cost of the Cross Climates by selling them (on here) to a chap with an Octavia Scout.

I've had x3 Yeti's now (1.2 TSi, 110 BHP 2WD TDi and current 140 BHP 4x4)  and can't say I've noticed any major deficit in either summer (or winter) performance between summer / winter tyres and the Cross Climates. The Cross climates are also proving generally quieter than the previously fitted summer tyres and are wearing evenly (5-6 mm remaining after ~16k miles / 11 months).

They weren't especially cheap, although an offer on 4 tyres from Cost-co softened the blow to a degree.

A famnily member has used the Goodyear equivalent (Vector 4 Seasons) and rates these highly.

I have heard that CrossClimates are quiet with a comfortable ride and that's why I was favouring them when time came for a change. However now hearing good things about Goodyear 4 Seasons, have you had chance to compare your CrossClimates with the Goodyear's for ride and road noise?

4 hours ago, Fin69 said:

As with dedicated Cold  Weather tyres, is there a stipulation with the Michelin Cross Climates that they will lose their effectiveness in cold weather once the tread depth has reached 4mm or below? 

I seem to recall reading Michelin were advocating running tyres down to legal minimum tread depth, as they'd demonstrated grip was unchanged, despite wearing tread (at least for their own range of tyres).

I'd based my current practice of replacing tyres at 2-3 mm based upon an article (? authored by the AA/RAC), which clearly demonstrated grip fell in direct relation to remaining tread (and was around 50% at 2-3mm).

I'm mobile currently, but will update when I've regained access to my laptop

1 minute ago, pinkpanther said:

I seem to recall reading Michelin were advocating running tyres down to legal minimum tread depth, as they'd demonstrated grip was unchanged, despite wearing tread (at least for their own range of tyres).

I'd based my current practice of replacing tyres at 2-3 mm based upon an article (? authored by the AA/RAC), which clearly demonstrated grip fell in direct relation to remaining tread (and was around 50% at 2-3mm).

I'm mobile currently, but will update when I've regained access to my laptop

https://www.michelin.com/eng/media-room/press-and-news/michelin-news/Sustainable-development/Performance-up-to-the-legal-wear-limit-of-1.6mm

Not sure what to make of this as over the years I'm pretty confident I can tell (feel) when tyres are wearing / grip is diminished. 

Also seem to recall the frequency/risk of punctures increase with reducing tread depth. Another reason to change @2-3 mmm?

2 hours ago, Expatman said:

I have heard that CrossClimates are quiet with a comfortable ride and that's why I was favouring them when time came for a change. However now hearing good things about Goodyear 4 Seasons, have you had chance to compare your CrossClimates with the Goodyear's for ride and road noise?

No direct comparison I'm afraid. A family member had a Peugeot 2008 HDi which came with "grip control" and Goodyear vector 4 seasons. 

I did drive the Peugeot last year and it seemed quiet and reasonably "grippy", although of course I wasn't at liberty to drive the doors off it!

Edited by pinkpanther

As you have 2 sets of wheels you're better off keeping to a summer set and a winter set. Particularly if your alloys are diamond cut faced, as the winter salt will do them no good at all.

Winter tyres perform much better than crossclimate tyres in the cold weather.

Summer tyres perform much better than crossclimate tyres in warmer conditions.

Crossclimates are a compromise for people who don't have room for a 2nd set of wheels, or don't have the tools to swap them over.

18 hours ago, TruckbusUK said:

Depending on the rubber your using (I use Nokian WR SUV's G2's on the Volvo) and try to rotate and manage until the "advised" depth level is reached toward the end of the season, then just run the tyres out over the summer (I tend to ditch my tyres at 2mm any way.)

Never had a problem using them all year, and they coped very well with 40°+ temps in Italy. Obviously all tyres are different, but I've been using Nokian for the last 15 years like this without problems and all the "scare" stories of doom and "winters wear out in 100 miles" if you use them in summer  ....

Hope it helps :)

Yes I've found the same when using Michelin Alpins, in fact with my wife's previous Polo, the Alpin A3 were so "slow" to wear out that after their final winter use, as the car was being replaced later that year, I just ran it with the winters on to save some wear on the summers which might have made the car a bit more attractive to the next owner!

16 hours ago, pinkpanther said:

https://www.michelin.com/eng/media-room/press-and-news/michelin-news/Sustainable-development/Performance-up-to-the-legal-wear-limit-of-1.6mm

Not sure what to make of this as over the years I'm pretty confident I can tell (feel) when tyres are wearing / grip is diminished. 

Also seem to recall the frequency/risk of punctures increase with reducing tread depth. Another reason to change @2-3 mmm?

I seem to remember it was due to me expecting my wife to stay mobile in her Polo when fitted with Michelin Pilots that were all getting "down a bit", that prompted the purchase of a set of winter wheels and tyres again Michelin but Alpin A3, next time visited my local Costco for a couple of new Michelin Pilots, the tyre guy said "remember these should only be used up here in summer"  - I had already discovered that this was mainly very true, they did keep you very alert in winter though!

I've decided to go with Nokian Weatherproofs, just ordered them for fitting next week.

I'm leaving Isle of Skye in a few weeks for a new life in Fife. I've been up here for ten years so it will be odd going from west to east for sure.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, MarieK said:

I've decided to go with Nokian Weatherproofs, just ordered them for fitting next week.

I'm leaving Isle of Skye in a few weeks for a new life in Fife. I've been up here for ten years so it will be odd going from west to east for sure.

What are you changing from? I would be obliged if you would post a review of the Nokian's after a bit - I am changing to "All Weather" tyres when my current tyres need changing and am interested in Yeti drivers experiences with various makes including ride quality and cabin noise. 

2 minutes ago, Expatman said:

What are you changing from? I would be obliged if you would post a review of the Nokian's after a bit - I am changing to "All Weather" tyres when my current tyres need changing and am interested in Yeti drivers experiences with various makes including ride quality and cabin noise. 

I'm changing from the factory supplied Pirelli summer tyres. I usually buy winters but as we've not had much snow I thought I'd opt for the all seasons.

I will post a review when I'm settled in my new house and have trialed the tyres for a time.

12 minutes ago, MarieK said:

I'm changing from the factory supplied Pirelli summer tyres. I usually buy winters but as we've not had much snow I thought I'd opt for the all seasons.

I will post a review when I'm settled in my new house and have trialed the tyres for a time.

Thanks - your reasoning is the same as mine, new Yeti came with Goodyear Efficientgrips summer tyres (excellent tyres) and I change to Winter tyres (Nokians) at end of october then back to summers at end of March. However, all weather tyres seem to offer a good compromise and will save the twice yearly change and need to store extra wheels all year. When Efficientgrips need changing I will swap to all weathers and sell on the winter tyre/wheels.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Expatman said:

A big thumbs-up for the Weatherproofs. I had Nokian WR A3s as winter tyres, and the original Dunlop SP01s for the warmer half of the year. I swapped for the Nokians two years ago. The Weatherproofs beat both the SP01s & the WR A3s in noise, wet grip & wear, and are better in the snow than the dedicated winter tyres. Dry grip is not as good as dedicated summers, but that's only apparent in hard cornering - the majority of the time it's not noticeable.

I've recently bought a new pair of the Weatherproofs to replace the fronts, now down to 4.5mm after 23K miles - rears are at 6.5mm (I haven't rotated the tyres yet). There's still plenty of sipe depth on the fronts, but the edges are worn (from the aforementioned hard cornering) and as it does go off road a bit I want the better grip from more tread.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dbg400 said:

A big thumbs-up for the Weatherproofs. I had Nokian WR A3s as winter tyres, and the original Dunlop SP01s for the warmer half of the year. I swapped for the Nokians two years ago. The Weatherproofs beat both the SP01s & the WR A3s in noise, wet grip & wear, and are better in the snow than the dedicated winter tyres. Dry grip is not as good as dedicated summers, but that's only apparent in hard cornering - the majority of the time it's not noticeable.

I've recently bought a new pair of the Weatherproofs to replace the fronts, now down to 4.5mm after 23K miles - rears are at 6.5mm (I haven't rotated the tyres yet). There's still plenty of sipe depth on the fronts, but the edges are worn (from the aforementioned hard cornering) and as it does go off road a bit I want the better grip from more tread.  

Thanks, it has been reported that All weather tyres give a smoother ride than summers because of the "softer" rubber composition used in all weather tyres. Have you noticed any improvement in ride comfort from previous summers/winters?

I've just swapped to my Nokians for the winter. I reckon in another two years when the Yeti is 5 yrs old and I'll have done about 55K  I'll be up for a change of car and both sets of tyres will be worn[out]

A while ago on  http://www.carfile.net   I noticed that sometimes all seasons tyres came up as an option to order on the Octavia. I wonder if these will also be available on other Skodas such as the Karoq.

Colin

just slightly off topic

at what depth do "winter tyres" become less effective - say, versus normal tyres with a deeper thread

i.e. are almost new normal tyres more effective in winter than half used winter tyres?

Edited by BillN_33