Looking at a 2.0 vRS petrol - any advice?

SimpsonMrG

I'm worried about the issues with the engines basically dying on them, tensioners going, so on.

Anyone got a petty vRS from 09 - 12 that's been going a decent amount of miles?

I'll be buying one with at least 70k miles on it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/10/2017 at 11:01, SimpsonMrG said:

I'm worried about the issues with the engines basically dying on them, tensioners going, so on.

Anyone got a petty vRS from 09 - 12 that's been going a decent amount of miles?

I'll be buying one with at least 70k miles on it.

I had one up to 80k miles before trading it in for a 63 plate MK3. Drank oil for fun and the tensioner issue (though I never had it) did concern me. They are also prone to carbon build up in later mileages, and intake manifold replacement is also common.

On ‎14‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 18:26, ahenners said:

I had one up to 80k miles before trading it in for a 63 plate MK3. Drank oil for fun and the tensioner issue (though I never had it) did concern me. They are also prone to carbon build up in later mileages, and intake manifold replacement is also common.

Thanks for the info mate! Hows your MK3 treating you? And don't people have different experiences with the oil issues, some say it barely touches and others have to fill up all the time.

2 minutes ago, SimpsonMrG said:

Thanks for the info mate! Hows your MK3 treating you? And don't people have different experiences with the oil issues, some say it barely touches and others have to fill up all the time.

The MK3 is great, definitely a step forward from the MK2 FL. It helps that I found one loaded with 6k of options, whereas my MK2 was almost stock.

Yes the oil issue is very much a lottery, though many VW Group cars between 09-11 (iirc) got faulty piston rings which lead to the high consumption issue.

Same with the tensioner issue, there's probably loads out there that haven't failed, but that's little consolation for those who have experienced it and suffered a 4 figure bill for an engine replacement. You can replace the tensioner for a newer version (it was revised a few times) which should reduce the possibility, looking at about 500-700 from an indy all in - not sure if it cures it 100% though. Big thread in the MK2 section on this.

If you can get a later one i.e. 61-12 plate then I'd say your chances of oil issues and chain failure are lower, but unfortunately these are also higher priced and closer to MK3 money.

1 minute ago, ahenners said:

The MK3 is great, definitely a step forward from the MK2 FL. It helps that I found one loaded with 6k of options, whereas my MK2 was almost stock.

Yes the oil issue is very much a lottery, though many VW Group cars between 09-11 (iirc) got faulty piston rings which lead to the high consumption issue.

Same with the tensioner issue, there's probably loads out there that haven't failed, but that's little consolation for those who have experienced it and suffered a 4 figure bill for an engine replacement. You can replace the tensioner for a newer version (it was revised a few times) which should reduce the possibility, looking at about 500-700 from an indy all in - not sure if it cures it 100% though. Big thread in the MK2 section on this.

If you can get a later one i.e. 61-12 plate then I'd say your chances of oil issues and chain failure are lower, but unfortunately these are also higher priced and closer to MK3 money.

Yeah, it seems like it might be a better idea to wait a few more years to finally get my vRS :( There are a few 'very' cheap 12-14 plates on auto trader, which are questionable at best. Thanks again man :)

• 2 weeks later...