Cruise Control Warning Light

I've searched the Forum but cannot find any info ; returned to my car having been away for a week - on moving off I noticed the cruise warning light on the maxidot was orange with an exclamation mark alongside. Obviously a warning, not life threatening, but the cruise naturally didn't work. The next morning, all was good & working correctly, so I'm thinking maybe some damp had caused the temporary malfunction. However, later in the day it all occurred again - switching off & restarting solved it, and since then (3 days & 200 miles) it has worked perfectly. 

Any ideas as to the problem I encountered ?  

JKW

what is the precise error message itself? 

There's a whole bunch of stuff. Is it ACC? Is anything else turned off? Fuel type? Speed? Are you sure this is the "cruise warning light"? My front sensor seems to frequently decide to not work for some reason after it's visited the car park at the airport - but then it starts working again. I figure that one's dust...

The forum also has this, which took less than 10 seconds to find with google. The implication is the stalk may be faulty.

- Bret

It will be difficult to diagnose the problem without fault codes but cruise control will be disabled for many reasons, like problems with the brake switches, clutch pedal, Accelerator pedal, vehicle speed reading or stalk/switches themselves.

It may also be disabled due to other general issues like CAN communication problems or general engine sensor faults, however these should usually trigger some other fault messages in addition.

The easiset way to get to the cause is to read the fault codes with an OBD scanner or VCDS.

Alternatively a trip to the dealer...

All seems to be fine now - despite the various solutions offered ( some more useful than others !) I still think my initial suspicion that damp from sitting in an exposed car compound for a week being the cause was correct, but if the problem arises a dealer visit will be made.

No ACC, just normal cruise control , which is working just fine now ta - must have been "damp gremlins" causing the problem !!

• 2 weeks later...

the cruise error is an orange triangle with "!" inside it. 

The green tick mark on the dash is cruise on... in the pic, it'sthe one at the bottom. No error here.

- Bret

20171102_063500.jpg

Edited by brettikivi

• 5 months later...

OK.  I think I can help.  My January 2017 Octavia Estate SE Sport 1.6 TDI had the exclamation mark problem.  To be specific, sometimes on starting the engine the exclamation mark was present (and the cruise control would then not work), sometimes it wasn't present (and the CC would work perfectly).  The CC never switched itself on or off while driving: in other words, once the exclamation mark was present, it staying on until the next engine restart, when it was a toss up as to whether the restart would clear it.  Excellent dealer (Wings in Peterborough) spent many hours trying to solve it but no error code made their life difficult.  The UK Technical Support folk (at Milton Keynes, I think) suggested a stalk change - which didn't cure the problem.  They then suggested that the dealer should check for low cranking voltage, which was found.  Battery changed under warranty, I believe to a different type.  Part number is 000915105FC.  Problem solved.

SInce Tech Support now knows about the solution, your dealer should be able to get it sorted out for you at no cost if still in warranty.  Good luck.

3 hours ago, Brian L said:

OK.  I think I can help.  My January 2017 Octavia Estate SE Sport 1.6 TDI had the exclamation mark problem.  To be specific, sometimes on starting the engine the exclamation mark was present (and the cruise control would then not work), sometimes it wasn't present (and the CC would work perfectly).  The CC never switched itself on or off while driving: in other words, once the exclamation mark was present, it staying on until the next engine restart, when it was a toss up as to whether the restart would clear it.  Excellent dealer (Wings in Peterborough) spent many hours trying to solve it but no error code made their life difficult.  The UK Technical Support folk (at Milton Keynes, I think) suggested a stalk change - which didn't cure the problem.  They then suggested that the dealer should check for low cranking voltage, which was found.  Battery changed under warranty, I believe to a different type.  Part number is 000915105FC.  Problem solved.

SInce Tech Support now knows about the solution, your dealer should be able to get it sorted out for you at no cost if still in warranty.  Good luck.

Good update. Thanks. I had the warning the other week. Restarted and it was gone, and hasn’t returned. I’ll keep this in mind though. 

I started this thread last November when the problem first arose. I noticed it occasionally reappeared if the car "sat" for a couple of days, but always fixed itself after a restart. For the past 2 months it has behaved perfectly, even after not moving for a day or two. The car had its 1st service this week & I mentioned the problem - on collecting the car afterwards I completely forgot to ask if anything was found, although as I've said, all is in rude health now and long may it continue so !

On 11/05/2018 at 12:19, Brian L said:

Yes I agree except there are no errors logged. The dealer refused to do anything as there were no errors and could not replicate the problem. As the computerised there was nothing wrong then there could not possibly be anything wrong. I found elsewhere a suggestion it was the battery so replaced it problem solved . Due to the obstinate attitude of the dealer this is my last skoda sadly

• 3 years later...
On 11/05/2018 at 13:19, Brian L said:

Hi everyone,

i think i might be having a similar problem with my Skoda Octavia Combi 2016 1.6TDI, it started like people wrote, CC wouldn’t work and a warning sign (exclamation mark) would be present, but the restart, turning the car on and off again would fix the problem. It only happened every now and then.

Now the warning sign is always present when i turn on the car along with “Front Assist not available” message + the messages also show high power consumption in the Start Stop section. The car also doesn’t turn on completley “cleanly” or fast, it takes a second or two.

The warning sign goes away if i turn the car off and on after 10 minutes of driving and then the cruise control works normally.

Have anyone ane recommendations? Would chaeging the battery help? Or replacing it?

Seems like charging the battery with a decent charger would be a first step to do but use a good charger like a Ctek  msx5.0 to do a long maintenance charge.

Are your journeys short or does it get a long drive regularly, if short then could well be battery.

A couple of weeks back I had the same problem. The "front Assist Not Available" message flagged up on a couple of mornings but started ok then went out after driving. After that I hadn't used the car for three days and when I came to start it the battery was so low it wouldn't spin the starter. So as the car had a Moll efb battery and coming up to 5 year old I decided to change the battery. I got a new Varta agm battery. Fitted that and haven't had any more problems. Might be my imagination but the car even seems to be running better now as well.